|Born||Raymond Anthony Borg|
August 4, 1993
Tucson, Arizona, United States
|Other names||The Tazmexican Devil|
|Height||5 ft 4 in (163 cm)|
|Weight||125 lb (57 kg; 8 st 13 lb)|
|Reach||63 in (160 cm)|
|Fighting out of||Albuquerque, New Mexico, United States|
|Team||Jackson Wink MMA Academy|
|Mixed martial arts record|
|Mixed martial arts record from Sherdog|
last updated on: November 13, 2014
Raymond Anthony "Ray" Borg (born August 4, 1993), is an American mixed martial artist who competes in the flyweight division of the Ultimate Fighting Championship. A professional MMA competitor since 2012, Borg made a name for himself fighting mostly in his native Southwestern United States, competing in promotions like King of the Cage and Legacy Fighting Championship.
Ultimate Fighting Championship
After a successful career in United States, with an undefeated 6-0 mixed martial arts record, it was revealed in April 2014, that Borg had signed with the UFC.
Borg was scheduled to face Ryan Benoit, at UFC Fight Night: Swanson vs. Stephens. However, due to an injury, Benoit was replaced by promotional newcomer Shane Howell. Borg won the fight via submission (rear-naked choke) in the first round. The win also won Borg his first Performance of the Night bonus award.
Borg was briefly linked to a potential fight against Richie Vaculik on November 8, 2014, at UFC Fight Night 55. However, Borg was forced to pull out of the event due to injury and was replaced by Neil Seery. Subsequently, Seery pulled out of that bout as well and was replaced by Louis Smolka.
Borg faced Chris Kelades on February 14, 2015, at UFC Fight Night 60. Borg won the one sided fight via submission in the third round, earning him his second consecutive Performance of the Night award.
Following a quick recovery, Borg was quickly rescheduled and was expected to face Ian McCall on September 10, 2016, at UFC 203. However, Borg pulled out of the fight on September 7 citing an illness. With no time to find a suitable replacement, McCall was removed from the card.
Borg next faced Louis Smolka on December 30, 2016, at UFC 207. At the weigh-ins, Borg missed weight for the bout, coming in at 129.5 pounds. As a result, he was fined 30% of his fight purse, which went to Smolka, who agreed to take a catchweight bout. Borg won the fight by unanimous decision.
Borg was expected to face current champion Demetrious Johnson on September 9, 2017, at UFC 215. In turn, the fight was canceled a day before the event, as Borg was forced to withdraw from the fight on Thursday evening due to illness. According to multiple sources, Borg has been battling an illness this week and was deemed unfit to fight by UFC doctors. The bout was quickly rescheduled and took place the following month at UFC 216. Borg lost the bout via suplex to armbar in the fifth round.
Borg was expected to face Brandon Moreno on April 7, 2018, at UFC 223, but was removed from the card after being injured by glass from a bus window that was smashed by Conor McGregor and Team SBG. The pairing was left intact and quickly rescheduled and was expected to take place on May 19, 2018, at UFC Fight Night 129. However, in late April, Borg withdrew from the bout to take care of his child from brain surgery.
Borg was expected to face Joseph Benavidez on November 10, 2018, at UFC Fight Night 139. However on November 7, 2018 it was reported that the bout was cancelled due to undisclosed medical issues for Borg.
Borg was expected to face Pingyuan Liu in a bantamweight bout on March 30, 2019 at UFC on ESPN 2. However, it was reported on March 13, that Liu was replaced by newcomer Kyler Phillips for an undisclosed reason. In turn, Phillips was removed from the card on March 25 for undisclosed reasons and replaced by Casey Kenney. At the weigh-ins, Borg weighed in at 137.75 lbs, 1.75 pound over the bantamweight non-title fight limit of 136 lbs. He was fined 20% of his fight purse and his bout against Kenney proceeded at catchweight. Borg would go on to lose the fight by a controversial unanimous decision.
Championships and accomplishments
Mixed martial arts
Mixed martial arts record
|Professional record breakdown|
|16 matches||12 wins||4 losses|
|Win||12–4||Gabriel Silva||Decision (unanimous)||UFC on ESPN: dos Anjos vs. Edwards||July 20, 2019||3||5:00||San Antonio, Texas, United States|
|Loss||11–4||Casey Kenney||Decision (unanimous)||UFC on ESPN: Barboza vs. Gaethje||March 30, 2019||3||5:00||Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States||Return to Bantamweight; Borg missed weight (137 lbs).|
|Loss||11–3||Demetrious Johnson||Submission (flying armbar)||UFC 216||October 7, 2017||5||3:15||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States||For the UFC Flyweight Championship.|
|Win||11–2||Jussier Formiga||Decision (unanimous)||UFC Fight Night: Belfort vs. Gastelum||March 11, 2017||3||5:00||Fortaleza, Brazil|
|Win||10–2||Louis Smolka||Decision (unanimous)||UFC 207||December 30, 2016||3||5:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States||Catchweight (129.5 lbs) bout; Borg missed weight.|
|Loss||9–2||Justin Scoggins||Decision (unanimous)||UFC Fight Night: Hendricks vs. Thompson||February 6, 2016||3||5:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Win||9–1||Geane Herrera||Decision (unanimous)||UFC Fight Night: Teixeira vs. Saint Preux||August 8, 2015||3||5:00||Nashville, Tennessee, United States||Catchweight (126.75 lbs) bout; Borg missed weight.|
|Win||8–1||Chris Kelades||Submission (kimura)||UFC Fight Night: Henderson vs. Thatch||February 14, 2015||3||2:56||Broomfield, Colorado, United States||Performance of the Night.|
|Win||7–1||Shane Howell||Technical Submission (rear-naked choke)||UFC Fight Night: Swanson vs. Stephens||June 28, 2014||1||2:17||San Antonio, Texas, United States||Performance of the Night.|
|Loss||6–1||Dustin Ortiz||Decision (split)||UFC on Fox: Werdum vs. Browne||April 19, 2014||3||5:00||Orlando, Florida, United States|
|Win||6–0||Nick Urso||Submission (rear-naked choke)||Legacy FC 30||April 4, 2014||2||4:01||Albuquerque, New Mexico, United States|
|Win||5–0||Jeimeson Saudino||Submission (rear-naked choke)||SCS 20||November 23, 2013||2||4:22||Hinton, Oklahoma, United States||Won the SCS Flyweight Championship.|
|Win||4–0||Angelo Sanchez||Decision (unanimous)||Triple A MMA 3: North vs. South||August 18, 2013||3||5:00||Albuquerque, New Mexico, United States|
|Win||3–0||Lee Lindow||TKO (punches)||KOTC: World Championships||May 25, 2013||1||1:59||Scottsdale, Arizona, United States|
|Win||2–0||Peter Baltimore||Technical Submission (rear-naked choke)||KOTC: Regulators||January 19, 2013||1||4:03||Scottsdale, Arizona, United States|
|Win||1–0||Gene Perez||Submission (rear-naked choke)||KOTC: Ignite||August 11, 2012||1||3:01||Santa Fe, New Mexico, United States|
- "Fight Card - UFC Fight Night Henderson vs. Thatch". UFC.com. Retrieved February 15, 2015.
- "STATE OF NEVADA DEPARTMENT OF BUSINESS AND INDUSTRYATHLETIC COMMISSION" (PDF). boxing.nv.gov. October 7, 2017. Retrieved August 6, 2019.
- Trula Howe (2014-04-02). "Borg vs Urso – Clash of the Flyweight Prospects". legacyfights.net. Retrieved 2014-04-02.
- Zane Simon (2014-04-10). "Welcome to the UFC Ray Borg". bloodyelbow.com. Retrieved 2014-04-10.
- Jason Floyd (2014-04-11). "Undefeated flyweight Ray Borg signs with UFC, meets Dustin Ortiz at UFC on FOX 11". themmareport.com. Retrieved 2014-04-11.
- Ben Fowlkes (2014-04-19). "UFC on FOX 11 results, photos: Dustin Ortiz takes split call from gritty Ray Borg". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2014-04-19.
- Staff (2014-06-06). "Ryan Benoit vs. Ray Borg added to UFC Fight Night 44 in San Antonio". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2014-06-06.
- John Morgan (2014-06-18). "Ryan Benoit out at UFC Fight Night 44, Ray Borg now meets Shane Howell". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2014-06-18.
- Ben Fowles (2014-06-28). "UFC Fight Night 44 results: Ray Borg dazzles, taps out Shane Howell". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2014-06-28.
- Staff (2014-06-29). "UFC Fight Night 44 bonuses: Swanson, Stephens, Borg, Carlos Diego Ferreira get $50,000 awards". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2014-06-29.
- Jacob Cooper (2014-09-24). "Richie Vaculik vs. Ray Borg added to UFC Fight Night 55". fansided.com. Retrieved 2014-09-24.
- Staff (2014-09-29). "Neil Seery meets Richie Vaculik at UFC Fight Night 55 in Sydney". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2014-09-29.
- James Carroll (2014-10-28). "Neil Seery out of UFC Fight Night 55 against Richie Vaculik, Louis Smolka steps in". mmamad.com. Archived from the original on 2014-10-28. Retrieved 2014-10-28.
- Jeremy Brand (2014-11-10). "Chris Kelades vs. Ray Borg added to UFC Fight Night Colorado". mmasucka.com. Retrieved 2014-11-10.
- Brent Brookhouse (2015-02-14). "UFC Fight Night 60 results, photos: Ray Borg taps Chris Kelades with kimura". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2015-02-14.
- Staff (2015-02-15). "UFC Fight Night 60 bonuses: Neil Magny got his first $50,000. Who joined him?". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2015-02-15.
- Staff (2015-07-06). "Flyweight prospects Ray Borg, Geane Herrera set to clash at UFC Fight Night in Nashville". sherdog.com. Retrieved 2015-07-06.
- Ben Fowlkes (2015-08-08). "UFC Fight Night 73 results: Ray Borg bleeds way to decision win over Geane Herrera". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2015-08-08.
- Staff (2016-01-07). "Ray Borg meets Justin Scoggins at UFC Fight Night 82 in Las Vegas". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2016-01-07.
- Steven Marrocco (2016-02-06). "UFC Fight Night 82 results: Justin Scoggins rolls past Ray Borg, wants title shot in 2016". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2016-02-06.
- Danny Doherty (2016-07-16). "UFC 201 adds Ray Borg vs. Freddy Serrano". cagepages.com. Retrieved 2016-07-16.
- Rob Tatum (2016-07-21). "Ray Borg injured, Fredy Serrano now meets Ryan Benoit at UFC 201". combatpress.com. Retrieved 2016-07-29.
- Brian Martin (2016-08-04). "Ian McCall vs. Ray Borg added to UFC 203 in Cleveland". dailynews.com. Retrieved 2016-08-04.
- Staff (2016-09-08). "Lightning strikes again for Ian McCall: Fight with Ray Borg pulled from Saturday's UFC 203". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2016-09-08.
- Marc Raimondi (2016-10-24). "Louis Smolka to meet Ray Borg at UFC 207". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2016-10-24.
- Staff (2016-12-29). "UFC 207 early weigh-in results: Rousey hits 135, Hendricks and Borg miss weight". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2016-12-29.
- Dave Doyle (2016-12-30). "UFC 207 results: Ray Borg rolls over Louis Smolka". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2016-12-30.
- Guilherme Cruz (2017-01-23). "Jussier Formiga vs. Ray Borg set for UFC Fight Night: Fortaleza". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2017-01-23.
- Ben Fowlkes (2017-03-11). "UFC Fight Night 106 results: Ray Borg outworks Jussier Formiga in crucial flyweight battle". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2017-03-11.
- Dave Doyle (2017-07-20). "Demetrious Johnson vs. Ray Borg set for UFC 215". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2017-07-20.
- Ariel Helwani (2017-09-08). "Demetrious Johnson vs. Ray Borg UFC 215 main event canceled". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2017-09-08.
- Shaun Al-Shatti (2017-09-13). "Demetrious Johnson vs. Ray Borg rebooked for UFC 216". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2017-09-13.
- "UFC 216 results: Insane Demetrious Johnson armbar forces Ray Borg tap in fifth round". MMAjunkie. 2017-10-08. Retrieved 2017-10-08.
- Tristen Critchfield (2018-01-31). "Ray Borg vs. Brandon Moreno moved from UFC Fight Night 126 to UFC 223 due to injury". sherdog.com. Retrieved 2018-01-31.
- Brandon Wise (2018-04-05). "UFC 223: Michael Chiesa, Ray Borg forced out of action after Conor McGregor incident". cbssports.com. Retrieved 2018-04-05.
- Danny Segura (2018-04-11). "Ray Borg vs. Brandon Moreno rebooked for UFC Chile". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2018-04-11.
- "Ray Borg withdraws from UFC Chile bout vs. Brandon Moreno due to child's surgery". MMA Fighting. Retrieved 2018-04-29.
- Jay Anderson (2018-08-07). "Ray Borg vs. Joseph Benavidez Joins UFC Denver". cagesidepress.com. Retrieved 2018-08-07.
- "Ray Borg vs. Joseph Benavidez scratched from UFC Denver due to 'medical issues' for Borg". Bloody Elbow. Retrieved 2018-11-08.
- Marcel Dorff (2019-02-26). "Ray Borg goes to Bantamweight and fights Pingyuan Liu at UFC Philadelphia" (in Dutch). mmadna.nl. Retrieved 2019-02-26.
- Marcel Dorff. "Kyler Phillips tackles short notice fight against Ray Borg during UFC Philadelphia" (in Dutch). mmadna.com. Retrieved 2019-03-13.
- Mike Bohn (2019-03-25). "LFA double champ Casey Kenney steps in vs. Ray Borg on short notice at UFC Philadelphia". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2019-03-26.
- "UFC on ESPN 2 weigh-in results: Barboza, Gaethje official, but Ray Borg misses". MMA Junkie. 2019-03-29. Retrieved 2019-03-29.
- "UFC Philadelphia: Casey Kenney wins unpopular decision over Ray Borg". MMA Junkie. 2019-03-30. Retrieved 2019-03-31.
- Alex Miller (2019-06-04). "Fights added to UFC San Antonio card July 20". mysa.com. Retrieved 2019-06-04.
- Bitter, Shawn (2019-07-20). "UFC San Antonio Results: Ray Borg Out-Grapples Debutant Gabriel Silva for Decision Win". Cageside Press. Retrieved 2019-07-21.
- Sherdog.com. "Ray". Sherdog. Retrieved 2018-11-08.