Pottinger (District Electoral Area)
District Electoral Area
Map showing Pottinger wards within Belfast
|Area||6.17 km2 (2.38 sq mi)|
|Population||31,272 (2008 Estimate)|
|• Density||5,068/km2 (13,130/sq mi)|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|EU Parliament||Northern Ireland|
Pottinger was one of the nine district electoral areas (DEA) in Belfast, Northern Ireland from 1985 to 2014. Located in the east of the city, the district elected six members to Belfast City Council and contained the wards of Ballymacarrett, Bloomfield, Orangefield, Ravenhill, The Mount, and Woodstock.
The wards of Ravenhill and Woodstock were part of the Belfast South constituencies for the Northern Ireland Assembly and UK Parliament, while the other four were part of the Belfast East Assembly and Parliamentary constituencies.
The district was bounded to the west by the River Lagan and the Ormeau Road, to the north by the Newtownards Road, to the east by Greenville Park and North Road and the Borough of Castlereagh to the south.
At the 2001 census the district had a Protestant majority, however there was also a large Catholic minority, particularly in areas such as the Short Strand, which is separated from the mainly unionist Cluan Place by one of the many peace lines in the district.
The DEA was created for the 1985 local elections, when it largely replaced the former electoral Area A. Five of the six wards came from Area A with the Bloomfield ward added from Area B. It was abolished for the 2014 local elections, when all of its wards except Orangefield formed part of a new Titanic district electoral area. The Orangefield ward became part of a new Lisnasharragh district electoral area.
Amenities in the Pottinger district electoral area include:
|Catholic||Protestant||Other||No Religion||Area||Density||NI Assembly||UK Parliament||Ref|
|1||Ballymacarrett||4,908||51.4%||41.2%||1.4%||6.2%||0.78 km2||6,292 /km2||Belfast East||Belfast East|||
|2||Bloomfield||5,453||16.1%||69.7%||1.7%||12.5%||0.74 km2||7,369 /km2||Belfast East||Belfast East|||
|3||Orangefield||5,619||11%||77%||1.4%||10.6%||1.46 km2||3,849 /km2||Belfast East||Belfast East|||
|4||Ravenhill||6,041||39.7%||46.9%||2%||11.5%||1.88 km2||3,213 /km2||Belfast South||Belfast South|||
|5||The Mount||5,591||16.1%||68.3%||1.3%||14.3%||0.75 km2||7,455 /km2||Belfast East||Belfast East|||
|6||Woodstock||5,445||19.4%||63.3%||2.8%||14.5%||0.56 km2||9,723 /km2||Belfast South||Belfast South|||
|Pottinger||33,057||25.3%||61.2%||1.8%||11.7%||6.17 km2||5,358 /km2|
|Niall Ó Donnghaile
|Adam Newton |
|Margaret McKenzie |
|Margaret Clarke |
|Robert Clelland |
|Sandy Blair |
|Margaret Clarke |
|1985||F Leslie |
|Belfast City Council elections, 2011|
|Sinn Féin||Niall Ó Donnghaile||1,077|
|SDLP||Séamas de Faoite||456|
|Green (NI)||David Newman||223|
|Socialist Party||Thomas Black||150|
|Workers' Party||Kevin McNally||104|
|People Before Profit||Donna McCusker||70|
|Sinn Féin gain from Ulster Unionist|
- Belfast City Council
- Electoral wards of Belfast
- Local government in Northern Ireland
- Members of Belfast City Council
- Belfast Pottinger (UK Parliament constituency)
- Belfast Pottinger (Northern Ireland Parliament constituency)
- Belfast Willowfield (Northern Ireland Parliament constituency)
- "Ward Information for Ballymacarrett ward 95GG04". NISRA. Retrieved 22 December 2013.
- "Ward Information for Bloomfield (Belfast) ward 95GG11". NISRA. Retrieved 22 December 2013.
- "Ward Information for Orangefield ward 95GG36". NISRA. Retrieved 22 December 2013.
- "Ward Information for Ravenhill ward 95GG37". NISRA. Retrieved 22 December 2013.
- "Ward Information for The Mount ward 95GG44". NISRA. Retrieved 22 December 2013.
- "Ward Information for Woodstock ward 95GG50". NISRA. Retrieved 22 December 2013.
- Elections 2011: Pottinger, Belfast City Council