February 8, 1973 |
Mexico City, Mexico
|Professional wrestling career|
|Billed height||1.73 m (5 ft 8 in)|
|Billed weight||85 kg (187 lb)|
|Trained by||Aaron Alvarado (Brazo Cibernetico)
Raziel (born February 8, 1973) is the ring name of a Mexican Luchador Enmascarado, or masked professional wrestler, who is working for the Mexican wrestling promotion Consejo Mundial de Lucha Libre (CMLL). Raziel's real name is not a matter of public record, as is often the case with masked wrestlers in Mexico where their private lives are kept a secret from the wrestling fans. He previously worked as Caligula for many years, forming the team Los Romanos along with Messala (who is now known as Cancerbero). The name "Raziel" is taken from the Archangel Raziel in Jewish mysticism and is sometimes also written as "Raciel".
Professional wrestling career
The wrestler who is currently known as Raziel trained under Skayde and José Aarón Alvarado Nieves, better known as Brazo Cibernetico and was considered one of their top pupils at the time. Upon his debut in 1996 he adopted the ring persona "Neo", teaming up with a fellow Skayde/Alvarado graduate who wrestled as "Geo", both enmascarados (masked wrestlers) who wrestled a high-flying style. Early in their careers the duo worked for Asistencia Asesoría y Administración (AAA), and were part of a group called Los Cadetos del Espacio ("The Space Cadets") for a brief period of time. After their stint in AAA they worked for the short lived Promo Azteca promotion as well as International Wrestling Revolution Group before changing their ring characters.
In 2005 he began working for Consejo Mundial de Lucha Libre (CMLL) and was teamed up with another recent CMLL signee. CMLL gave Neo a new identity as Caligula, named after the Roman Emperor Caligula, the ring persona was that of a Roman soldier complete with a mask designed to look like a Roman soldier's helmet. His teammate was named Messala and given a similar Roman inspired gimmick and collectively they became known as Los Romanos ("The Romans"). The team worked as low ranked Rudos (bad guys) who mainly worked with young wrestlers to give them in-ring experience and to assess their talent. On June 15, 2008, Los Romanos participated in a tournament for the vacant CMLL Arena Coliseo Tag Team Championship but the experienced team lost to the makeshift team of Ángel Azteca, Jr. and Máscara Purpura in the first round. Los Romanos remained firmly placed in the opening or low card position throughout 2008 and into 2009.
Los Cancerberos del Infierno
On November 18, 2009, CMLL presented a new Rudo group, Los Cancerberos del Infierno ("The Infernal Cerberus") a team led by veteran mid-carder Virus and consisted of rookies Pólvora and Euforia as well as two new characters never used before: Raziel and Cancerberos. It was later revealed that Raziel and Cancerbero were not two new wrestlers, but the repackaged Los Romanos with Caligula changing his name to Raziel and Messala being turned into Cancerbero. In late 2009 Los Cancerberos participated in a tournament to crown new Mexican National Trios Champion, Virus, Pólvora, and Euforia represented the group and defeated Los Ángeles Celestiales (Ángel Azteca, Jr., Ángel de Plata and Ángel de Oro) in the first round. Following the tournament loss Los Ángeles Celestiales and Los Cancerberos del Infierno have developed a rivalry between the two groups, facing off on various CMLL shows, including their Friday night CMLL Super Viernes show. On the January 15, 2010, Super Viernes Raziel defeated Ángel de Plata in a Lighting match, continuing the building storyline between the two factions. In May, 2015 Raziel competed in a qualifying match for the 2015 version of En Busca de un Ídolo alongside 15 other wrestlers Raziel competed in a torneo cibernetico, elimination match where the last eight wrestlers would qualify for the tournament. He compete against Akuma, Blue Panther Jr., Cancerbero, Canelo Casas, Delta, Disturbio, Esfinge, Flyer, El Gallo, Guerrero Maya Jr., Joker, Pegasso, Sagrado, Stigma and Boby Zavala. Raziel was the second wrestler eliminated as he was pinned by Guerrero Maya Jr. On December 25, 2015 as part of CMLL's annual Infierno en el Ring show Raziel was one of twelve men risking their mask in the main event steel cage match. He was the tenth man to leave the cage, keeping his mask safe in the process.  In January 2017, Raziel made his Japanese debut by taking part in Fantastica Mania 2017, the annual tour co-produced by CMLL and New Japan Pro Wrestling (NJPW).
- "Rudos - Caligula". Fuego en el Ring (in Spanish). Retrieved October 21, 2009.
- Madigan, Dan (2007). "Okay... what is Lucha Libre?". Mondo Lucha A Go-Go: the bizarre & honorable world of wild Mexican wrestling. HarperColins Publisher. pp. 29–40. ISBN 978-0-06-085583-3.
- "Enciclopedia de las Mascaras". Geo (in Spanish). Mexico City, Mexico. September 2007. p. 27. Tomo II.
- "Enciclopedia de las Mascaras". Caligula (in Spanish). Mexico City, Mexico. August 2007. p. 45. Tomo I.
- Arturo Rosas Plata (June 23, 2008). "Ya están los Finalistas". Ovaciones (in Spanish). Mexico, D.F.: Editorial Ovaciones, S. A. de C.V. p. 22. Número 21264 Año LXI. Retrieved July 24, 2009.
- Marquina, Alva (November 19, 2009). "CMLL Los Hijos del Averno y No Limit formaron los contractos para Sin Salida. Se presenta Los Cancerveros". SuperLuchas (in Spanish). Retrieved March 11, 2010.
- "El Novato del Año: Angel de Oro". SuperLuchas (in Spanish). January 11, 2010. issue 346. Retrieved March 10, 2010.
- Boutwell, Josh (January 29, 2010). "Viva La Raza! Lucha Weekly". WrestleView. Retrieved February 26, 2010.
- Islas, Alejandro (January 18, 2010). "Guerrero, obligado a exponer el título". SuperLuchas (in Spanish). pp. 19–21. issue 347. Retrieved February 24, 2009.
- "Arena Mexico Martes 26 de Mayo '15" (in Spanish). CMLL.
- "Lucha Libre función martes 26 de mayo". Yahoo Deportes. Yahoo!. May 27, 2015. Retrieved May 27, 2015.
- Valdés, Apolo (May 27, 2015). "Listos los participantes de En Busca de un Ídolo". MedioTiempo (in Spanish). MSN. Retrieved May 27, 2015.
- "Lucha Libre función viernes 25 de diciembre". Yahoo Deportes (in Spanish). Yahoo!. December 26, 2015. Retrieved January 1, 2016.
- 【『Fantastica Mania』メンバー決定！】マキシモが待望の再来日！ アトランティス、ミスティコ、ボラドールにドラゴン・リー！ ゲレーロ、カベルナリオも参戦！. New Japan Pro Wrestling (in Japanese). November 11, 2016. Retrieved January 21, 2017.