Raul Rusescu in June 2014
|Full name||Raul Andrei Rusescu|
|Date of birth||9 July 1988|
|Place of birth||Râmnicu Vâlcea, Romania|
|Height||1.81 m (5 ft 11 1⁄2 in)|
|2006–2007||→ Dunărea Giurgiu (loan)||31||(13)|
|2007–2008||→ Otopeni (loan)||20||(4)|
|2013–2014||→ Braga (loan)||13||(5)|
|2014–2015||→ Steaua București (loan)||21||(4)|
* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 28 May 2015 (UTC).
CSM Râmnicu Vâlcea
At the age of 7 Rusescu was spotted by Cristi Bora at a trial and brought to Râmnicu Vâlcea. As a youth he tore open his calf when he fell out of a bus, and then subsequently broke his tibia falling down on ice. Here he was a group teammate with later Steaua București colleague Mihai Costea. Although he went through the youth systems of CSM Râmnicu Vâlcea in 2005 the then coach of the team, Adrian Furnică, decided that the player doesn't have value and that he is not likely to grow.
His team now being in the first tier of Romanian football he was loaned to Dunărea Giurgiu. Although not 18 yet, he quickly became a starter and finished the season with 13 goals overall. For the 2007–08 season he was again loaned to Liga II team CS Otopeni. He helped the gain promotion to the Liga I by scoring four goals in 20 games.
In his first year in Liga I with Unirea Urziceni he helped his team win the 2008–09 league title, earning a place in the group stages of the UEFA Champions League. He finished the season with five goals scored from 23 games.
In the 2009–10 campaign Rusescu scored eight goals from a total of 29 appearances helping Unirea Urziceni to finish second in the league and gather eight points in the UEFA Champions League group stages.
He made his Liga 1 debut on 31 July against CS Mioveni and scored his first goal for Steaua. In the next match, Rusescu scored his second goal for the club against FC Universitatea Cluj. Raul scored his first goal in a European competition for Steaua București against FC Schalke 04 in the 2011–12 UEFA Europa League. On the 5th of December, Raul Rusescu scored two sensational goals against Steaua's arch-rival, Dinamo, assuring his club a win in a match named by the two club's supporters the Eternal Derby and ending Steaua's seven-year winless streak on Dinamo's stadium. He has been deemed as a hero by the Steaua București supporters and the press. In the next Europa League group stage match, Rusescu scored again for Steaua from a penalty kick, helping his club beat AEK Larnaca F.C. and qualifying for the round of 32. At the end of 2011, Rusescu was Steaua's most prolific goalscorer with 7 goals in the Romanian championship and 2 in the Europa League.
Although not the fastest or the strongest striker, Rusescu's defining traits are his positioning and off the ball movement, along with great sense of goal that good poachers possess, making him a player capable of both creating chances as well as taking them.
On 7 March 2013, he scored from the penalty spot against Chelsea at the National Arena, to put Steaua 1–0 up in the Europa League Round of 16. On 12 March, Rusescu scored a goal against Universitatea Cluj. He scored again, on March 18, against Astra Ploiești in a game which finished 2–1, with teammate Paul Pârvulescu scoring the winning goal. On 8 April, Rusescu scored the second goal from the 4–1 victory against Sportul Studențesc.
Loan to Braga
At the end of 2013, Rusescu was loaned at Portuguese Primeira Liga club, Sporting Braga, with an option to buy. He made his Braga debut on 6 January 2014, in a 2-0 win against Arouca in Portuguese Cup. On 10 January, he scored 2 goals for Braga in his debut in Primeira Liga in a 3-0 win against Guimaraes.
Rusescu is an ex-Romania U-21 international, earning 7 caps and scoring 2 goals. He played in the 2011 UEFA European Under-21 Football Championship, losing in the play-offs against England U-21.
- (Correct as of 31 May 2015)
|Dunărea Giurgiu (loan)|
|Steaua București Total||86||38||7||2||3||2||25||12||1||0||122||54|
- Unirea Urziceni:
- FC Steaua Bucureşti:
- Sevilla FC:
- Bora l-a vazut la un trial la doar 7 ani
- Ca junior s-a accidentat grav cazand din autobuz si pe gheata
- In 2005 a fost dat afara de la CSM RV
- Rusescu a fost imprumutat la Dunarea Giurgiu
- Rusescu a marcat 13 goluri pentru Dunarea Giurgiu
- Rusescu imprumutat la Otopeni
- Rusescu a promovat cu Otopeni
- Unirea Urziceni campioana romaniei
- Statisics of Rusescu at Urziceni
- Raul Rusescu statistici pentru Urziceni
- Steaua l-a luat si pe Ruesescu
- Cronica partidei Steaua-Mioveni
- Rusescu scores against Shalke 04
- Statistics for Steaua-Dinamo
- Steaua viseaza din nou la titlu dupa 3-1 cu Dinamo
- Rusescu scores against AEK Larnaca
- Rusescu este primul in topul marcatorilor la Steaua
- "Eroul Stelei e satisfăcut". Gazeta Sporturilor. 7 March 2012. Retrieved 7 March 2012.
- Raul Rusescu deschide scorul cu Cluj
- Diagonala spre titlu
- Pass hattrick
- "Raul Rusescu, máximo goleador de la Liga rumana, firma por cinco campañas" (in Spanish). Sevilla FC Official Website. 13 June 2013.
- National team statistics at soccerway
- Rusescu at U-21 European Championship
|Steaua Top Scorer