Zahab speaking at TED in 2009.
Photograph by Bill Holsinger-Robinson.
|Born||1968/1969 (age 50–51)|
|Known for||long-distance runner, public speaker|
Raymond Zahab, MSC (born in 1969) is a Canadian long-distance runner and public speaker. He has run in long-distance running adventures in several countries, including the South Pole, Siberia, and the Atacama Desert in Chile. He crossed the Sahara with Charlie Engle, (USA) and Kevin Lin (Taiwan).
Zahab starred in the 2007 documentary film "Running the Sahara" narrated and produced by Matt Damon and directed by Oscar-winner James Moll, which follows three men as they run across the Sahara Desert, a journey of 111 days and more than 4,300 miles of challenging terrain.
Zahab is also the author of the autobiography Running for My Life: On the Extreme Road with Adventure Runner Ray Zahab (ISBN 978-1-897178-44-7), and co-author with Steve Pitt of Running to Extremes: Ray Zahab's Amazing Ultra marathon Journey
- Gobi March Team 2006 — 1st
- Sahara Race 2005 — 1st
- Libyan Challenge 2006 — 1st
- BadWater Ultra — DNF
- Marathon des Sables 2005 — 24th
- Trans333 2004 — 3rd
- Jungle Marathon Solo 2004 — 8th
- Jungle Marathon Team 2004 — 1st
- Marathon des Sables 2004 — 47th
- Yukon Arctic Ultra 2004 — 1st
- Silcoff, Sean (July 30, 2013). "Ray Zahab's incredible 2,300 kilometre journey across the Gobi desert". The Globe and Mail.
Ray Zahab ... 44-year-old athlete from Chelsea, Que.
- "Follow Adventurer Ray Zahab's Arctic Expedition". Lifestyle. Retrieved 18 January 2018.
- Welner, Chris (1 January 2016). "Ray Zahab". IMPACT Magazine. Retrieved 18 January 2018.
- "Running the Sahara: Bios". www.runningthesahara.com. Retrieved 18 January 2018.
- Dewar, Adam (1 March 2013). "Ten of the best running documentaries". the Guardian. Retrieved 18 January 2018.
- "Ray Zahab - ideacity". ideacity. Retrieved 18 January 2018.
- Zahab, Ray (2007). Running for my life : on the extreme road with adventure runner Ray Zahab. Toronto: Insomniac Press. ISBN 978-1-897178-44-7.
- Pitt, Steve; Zahab, Ray (2011). Running to extremes : Ray Zahab's amazing ultramarathon journey. Toronto: Puffin Canada. ISBN 978-0143179672.
- "Meritorious Service Cross Citation".