Ray & Liz
|Ray & Liz|
|Directed by||Richard Billingham|
|Produced by||Jacqui Davies|
|Screenplay by||Richard Billingham|
|Edited by||Tracy Granger|
Ray & Liz is a 2018 British drama film written and directed by Richard Billingham, his feature debut. The film retells Billingham's troubled childhood growing up in a Black Country council flat during the Thatcher era. It focuses "on his parents Ray and Liz, their relationship, and its impact on Richard and his younger brother Jason." Billingham, a photographer, previously published the book Ray's a Laugh (1996), with photographs of his family at the time depicted in the film.
The film has an origin in Ray, a single-screen video artwork that premiered at Glynn Vivian Art Gallery in Wales in 2015. Prior to that its origins lie in Billingham's mid-1990s snapshots of his alcoholic father Ray, chain-smoking mother Liz and younger brother Jason, collected in the book Ray's a Laugh (1996) and included in the art exhibition Sensation that premiered in 1997.
- Ella Smith as Liz
- Deirdre Kelly as Older Liz
- Justin Sallinger as Ray
- Patrick Romer as Older Ray
- Callum Slater as 2-year-old Jason
- Joshua Millard-Lloyd as 10-year-old Jason
- Jacob Tuton as 10-year-old Richard
- Sam Plant as teenage Richard
- Tony Way as Lol
- Sam Gittins as Will
- Michelle Bonnard as Zeinab
As of October 2018, Ray & Liz has a score of 91 on the review aggregate website Metacritic, based on 5 reviews. Guy Lodge of Variety described the film as "a rare and remarkable cine-memoir ... a uniquely moving work of self-identification and self-illustration, bristling with pride, anger and even some regret — for the general ugly state of things, certainly, but perhaps for a family he’s come to see, and shoot, a little differently over the decades."
- Special Mention, Locarno Festival for Billingham
- Sutherland Award for Best First Film, London Film Festival, nomination
- Adams, Tim (13 March 2016). "Mr and Mrs Billingham and Frosty Jack's". The Guardian. Retrieved 2018-09-04.
- "'Ray & Liz': Film Review". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 2018-09-04.
- "Locarno first look: Ray & Liz reveals a troubled family scrap by scrap". British Film Institute. Retrieved 2018-09-04.
- Film, British Council. "British Council Film: Ray and Liz". film.britishcouncil.org. Retrieved 2018-09-04.
- "First trailer for Richard Billingham's 'Ray & Liz' (exclusive)". Screen International. Retrieved 2018-09-04.
- Lodge, Guy (7 August 2018). "Locarno Film Review: 'Ray & Liz'". Variety. Retrieved 2018-09-04.
- Ray & Liz. Metacritic.
- Locarno Film Review: ‘Ray & Liz’. Variety.
- "Locarno Film Festival 2018: Ray & Liz, M, & Menocchio". Slant Magazine. Retrieved 2018-09-04.
- "Locarno's top prize goes to Singapore's 'A Land Imagined'". Screen International. Retrieved 2018-09-04.
- Lodge, Guy (13 August 2018). "'A Land Imagined,' 'BlacKkKlansman,' Women Directors Win at Locarno Fest". Variety. Retrieved 2018-09-04.