|Full name||Ravshan Sayfiddinovich Irmatov|
August 9, 1977 |
Tashkent, Uzbek SSR, Soviet Union
Ravshan Sayfiddinovich Irmatov (Uzbek: Ravshan Sayfiddinovich Ermatov, Равшан Сайфиддинович Эрматов, Russian: Равша́н Сайфидди́нович Ирма́тов; born August 9, 1977) is an Uzbek professional football referee. He has officiated in the Uzbek League since 2000, as well as at international level since 2003.
Biography and career
Irmatov's father was also a referee, working in Soviet competitions. He has been a full international referee for FIFA since 2003. He is considered one of the elite referees in the world. He was selected as a referee for the 2007 FIFA U-20 World Cup in Canada, where he refereed the group stage match between Gambia and Mexico, as well as the match between Chile and Congo.
Irmatov was selected as a referee for the 2010 FIFA World Cup and was in charge of the opening match between South Africa and Mexico on June 11. His appointment is the highest accolade so far for Asian referees in that year's World Cup. Irmatov equalled the record for number of matches in charge in a single FIFA World Cup when he took charge of the Netherlands-Uruguay semi-final. He took charge of the World Cup 2010 Group C Fixture, where England met Algeria in Cape Town – thus becoming the youngest official to take charge of an opening World Cup match since 1934 and the youngest referee of 2010 FIFA World Cup. Irmatov also officiated at the 2011 AFC Asian Cup and was selected to referee the final between Australia and Japan.
Irmatov was selected as a referee at the 2013 FIFA Confederations Cup. In the Group A match between Brazil and Italy on 22 June, he blew his whistle to award Italy a penalty and was seen pointing at the penalty spot. A second later, as play continued, Giorgio Chiellini scored with a low shot, with Irmatov instead pointing to the half way line to signal a goal. Irmatov admitted to his mistake after the game saying: “While I was whistling for a penalty, out of the corner of my eye I saw the goal and I thought advantage should be played and gave the goal.”
On 27 December 2015 at Globe Soccer Awards ceremony in Dubai Ravshan Irmatov was named as Best Referee of the Year in 2015. On 31 December 2015 president of Uzbekistan Islam Karimov signed a decree “On awarding Ravshan Irmatov with the order Buyuk Hizmatlari Uchun” (For outstanding services). On 4 March 2016 Irmatov was named Referee of the Year 2015 in Uzbekistan by Football Federation for 10th time after survey results among sport journalists.
- Uzbekistan Referee of the Year (10): 2006, 2007 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015
- AFC Referee of the Year (5): 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2014
- Globe Soccer Award for the Best Referee of the Year: 2015
- El-Yurt Hurmati (Honour of people and Motherland) in 2014
- Buyuk Hizmatlari Uchun (For outstanding services) in 2015
- 2015 AFC Asian Cup
- 2014 FIFA World Cup
- 2013 EAFF East Asian Cup
- 2012 AFF Suzuki Cup
- 2014 FIFA World Cup qualification (AFC)
- 2012 Summer Olympics
- 2011 AFC Asian Cup
- 2010 FIFA World Cup
- 2008 FIFA Club World Cup
“AFC is now giving a lot of attention to refereeing. It will bear fruits soon. We had nothing like Project Future before. It is just a matter of time before Asian referees do AFC and the continent very proud.”
- "Ravshan Irmatov to officiate opening match of 2010 FIFA World Cup South Africa". Uzdaily.com. 2009-10-28. Retrieved 2010-06-07.
- "Ravshan Irmatov appointed for 2010 FIFA World Cup". UzDaily.com. Retrieved 2010-06-07.
- "FIFA 2010 World Cup Referee List". Fifa.com. 2010-06-01. Retrieved 2010-06-07.
- Cheese, Caroline (1990-02-11). "South Africa 1-1 Mexico". BBC News. Retrieved 2010-06-11.
- "Italy 2 Brazil 4". Daily Mail. 22 June 2013. Retrieved 24 June 2013.
- "Ref admits error in allowing Italy goal". ESPN. 22 June 2013. Retrieved 24 June 2013.
- "Referee admits mistake in Italy vs. Brazil match". CBC.ca. 22 June 2013. Retrieved 24 June 2013.
- "Messi batte Ronaldo e Buffon" (in Italian). Rai Sport. 2015-12-27.
- "Ravshan Irmatov named as best referee of 2015". UzDaily. 2015-12-28.
- "President awards Ravshan Irmatov with Buyuk Hizmatlari Uchun order". UzDaily. 2015-12-31.
- "Irmatov heeds call of the mountains". the-afc.com. Retrieved 2009-08-31.
|FIFA Club World Cup final match referees
|FIFA Club World Cup final match referees
|AFC Asian Cup final match referees