|This biographical article relies too much on references to primary sources. (April 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Dr. Raymond Culpepper|
Dr. Raymond Culpepper is a pastor, author, Administrative Bishop of Alabama and former General Overseer of the Church of God. The General Overseer is the highest office in the Church of God denomination and has primary responsibility for leading a membership of over 9 million members spanning 180 countries. Dr. Culpepper is currently serving as Administrative Bishop of Alabama, formally served as General Overseer from 2008-2012 having been originally elected at the Church of God General Assembly in 2008. He had previously served two terms as First Assistant General Overseer, and has been on the Executive “Council of 18” on three occasions. Previously, he has been the Church of God State Youth and Education Director for Northern California, Nevada, Indiana, and Alabama. In 1980, Raymond was the founding pastor of Riverchase Church of God in Birmingham, Alabama (later renamed Metropolitan Church of God), which grew under his leadership into one of the most well known churches in the denomination. Raymond has published many articles and several books, including: The Leading Man, Lifestyle To His Glory, Power Living, The Great Commission Connection, and No Church Left Behind.
Dr. Culpepper holds a Bachelor of Science and honorary Doctorate of Divinity degree from Lee University. He also served for 12 years as Chairman of the Lee University Board of Directors. In 1999, Raymond was selected as Lee University’s Distinguished Alumnus of the Year. As a student at Lee, he was one of the early members of Upsilon Xi, and was honored in 1988 as Upsilon Xi’s Alumnus of the Year. Raymond also holds a masters from the California Graduate School of Theology.
Raymond is the son of J. Frank and Kohatha Culpepper. J. Frank was a former Assistant General Overseer of the Church of God. Raymond has been married to the former Peggy Price since 1970, and has three children: Raymond II, Elizabeth and Jessica.
- AssemblyNow.org: (PDF) https://web.archive.org/web/20110904132616/http://www.assemblynow.org/pdf/2010Appts.pdf. Archived from the original (PDF) on September 4, 2011. Retrieved April 2, 2011. Missing or empty
- A Brief History of the Church of God: http://churchofgod.org/a-brief-history-of-the-church-of-god
- Church of God Website: http://churchofgod.org/index.php?page=general-overseer&phpMyAdmin=EyPnWE74if52AvqTJ13%2COH6xVv1
- Lee University Website: http://www.leeuniversity.edu/alumni/info/distinguished-alumni/1990s.aspx
- Upsilon Xi Book of History – Page 54: http://www.upsilonxi.com/UXAA/Book_of_History/2010_UXAA_Book_of_History_1_21_2010.pdf