Ray's Hell Burger
|Ray's Hell Burger|
|Current owner(s)||Michael Landrum|
|Food type||American, Fast food|
|Street address||1725 Wilson Blvd.|
Ray's Hell Burger was a hamburger restaurant in Arlington, Virginia, United States. It's only main dish offerings were hamburgers, served in a few variations including gourmet toppings. Ray's Hell Burger is the third eatery established by Washington, D.C. restaurateur Michael Landrum, who also owns the steakhouse Ray's the Steaks in Arlington. "Ray" is a nickname given to Landrum by a former girlfriend. It opened on July 1, 2008, and while there was no public relations blitz for the opening, popularity of the restaurant's following grew quickly. Burger toppings were unique, and included seared foie gras, roasted bone marrow, and double-cream brie.
United States president Barack Obama took Russian president Dmitry Medvedev to Ray's Hell Burger in June 2010. President Obama also ate at the restaurant with Vice President Joe Biden in May 2009. That first visit caused such an increase in business that it forced Landrum to expand the restaurant at an adjacent location.
The Rosslyn location closed on May 13, 2017. A location on K Street remains open.
- The legal name of the restaurant, as of 2008[update], was Butcher Burgers. Source: Levine, Sara (July 7, 2008). "An Early Look at Ray's Hell-Burger". Washingtonian.
- Levine, Sara (July 7, 2008). "An Early Look at Ray's Hell-Burger". Washingtonian.
- Kliman, Todd (August 14, 2008). "Word of Mouth: Ray's Hell-Burger". Washingtonian.
- Siestema, Tom (July 23, 2008). "More Bright Ray's Shine in Arlington". The Washington Post.
- Carman, Tim (September 28, 2007). "To Beef or Not to Beef?: Michael Landrum is a guy who likes to turn up the heat. And not just to sear his steaks". Washington City Paper.
- Siestema, Tom (June 29, 2003). "A Rare Steakhouse; From goofy name to moderate prices, Ray's the Steaks has a personality all its own". The Washington Post. ("Ray incidentally is a nickname given to the chef by a former girlfriend")
- John Metcalfe Forget politics, just have fun December 31, 2009 The National (Abu Dhabi)
- Spiegel, Anna (September 11, 2014). "Back to Hell: Ray's Hell-Burger Is Reborn". Washingtonian. Retrieved December 27, 2017.
- Shear, Michael (24 June 2010). "Obama, Medvedev chow down at Ray's Hell Burger". The Washington Post. Retrieved 24 June 2010.
- Abraham, Zennie (June 24, 2010). "Ray's Hell Burger gets Obama and Medvedev". San Francisco Chronicle.
- Jackson, David & Hall, Mimi (May 6, 2009). "Obama goes to Hell and back, all for a burger". USA Today.
- Barakat, Matthew (Associated Press) (July 11, 2010). "Appetite for "better burgers" shows no satiety". Belleville News-Democrat.("Ray's Hell Burger, also in Arlington, is not a chain, but the restaurant run by iconoclastic chef Michael Landrum earned a national profile with President Barack Obama taking Vice President Joe Biden and Russian President Dmitry Medvedev there last month. (Medvedev's review: "Not quite healthy, but it's very tasty.")")
- Carman, Tim (June 9, 2009). "Landrum Releases 'The Catch' to Bring On More Burgers". Washington City Paper.("The story got play in media outlets half way across the globe, including Saudi Arabia, Landrum notes.")
- "Ray's Hell Burger to Close in Rosslyn". arlnow.com. 2017-05-12. Retrieved 2017-10-25.
Beginning Sunday, May 14  this location of Ray’s Hell-Burger will be on hiatus. The last service will be on Saturday, May 13. Please continue to visit Ray’s Hell Burger at 449 K Street NW, 7 days a week.