|Birth name||Raymond Jackson Pentland|
|Born||14 July 1957|
||Royal Air Force (1990–2014)
Royal Auxiliary Air Force (2014–present)
|Years of service||1990–present|
Raymond Jackson Pentland, CB, QHC (born 14 July 1957) is a British Church of England priest. He is a retired military chaplain, having served as Chaplain-in-Chief of the Royal Air Force and head of its Chaplains Branch from 2009 to 2014.
Pentland attended the William Booth Memorial Training College from 1977. Upon graduation in 1979, he became an Officer of The Salvation Army. He served in number of inner city locations throughout the United Kingdom from 1979 to 1986.
In 1986, he left The Salvation Army to enter St John's College, Nottingham and train for ordination into the Church of England. He was ordained a deacon in 1988, in Southwell Minster, Nottinghamshire. He then became Assistant Curate of St. Jude's Church, Mapperley, Nottingham. He was ordained a priest in 1989.
In 1990, Pentland attended the Specialist Entrant and Re-entrant Course at RAF Cranwell. On 26 August 1990, he was commissioned into the Chaplains Branch of the Royal Air Force as a chaplain with the relative rank of flight lieutenant. He was given the service number 5207651M. On 26 August 1991, he was promoted to the relative rank of squadron leader. He transferred from a short service commission to a permanent commission on 1 November 1993. As part of the half-yearly promotions, he was promoted to the relative rank of wing commander on 1 January 2003.
Pentland was member of the House of Clergy in the General Synod of the Church of England from 2005 to 2014. On 27 March 2006, he was appointed Principal Anglican Chaplain and Archdeacon for the Royal Air Force. On 1 April 2009, he was selected to succeed Peter Mills as Chaplain-in-Chief of the Royal Air Force: he took up the appointment on 1 October in addition to his role as Archdeacon, becoming the 21st Chaplain in Chief.
Having retired from full-time ministry when he retired from the Royal Air Force in 2014, Pentland has held permission to officiate in the Dioceses of Oxford and of London. He continues his link with the military, having transferred his commission from the RAF to the Royal Auxiliary Air Force (RAuxAF) on 24 November 2014 in the rank of air commodore. He has also served as an honorary assistant curate at St Andrew-by-the-Wardrobe and St James Garlickhythe since 2015.
Honours and decorations
On 27 March 2006, Pentland was appointed Honorary Chaplain to the Queen (QHC). In 2006, he was made an Honorary Canon of Lincoln Cathedral. In the 2013 New Year Honours, he was appointed Companion of the Order of the Bath (CB).
- "PENTLAND, Ven. Raymond Jackson". Who's Who 2013. A & C Black. November 2012. Retrieved 14 September 2013.
- "The Venerable (Air Vice-Marshal) Ray J Pentland CB QHC BA DPS MTh RAF". Royal Air Force. Retrieved 14 September 2013.
- "No. 52295". The London Gazette (Supplement). 8 October 1990. p. 15789.
- "No. 52672". The London Gazette (Supplement). 30 September 1991. p. 14861.
- "No. 53580". The London Gazette (Supplement). 7 February 1994. p. 1921.
- "No. 56811". The London Gazette (Supplement). 7 January 2003. pp. 129–132.
- "Pentland, Ven. Raymond Jackson". Who's Who 2018. Oxford University Press. 1 December 2017. doi:10.1093/ww/9780199540884.013.70908.
- "Chaplain-in-Chief". Royal Air Force. Retrieved 8 January 2018.
- Crockford's Clerical Directory (online ed.). Church House Publishing. Retrieved 8 January 2018..
- "No. 61160". The London Gazette (Supplement). 3 March 2015. p. 3803.
- "No. 57939". The London Gazette (Supplement). 28 March 2006. p. 4355.
- "No. 60367". The London Gazette (Supplement). 29 December 2012. p. 2.
|Church of England titles|
|Archdeacon for the Royal Air Force
2006 – 2014
|Chaplain-in-Chief of the Royal Air Force
2009 – 2014