May 27, 1966|
Pembroke, Ontario, Canada
|Height||6 ft 1 in (185 cm)|
|Weight||195 lb (88 kg; 13 st 13 lb)|
New York Rangers
Detroit Red Wings
San Jose Sharks
60th overall, 1984|
Raymond Garfield Sheppard (born May 27, 1966) is a Canadian retired professional ice hockey right winger who played in the National Hockey League (NHL) from 1987 to 2000. Sheppard was born in Pembroke, Ontario, but grew up in Petawawa, Ontario.
Sheppard was selected 60th overall by the Buffalo Sabres in the 1984 NHL Entry Draft. He played 817 career NHL games, scoring 357 goals and 300 assists for 657 points. His best season statistically was the 1993–94 season when he scored 52 goals and 93 points for the Detroit Red Wings. He also played for the New York Rangers, San Jose Sharks, Florida Panthers, and the Carolina Hurricanes.
Sheppard has been named the second-best golfer amongst athletes (of sports other than golf) by Golf Digest. He currently serves on the Board of Directors for the Panthers Alumni Association.
|1990–91||New York Rangers||NHL||59||24||23||47||21||—||—||—||—||—|
|1991–92||Detroit Red Wings||NHL||74||36||26||62||27||11||6||2||8||4|
|1992–93||Detroit Red Wings||NHL||70||32||34||66||29||7||2||3||5||0|
|1993–94||Detroit Red Wings||NHL||82||52||41||93||26||7||2||1||3||4|
|1994–95||Detroit Red Wings||NHL||43||30||10||40||17||17||4||3||7||5|
|1995–96||Detroit Red Wings||NHL||5||2||2||4||2||—||—||—||—||—|
|1995–96||San Jose Sharks||NHL||51||27||19||46||10||—||—||—||—||—|
Awards and honours
|First All-Star Team||1986|
|Red Tilson Trophy||1986|
|Eddie Powers Memorial Trophy||1986|
|Jim Mahon Memorial Trophy||1986|
|Calder Cup (Rochester Americans)||1987|
- Drafted by the Buffalo Sabres in the 1984 NHL Entry Draft in the third round as the 60th overall pick.
- Acquired by the New York Rangers for $1 USD from the Buffalo Sabres in 1990.
- August 5, 1991 - Signed as an unrestricted free agent with the Detroit Red Wings.
- October 24, 1995 - Traded by the Detroit Red Wings to the San Jose Sharks for Igor Larionov and a conditional 1998 draft pick.
- March 16, 1996 - Traded by the San Jose Sharks, along with a fourth round pick in 1996, to the Florida Panthers for 2nd and fourth round picks in 1996.
- March 24, 1998 - Traded at the deadline by the Florida Panthers to the Carolina Hurricanes for Kirk McLean.
- November 15, 1999 - Signed as an unrestricted free agent with the Florida Panthers.
- Announced retirement at the end of 1999–2000 NHL season.
- Golf Digest Ranks the Best Golfers from the World of Sports
- Ray Sheppard at www.hockeydb.com
- Tim Crothers (1994-03-21). "Ray Sheppard". Sports Illustrated. Retrieved 2009-01-23.
Ray Sheppard was once bought for a buck. As in four quarters. A crummy eight bits. In 1990 New York Ranger general manager Neil Smith actually paid that paltry sum for Sheppard. ... But two seasons later, after having scored just four goals in 18 games, he was sent to the minors and then jettisoned by the Sabres in that $1 transaction with the Rangers.