|Opened||August 3, 2010|
|Platforms||Web, iOS, Android, BlackBerry, Windows Phone, Mac OS X, Windows|
|Catalogue||35,000,000+ songs |
|CEO: Anthony Bay, Co-founder: Carter Adamson, Founders: Niklas Zennström, Janus Friis|
Rdio is an online music service that offers ad-supported free streaming and ad-free subscription streaming services in 85 countries. It is available as a website and also has applications for iPhone, iPod Touch, iPad, Android, BlackBerry, and Windows Phone mobile devices, which can stream music from its servers or download music for offline playback. There are also clients for the Roku and Sonos systems. The web-based service also offers a native desktop client application for Mac OS and Windows, as well as a Windows Store application. Its library has content from the four major record labels, as well as the Merlin Network and the aggregators The Orchard, INgrooves, CD Baby, BFM Digital, Finetunes, and Catapult. Rdio also offers social networking features, such as the ability to share songs, albums and playlists with others on Rdio and to social networks such as Facebook and Twitter.
Rdio was launched by Skype founders Niklas Zennström and Janus Friis on August 3, 2010. At the time they had to compete with services such as Deezer, Spotify, Napster, MOG and Rhapsody. On September 27, 2013, Rdio added music recommendations feature that will deliver personalized albums, stations, and playlists. On January 16, 2014 Rdio introduced some free streaming options, supported by audio advertisements.
On April 2, 2013 Rdio launched Vdio, a movie and television show streaming service. Vdio was set up similarly to Rdio, but it adopted a pay-per-view style. The service focused on newly released titles from major Hollywood studios like Disney, Fox, Warner Bros. and Universal Studios.
Current Rdio subscribers were given US$25 in credit to spend on Vdio.
Vdio was shut down on December 27, 2013.
Rdio is currently available in 85 countries: Anguilla, Antigua and Barbuda, Argentina, Aruba, Australia, Austria, Barbados, Belgium, Bermuda, Bolivia, Brazil, British Virgin Islands, Canada, Cayman Islands, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Dominica, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, Estonia, Fiji, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Grenada, Guatemala, Guyana, Haiti, Honduras, Hong Kong, Hungary, Iceland, India, Indonesia, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Jamaica, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malaysia, Mexico, Monaco, Nauru, Netherlands, New Zealand, Nicaragua, Norway, Panama, Papua New Guinea, Paraguay, Peru, Philippines, Poland, Portugal, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Samoa, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, South Africa, Spain, Suriname, Sweden, Switzerland, Thailand, Tonga, Trinidad and Tobago, Turks and Caicos Islands, United Kingdom, United States, Uruguay, Vanuatu, Venezuela. The functionality it offers differs from country to country.
In 2013, Entertainment Weekly compared a number of music services and judged Rdio the best, grading it "A" and writing that it had "by far the best app and online interface, making database searching and playlist curation easy."
Jaguar Land Rover - In January 2015, Rdio announced a partnership with Jaguar Land Rover, a luxury brand car manufacturer. The application went live on Jaguar LandRover's InControlApps Platform on July 3, 2015.
Cumulus Media - On September 16, 2013, Cumulus Media announced a deal with Rdio that gave the second largest owner and operator of AM and FM radio stations in the United States an online outlet. This partnership gave Rdio broad access to its programming and promoted Rdio on Cumulus stations.
Launched in 2011, Rdio’s API allows developers to add music to a web or mobile application with the ability to search, access and play all of the artists, songs, albums, playlists, and charts in Rdio’s catalog.
- "Rdio - About Us". RDIO. Retrieved May 20, 2015.
- "Rdio Site Overview". Alexa Internet. Retrieved May 20, 2015.
- "Music subscription service Rdio launches". USA Today. August 3, 2010. Retrieved August 6, 2010.
- "Rdio - Availability". Rdio. Retrieved April 20, 2015.
- "Rdio music service throws open its doors". MacWorld. August 3, 2010. Retrieved August 9, 2010.
- "Social Music Service Rdio Officially Launches". Digital Media Wire, Inc. August 3, 2010.
- "Rdio Launches Personalized Music Streaming Recommendation Feature On Web". CEOWORLD Magazine. September 27, 2013. Retrieved September 27, 2013.
- "Rdio introduces unlimited free streaming alongside subscriptions". Ars Technica. Retrieved April 16, 2014.
- Roettgers, Janko. "Four years in the making, Vdio finally opens up to Rdio subscribers in the US and UK". Gigaom. Retrieved April 3, 2013.
- "Rdio offers launches Vdio for TV, movies". 3 News NZ. April 4, 2013.
- "End of Vdio Beta FAQ".
- "Rdio Expands To 60 Countries". Rdio. May 19, 2014. Retrieved May 20, 2014.
- "Rdio brings its music streaming service to India". Rdio. Retrieved Jan 15, 2015.
- "Rdio free". Rdio. Retrieved April 16, 2014.
- Anderson, Kyle (January 18, 2013). "What's the Best Music Service?". Entertainment Weekly (New York: Time Inc.): 14.
- Dante Cesa (November 1, 2011). "New For 2015: Jaguar and Land Rover Integration and Partnerships with DTS, LG Electronics and Hisense". Rdio. Retrieved April 23, 2014.
- Darrell Etherington (March 31, 2014). "Rdio Adds Chromecast Support For TV Music Streaming". TechCrunch. Retrieved April 23, 2014.
- Brittany Hillen (February 6, 2014). "Tesla taps Rdio for integrated audio service in Europe". Slashgear. Retrieved April 23, 2014.
- Ben Sisario (September 15, 2013). "Online Music Service Rdio in Deal With Cumulus". The New York Times. Retrieved April 23, 2014.
- Dante Cesa (November 1, 2011). "Rdio gets rechristened 'Oi Rdio' while vacationing in Brazil, has plans to visit Germany and Australia". Engadget. Retrieved April 23, 2014.
- "HEOS™ by Denon & Rdio Partner to Expand Reach Around the World and in the Home". usa.denon.com. Retrieved 2015-10-09.
- "Music Streaming Apps and Devices for Multi Room Streaming Audio - HEOS By Denon". usa.denon.com. Retrieved 2015-10-09.
- Pankaj Mishra (March 13, 2014). "Rdio Acquires India’s Troubled Music Streaming Startup Dhingana To Push For Global Expansion". TechCrunch. Retrieved May 20, 2014.
- Leena Rao (March 11, 2011). "Social Music Startup Rdio Pushes Play Button For API, Affiliate Program". TechCrunch. Retrieved April 23, 2014.