|Opened||August 3, 2010|
|Key People||Anthony Bay (CEO)
Carter Adamson (Co-founder)
Niklas Zennström, Janus Friis (Founders)
|Platforms||Web, iOS, Android, BlackBerry, Windows Phone, OS X, Windows, Roku|
|Catalogue||35,000,000+ songs (May 2015)|
Rdio was an online music streaming service that offered ad-supported free streaming and ad-free subscription streaming services in 85 countries. It was available as a website and via app for Android, BlackBerry, iOS, and Windows Phone mobile devices, which could stream music from Rdio's servers or download music for offline playback; there were also clients for the Roku and Sonos systems. The web-based service also offered a native desktop client application for OS X and Windows, as well as a Windows Store application.
Rdio's library had content from the four major record labels, as well as the Merlin Network and the aggregators BFM Digital, Catapult, CD Baby, Finetunes, INgrooves, and The Orchard. Rdio also offered social networking features, such as the ability to share songs, albums, and playlists with others on Rdio and social networks such as Facebook and Twitter.
On November 16, 2015, Rdio filed for chapter 11 bankruptcy in which they had to pay $200 million and announced the sale of certain intellectual property to Pandora Radio. The purchase price is $75 million in cash.
Rdio was launched by Skype founders Niklas Zennström and Janus Friis on August 3, 2010. At the time they had to compete with services such as Deezer, MOG, Napster, Rhapsody, and Spotify. On September 27, 2013, Rdio added a music recommendations feature that delivered personalized albums, stations, and playlists. On January 16, 2014 Rdio introduced some free streaming options, supported by audio advertisements.
On November 16, 2015, Rdio filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy, and reached a deal to sell certain assets and intellectual property to a competitor, Pandora, for $75 million, pending approval by the bankruptcy court. As part of this transition, the Rdio service was discontinued effective December 22, 2015, and some employees were transferred to Pandora, which will introduce an "expanded" experience incorporating this IP in late-2016.
On April 2, 2013 Rdio launched Vdio, a movie and television show streaming service. Vdio was set up similarly to Rdio but adopted a pay-per-view model. The service focused on newly released titles from major Hollywood studios like Disney, Fox, Universal Studios, and Warner Bros.
Current Rdio subscribers were given US$25 in credit to spend on Vdio.
Vdio was shut down on December 27, 2013.
In 2013, Entertainment Weekly compared a number of music services and judged Rdio the best, grading it "A" and writing that it had "by far the best app and online interface, making database searching and playlist curation easy".
Cumulus Media - On September 16, 2013, Cumulus Media announced a deal with Rdio that gave the second largest owner and operator of AM and FM radio stations in the United States an online outlet. This partnership gave Rdio broad access to its programming and promoted Rdio on Cumulus stations.
Jaguar Land Rover - In January 2015, Rdio announced a partnership with Jaguar Land Rover, a luxury brand car manufacturer. The application went live on Jaguar LandRover's InControlApps Platform on July 3, 2015.
HEOS™ by Denon - In July 2015, HEOS™ by Denon announced its new partnership with Rdio, representing a significant addition to the growing roster of music streaming services available through HEOS.
Launched in 2011, Rdio’s API allowed developers to add music to a web or mobile application with the ability to search, access, and play all of the artists, songs, albums, playlists, and charts in Rdio’s catalog.
- Apple Music
- Blinkbox Music
- Google Play Music
- Groove Music
- Pandora Radio
- PlayStation Music
- Slacker Radio
- Soundtracker (music streaming)
- Tidal (service)
- "Music subscription service Rdio launches". USA Today. August 3, 2010. Retrieved August 6, 2010.
- "Rdio - About Us". RDIO. Retrieved May 20, 2015.
- "Rdio - Availability". Rdio. Retrieved April 20, 2015.
- "Rdio music service throws open its doors". MacWorld. August 3, 2010. Retrieved August 9, 2010.
- "Social Music Service Rdio Officially Launches". Digital Media Wire. August 3, 2010.
- "Rdio Is Being Acquired By Pandora". Gizmodo. Retrieved 2015-11-17.
- "Pandora to Acquire Key Assets from Rdio". Pandora Corporate Communications. 16 November 2015. Retrieved 19 November 2015.
- "Rdio Expands To 60 Countries". Rdio. May 19, 2014. Retrieved May 20, 2014.
- "Rdio brings its music streaming service to India". Rdio. Retrieved Jan 15, 2015.
- "Rdio Launches Personalized Music Streaming Recommendation Feature On Web". CEOWORLD Magazine. September 27, 2013. Retrieved September 27, 2013.
- "Rdio introduces unlimited free streaming alongside subscriptions". Ars Technica. Retrieved April 16, 2014.
- "Rdio will shut down for good in one week". Engadget. AOL Inc. Retrieved 16 December 2015.
- "Pandora To Buy Rdio Assets For $75M In Cash, Rdio Files Ch.11 And Shuts Down Service". TechCrunch. AOL, Inc. Retrieved 16 November 2015.
- Roettgers, Janko (November 16, 2015). "Pandora Is Acquiring Music Streaming Service Rdio For $75 Million". Variety. Retrieved November 16, 2015.
- Roettgers, Janko. "Four years in the making, Vdio finally opens up to Rdio subscribers in the US and UK". Gigaom. Retrieved April 3, 2013.
- "Rdio offers launches Vdio for TV, movies". 3 News NZ. April 4, 2013.
- "End of Vdio Beta FAQ".
- Anderson, Kyle (January 18, 2013). "What's the Best Music Service?". Entertainment Weekly. New York: Time Inc.: 14.
- Dante Cesa (November 1, 2011). "Rdio gets rechristened 'Oi Rdio' while vacationing in Brazil, has plans to visit Germany and Australia". Engadget. Retrieved April 23, 2014.
- Ben Sisario (September 15, 2013). "Online Music Service Rdio in Deal With Cumulus". The New York Times. Retrieved April 23, 2014.
- Brittany Hillen (February 6, 2014). "Tesla taps Rdio for integrated audio service in Europe". Slashgear. Retrieved April 23, 2014.
- Darrell Etherington (March 31, 2014). "Rdio Adds Chromecast Support For TV Music Streaming". TechCrunch. Retrieved April 23, 2014.
- Dante Cesa (November 1, 2011). "New For 2015: Jaguar and Land Rover Integration and Partnerships with DTS, LG Electronics and Hisense". Rdio. Retrieved April 23, 2014.
- "HEOS™ by Denon & Rdio Partner to Expand Reach Around the World and in the Home". usa.denon.com. Retrieved 2015-10-09.
- "Music Streaming Apps and Devices for Multi Room Streaming Audio - HEOS By Denon". usa.denon.com. Retrieved 2015-10-09.
- Pankaj Mishra (March 13, 2014). "Rdio Acquires India's Troubled Music Streaming Startup Dhingana To Push For Global Expansion". TechCrunch. Retrieved May 20, 2014.
- Janko Roettgers (November 16, 2015). "Pandora Is Acquiring Music Streaming Service Rdio For $75 Million". Variety (magazine). Retrieved November 16, 2015.
- Leena Rao (March 11, 2011). "Social Music Startup Rdio Pushes Play Button For API, Affiliate Program". TechCrunch. Retrieved April 23, 2014.