Sveti Urh (until 1955)
|Traditional region||Upper Carniola|
|Statistical region||Central Sava|
|Municipality||Zagorje ob Savi|
|• Total||4.41 km2 (1.70 sq mi)|
|Elevation||423.9 m (1,390.7 ft)|
Ravenska Vas (pronounced [ɾaˈʋeːnska ˈʋaːs] or [ˈɾaːʋɛnska ˈʋaːs]; Slovene: Ravenska vas, formerly Sveti Urh, German: Sankt Ulrich) is a settlement immediately east and southeast of Zagorje ob Savi in central Slovenia. The area is part of the traditional region of Upper Carniola. It is now included with the rest of the municipality in the Central Sava Statistical Region.
The name of the settlement was changed from Sveti Urh (literally, 'Saint Ulrich') to Ravenska vas (literally, 'level village') in 1955. The name was changed on the basis of the 1948 Law on Names of Settlements and Designations of Squares, Streets, and Buildings as part of efforts by Slovenia's postwar communist government to remove religious elements from toponyms.
Ravenska Vas is the site of five known mass graves associated with the Second World War. They all contain the remains of unidentified victims. The Snežet Mass Grave (Slovene: Grobišče Snežet) is located in the woods 500 m south of the house at Ravenska Vas no. 38. The Birch Mass Grave (Grobišče Pod brezo) is located in the woods 300 m east of the house at Ravenska Vas no. 39. The Ravenska Vas 1–3 mass graves (Grobišče Ravenska vas 1–3) are located in a meadow on the edge of the woods.
The local church is dedicated to Saint Ulrich (Slovene: sveti Urh) and belongs to the Parish of Zagorje ob Savi. It dates to the late 16th century and was restyled in the Baroque in the late 18th century.
- Statistical Office of the Republic of Slovenia
- Leksikon občin kraljestev in dežel zastopanih v državnem zboru, vol. 6: Kranjsko. 1906. Vienna: C. Kr. Dvorna in Državna Tiskarna, p. 96.
- Zagorje ob Savi municipal site
- Spremembe naselij 1948–95. 1996. Database. Ljubljana: Geografski inštitut ZRC SAZU, DZS.
- Premk, F. 2004. Slovenska versko-krščanska terminologija v zemljepisnih imenih in spremembe za čas 1921–1967/68. Besedoslovne lastnosti slovenskega jezika: slovenska zemljepisna imena. Ljubljana: Slavistično društvo Slovenije, pp. 113–132.
- Urbanc, Mimi, & Matej Gabrovec. 2005. Krajevna imena: poligon za dokazovanje moči in odraz lokalne identitete. Geografski vestnik 77(2): 25–43.
- Snežet Mass Grave on Geopedia (Slovene)
- Birch Mass Grave on Geopedia (Slovene)
- Ravenska Vas 1 Mass Grave on Geopedia (Slovene)
- Ravenska Vas 2 Mass Grave on Geopedia (Slovene)
- Ravenska Vas 3 Mass Grave on Geopedia (Slovene)
- Slovenian Ministry of Culture register of national heritage reference number ešd 2691