Ray Chew (born c. 1968) is an American musician who specializes in keyboards and contemporary and orchestral arranging.
Chew was a member of the Saturday Night Live Band from 1980 to 1983. As of the late 2000s, he is the music director for the syndicated television series Showtime at the Apollo, and the bandleader on the The Singing Bee.
It was announced on December 30, 2010 that he will be replacing Rickey Minor as the new music director on American Idol. In February 2014, it was announced that he will also be replacing Harold Wheeler as orchestra leader, starting in the eighteenth season of Dancing with the Stars.
- Lustig, Jay. "New Jersey musician kicks off festival paying tribute to African-American culture", The Star-Ledger, February 26, 2009. Accessed February 26, 2009.
- Beckerman, Jim. "The pro who rules amateur night", The Record (Bergen County), June 28, 2009. Accessed June 28, 2009.
- Halperin, Shirley (December 30, 2010). "'Idol' hires Ray Chew as new music director". Hollywood Reporter (Today Show). Reuters Limited.
- Official website
- Ray Chew on Myspace
- Ray Chew at the Internet Movie Database
- Ray Chew 2013 Audio Interview at Soulinterviews.com