Ray Kelly (singer)
Father Kelly singing at a charity event in Vienna on 2017
|Birth name||Raymond Kelly|
|Born||25 April 1953|
Tyrrellspass, County Westmeath, Ireland
Raymond Kelly, S.P.S. (born 25 April 1953) is an Irish Catholic priest best known for his interpretation of popular songs. He is the priest of St. Brigid′s & St. Mary′s parish at Oldcastle, County Meath, Ireland, and a member of Saint Patrick’s Society for the Foreign Missions.
Early life and priesthood
Kelly became famous in 2014 after a video of him singing Leonard Cohen's song "Hallelujah" while officiating at a couple's wedding became a YouTube sensation. The words were modified to suit the occasion by 10-year-old bridesmaid Lucy Pitts O'Connor. By 2020, it had received more than 75 million hits.
In December 2014 Universal Music released a 10-track album Where I Belong of Kelly singing Celtic-inspired arrangements. The album was recorded during summer 2014 in a studio created for the purpose in Kelly's house, so that the recording schedule would not interfere with his duties as a priest. In December 2015 Kelly was a guest on the BBC Radio 4 programme Midweek.
In 2018 Kelly auditioned for the 12th series of Britain's Got Talent, singing "Everybody Hurts" by R.E.M. he made it to the live shows but in semifinal 5 he was eliminated. After the voting stats came out it was revealed that Kelly missed out on a place in the top 3 after he came 4th in the public voting.
- Where I Belong (2014)
- An Irish Christmas Blessing (2015)
- invitationlovejesus (7 April 2014). "Original Big surprise for Bride and Groom...Chris and Leah Wedding 5 April 2014". Retrieved 29 May 2018 – via YouTube.
- The Huffington Post
- "BBC Radio 4 - Midweek". Bbc.co.uk. 9 December 2015. Retrieved 9 December 2015.
- "BGT priest has already had a record deal and TWO albums". Retrieved 29 May 2018.
- Britain's Got Talent (21 April 2018). "Father Ray Kelly takes us to church with AMAZING version of 'Everybody Hurts' - Auditions - BGT 2018". Retrieved 29 May 2018 – via YouTube.
- O'Loughlin, Mikie (8 March 2020). "Fr Ray Kelly eliminated from Dancing with the Stars after weeks at the bottom of table". RSVP. Retrieved 8 March 2020.