Rainer Walter "Ray" Guillery FRS (28 August 1929 – 7 April 2017)  was a British physiologist and neuroanatomist. He is best known for his discovery that in Siamese cats with certain genotypes of the albino gene, the wiring of the optic chiasm is disrupted, with less of the nerve-crossing than is normal.
Early life and education
Guillery was born in Greifswald, Germany on 28 August 1929. He began his education as a medical student at University College London (UCL) in 1948. He obtained his BSc in 1951 and his PhD in 1954.
Guillery taught at UCL for 11 years. In 1964 he went to University of Wisconsin–Madison, where he helped to start the new graduate programme in neuroscience. In 1977, he moved to the University of Chicago to lead another new graduate neuroscience programme. In 1984, Guillery returned to the UK as head of the department of Human Anatomy and Dr. Lee's Professor of Human Anatomy at the University of Oxford, until 1996. He was then subsequently professor emeritus of anatomy at the University of Wisconsin Medical School and, as of 2010[update], Honorary Emeritus Research Fellow at the Anatomical Neuropharmacology Unit at Oxford.
He died on 7 April 2017 at the age of 87.
- Squire (ed), Larry R. (1996). The history of neuroscience in autobiography. Washington DC: Society for Neuroscience. p. 7. ISBN 0126603022.CS1 maint: extra text: authors list (link)
- "News- A warm welcome to Ray". MRC. Retrieved 7 June 2014.
- Guillery, RW; Kaas, JH (June 1973). "Genetic abnormality of the visual pathways in a "white" tiger". Science. 180 (4092): 1287–9. Bibcode:1973Sci...180.1287G. doi:10.1126/science.180.4092.1287. PMID 4707916.
- "Prof. Rainer W. Guillery from Oxford University visited the School of Biomedical Sciences (end Feb to early March 2011)". School of Biomedical Sciences, Chinese University of Hong Kong. 2011-02-25. Retrieved 2014-03-27.
- "Guillery Rainer". Academia Europaea. Retrieved 2014-03-27.
- Guillery, R. W. (1989). "Editorial". European Journal of Neuroscience. 1 (1): 1. doi:10.1111/j.1460-9568.1989.tb00768.x. PMID 12106168.
- RAINER W. GUILLERY
- Sherman, S. Murray (2018-03-28). "Rainer Walter Guillery. 28 August 1929—7 April 2017". Biographical Memoirs of Fellows of the Royal Society. 64: 183–206. doi:10.1098/rsbm.2017.0044. ISSN 0080-4606.
- New Scientist, 14 September 1978