Raymond L. Garthoff
|Raymond L. Garthoff|
|United States Ambassador to Bulgaria|
July 29, 1977 – October 9, 1979
|Preceded by||Martin F. Herz|
|Succeeded by||Jack Richard Perry|
|Born||1929 (age 87–88)|
|Profession||Diplomat, Career Ambassador|
Raymond Leonard "Ray" Garthoff (born 1929) is a senior fellow at the Brookings Institution, a specialist on arms control, intelligence, the Cold War, NATO, and the former Soviet Union. He is a former U.S. Ambassador to Bulgaria, and has advised the U.S. State Department on treaties.
In 1948, he received his B.A. from Princeton University. In 1949, he received his M.A. from Yale. From 1950 to 1957, he was a Soviet analyst for RAND Corporation. In 1951, he received his PhD from Yale. From 1957 to 1961, he was a CIA Office of National Estimates (ONE) analyst. In the early 1960s, he was a special assistant in the State Department. In the 1970s, he was a senior Foreign Service inspector. From 1980 to 1994, he was a senior fellow at the Brookings Institution. He is the author of numerous scholarly papers, books, and has been featured in PBS documentaries.
- "Putin's Policies Promise Measured Change". Los Angeles Times. Brookings Institution. 2 April 2000. Archived from the original on 17 February 2012.
- Reflections on the Cuban Missile Crisis: Revised To Include New Revelations from Soviet & Cuban Sources (Revised) by Raymond Garthoff (Paperback - Jun 2, 1989
- The Great Transition: American-Soviet Relations and the End of the Cold War. Raymond L. Garthoff The Brookings Institution, 1994, 834 pp.
- Détente and Confrontation: American-Soviet Relations from Nixon to Reagan by Raymond L. Garthoff (Paperback - Oct 1994)
- Deterrence and the Revolution in Soviet Military Doctrine by Raymond L. Garthoff (Paperback - Oct 1990)
- Soviet Military Policy; A Historical Analysis by Raymond L. Garthoff (Hardcover - 1966)
- Soviet Strategy in the Nuclear Age *Praeger Pubs. in Russian History and World Communism, No. 71** by Raymond L. Garthoff (Hardcover - 1958)
- Policy Versus the Law: The Reinterpretation of the Abm Treaty by Raymond L. Garthoff (Paperback - Oct 1987)
- Sino-Soviet Military Relations by Raymond L. Garthoff (Unknown Binding - 1966)
- A Journey Through the Cold War: A Memoir of Containment and Coexistence by Raymond L. Garthoff (Hardcover - Jun 30, 2001)
- Assessing the Adversary: Estimates by the Eisenhower Administration of Soviet Intentions and Capabilities (Brookings Occasional Papers) by Raymond L. Garthoff (Paperback - Sep 1991)
- Soviet Image of Future War by Raymond Garthoff (Hardcover - Jun 1959)
- Intelligence Assessment and Policymaking: A Decision Point in the Kennedy Administration by Raymond L. Garthoff (Paperback - Jul 1984)
- Science and Technology in Contemporary War **Praeger Pubs. in Russian History and World Communism, No.74** by MG G.I. (Raymond L. Garthoff, Translator/Annotator) Pokrovsky (Hardcover - 1959)
- The tragedy of Hungary: A revolution won and lost (P-984) by Raymond L Garthoff (Unknown Binding - 1956)
- The Soviet High Command and General Staff (P-684) by Raymond L Garthoff (Unknown Binding - 1955
- Détente and Confrontation American-Soviet Relations from Nixon to Reagan by Garthoff Raymond L. (Hardcover - 1985)
- The new Soviet leadership Santa Monica, Calif. RAND Corp. by Raymond L Garthoff (Unknown Binding - 1953)
- GWU NSA Archive INTERVIEW WITH RAYMOND GARTHOFF-29.8.1996 accessed Dec 15, 2007
- "Garthoff Bio". Brookings Institution. Archived from the original on 5 August 2011.
- thinktank bio PBS bio Accessed Dec 15, 2007
- Misinterpreting the Cold War: The Hardliners Were Right, Richard Pipes, Foreign Affairs, January/February 1995. Pipes' attempt to rebut Garthoff's book. Accessed Aug. 19, 2017
Martin F. Herz
|United States Ambassador to Bulgaria
Jack Richard Perry