Butt grew up in London as an only child with his mother and father. He left school at 16 and served national service in the Royal Air Force.
He produced Only Fools and Horses until Series 5, directing most episodes himself, when he moved onto new projects. He is also remembered for his work on Last of the Summer Wine and Are You Being Served?. Butt directed the 1976 two-part episode from Last of the Summer Wine's third series consisting of the episodes, "The Great Boarding House Bathroom Caper" and "Cheering up Gordon." Butt would also serve as primary producer for Are You Being Served? between 1975 and 1977. He frequently collaborated with writer John Sullivan, directing for four different series written by Sullivan.
- The Liver Birds (1969–1979)
- Are You Being Served? (1975–1977)
- Last of the Summer Wine (1976)
- Citizen Smith (1977–1979)
- Only Fools and Horses (1981–1987)
- Just Good Friends (1983–1984)
- Dear John (1986)
- Young, Gifted and Broke (1989)
- Roy Clarke (writer) & Ray Butt (director) (1976-11-10). "The Great Boarding-House Bathroom Caper". Last of the Summer Wine. Season 3. Episode 3. BBC One.
- Roy Clarke (writer) & Ray Butt (director) (1976-11-17). "Cheering Up Gordon". Last of the Summer Wine. Season 3. Episode 4. BBC One.
- "Are You Being Served?". BBC Guide to Comedy. BBC. Retrieved 2008-05-30.
- Obituary: Ray Butt, telegraph.co.uk, 16 July 2013
- "Only Fools and Horses tribute at Ray Butt's funeral". BBC News. 29 July 2013. Retrieved 18 September 2013.
- "Ray Butt: Television producer best known as the guiding force of 'Only Fools and Horses'". The Independent. 18 July 2013. Retrieved 18 September 2013.
- "The Liver Birds". Carla Lane Official Website. Retrieved 2008-05-30.
|This biographical article related to British television is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|