Ravanna was platted in 1857. A variant name was "Sonoma". A post office called Sonoma was established in 1855, the name was changed to Ravanna in 1858, and the post office closed in 1975. The present name most likely is a transfer from Ravenna, Ohio.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Ravanna Census Designated Place
- Ramsay, Robert L. (1952). Our Storehouse of Missouri Place Names. University of Missouri Press. p. 25.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: 735816
- "Post Offices". Jim Forte Postal History. Retrieved 5 November 2016.
- "Mercer County Place Names, 1928–1945". The State Historical Society of Missouri. Archived from the original on June 24, 2016. Retrieved November 5, 2016.
|This Mercer County, Missouri state location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|