|Born||November 10, 1972|
|Alma mater||University of South Carolina|
|Notable works||Punch., Red Dirt Jesus, Driving through the country before you are born|
Ray McManus is an American poet with three award-winning poetry collections. He is an associate professor of English at the University of South Carolina Sumter.
He earned his M.F.A. in Poetry in 2000, and his Ph.D. in Rhetoric and Composition in 2006, at University of South Carolina where he studied under Kwame Dawes and Ed Madden. As a student, he won the 1997 Academy of American Poets Award at the University of South Carolina. In 2008, he joined the faculty at the University of South Carolina Sumter and is an associate professor of English.
McManus's first book, Driving through the country before you are born won the 2006 SC First Book Prize in Poetry, was the winner of the South Carolina Poetry Prize, selected by Kate Daniels, and published with University of South Carolina Press. His second book, Red Dirt Jesus was selected for the Marick Press Poetry Prize in 2011. In 2014, his third collection, Punch. was named best book of poetry in North America published by an independent press in the 2015 Independent Publishers Book Award.
McManus has published poems in Natural Bridge, Cold Mountain Review, Crazyhorse, Nimrod, Ellipsis, Borderlands, The Recorder, Los Angeles Review, Jabberwock, Asheville Poetry Review, Yemassee, Waccamaw, Arkansas Review, The Pinch, Pea River Journal, Barely South Review, moonShine Review, Steel Toe Review, Hayden's Ferry Review, Blue Collar Review, Animal, Town Creek Poetry, Frank Martin Review, Jasper, and Apron Review. His work has been anthologies in Traffic Life, A Millennial Sampler of SC Poets, The Southern Poetry Anthology, Remaking Moby, Seeking Jonathan Green, A Sense of the Midlands, and Hard Lines: Rough South Poetry.
Ray McManus reading at the Southern Festival for the Book, Nashville, 2013
McManus, Ray (2015). Found Anew: Poetry and Prose Inspired by the South Caroliniana Library Digital Collections. Columbia: University of South Carolina Press. ISBN 978-1611175653.
McManus, Ray (2014). Punch. Spartanburg: Hub City Press. ISBN 978-1938235078.
McManus, Ray (2011). Red Dirt Jesus. Michigan: Marick Press. ISBN 978-1934851326.
McManus, Ray (2007). Driving through the country before you are born. South Carolina: University of South Carolina Press. ISBN 978-1570037023.
- Richardson, Rachel. , "Spartanburg Herald", Spartanburg, 5 October 2014. Retrieved 2015.
- Hardvigson, Kristine (May 2011). "Ray McManus runs with verses". Undefined (11): 44–47. Retrieved 5 May 2015.
- Whitfill, Patrick. "Working for the Man All Over Again: A Review of Ray McManus's Punch".
- "Driving through the country before you are born". Univerty of South Carolina Press. University of South Carolina Press. Retrieved 5 May 2015.
- Moore, Ivey. "USC Sumter professor wins prestigious poetry award". The Item, Sumter SC. University of South Carolina. Retrieved 5 May 2015.
- "2015 Independent Publisher Book Awards Results". Independent Publisher. Retrieved 5 May 2015.
- Southern Literary Review
- Steel Toe Review
- Town Creek Poetry
- Ray McManus Homepage
- Creative Writing at Tri-District Arts Consortium
- Animal: A Beast of a Literary Journal
- Joe Milford Poetry Show 1 of 2
- Joe Milford Poetry Show 2 of 2
|This biographical article about an American poet born in the 1970s is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|