Re-Rewind (The Crowd Say Bo Selecta)
|"Re-Rewind (The Crowd Say Bo Selecta)"|
|Single by Artful Dodger featuring Craig David|
|from the album It's All About the Stragglers|
|Released||29 November 1999|
|Artful Dodger singles chronology|
|Craig David singles chronology|
"Re-Rewind (The Crowd Say Bo Selecta)" is a song by English garage group Artful Dodger, featuring Craig David on vocals. Released in the UK in 1999, the song reached number two, giving David his first taste of chart success. In his dean's list for the annual Pazz & Jop critics' poll, Robert Christgau of The Village Voice named "Re-Rewind" the fifth-best single of the year. The song was the first of seven consecutive UK Top 20 hit singles for Artful Dodger.
The melody in the verses was lifted from an older Craig David demo called "Last Night", which was re-recorded for his debut studio album, Born to Do It. A slightly different version of the song, simply titled "Rewind", was featured on Born to Do It and was credited solely to Craig David and contained no vocals but David's.
In February 2016, David revealed that, after the recording session, the song was nearly lost forever: "We finished the song and dubbed it onto a little TDK D90 cassette to go and play it in the car," he says. "It sounded good but there was a couple of little tweaks we wanted to do – and literally as [producer Mark Hill] turned the computer on, all we saw was this 'error, file number' message. The only way to get rid of it was to press OK. So we pressed OK, and it kept coming up with new error numbers. So we'd press OK, press OK, press OK. But when we looked at the session, all that we saw was the hi-hats. I was like, 'are you actually for real?' So that plastic TDK tape became gold dust. We had the whole song on there, and we had to use the recording as our reference, playing it very carefully so it didn't get chewed up, and trying to remember all the things we did. And that was 'Re-Rewind'."
In popular culture
|Belgium (Ultratop 50 Flanders)||21|
|Belgium (Ultratip Wallonia)||17|
|Germany (Official German Charts)||49|
|Netherlands (Dutch Top 40)||4|
|New Zealand (Recorded Music NZ)||18|
|Scotland (Official Charts Company)||15|
|Switzerland (Schweizer Hitparade)||88|
|UK Singles (Official Charts Company)||2|
- Christgau, Robert (12 February 2002). "Pazz & Jop 2001: Dean's List". The Village Voice. New York. Retrieved 22 July 2013.
- "Interview With Shabs Jobanputra". HitQuarters. 13 November 2005. Retrieved 22 June 2010.
- Savage, Mark (4 February 2016). "Born to redo it: Craig David on his 'crazy' career revival". BBC News. BBC Online. Retrieved 4 February 2016.
- Moodie, Clemmie (15 July 2015). "Craig David: I gave Bo' Selecta! star Leigh Francis a big hug and everything's cool". Daily Mirror. Trinity Mirror. Retrieved 4 February 2016.
- Ryan, Gavin (2011). Australia's Music Charts 1988–2010. Mt. Martha, VIC, Australia: Moonlight Publishing.
- "Ultratop.be – Artful Dodger – Re-Rewind (The Crowd Say Boo Selecta)" (in Dutch). Ultratop 50.
- "Ultratop.be – Artful Dodger – Re-Rewind (The Crowd Say Boo Selecta)" (in French). Ultratip.
- "Musicline.de – Artful Dodger Single-Chartverfolgung" (in German). Media Control Charts. PhonoNet GmbH.
- "The Irish Charts - All there is to know". Retrieved 11 March 2018.
- "Italiancharts.com – Artful Dodger – Re-Rewind (The Crowd Say Boo Selecta)". Top Digital Download.
- "Nederlandse Top 40 – Artful Dodger" (in Dutch). Dutch Top 40.
- "Charts.nz – Artful Dodger – Re-Rewind (The Crowd Say Boo Selecta)". Top 40 Singles.
- "Official Scottish Singles Sales Chart Top 100". Official Charts Company.
- "Swedishcharts.com – Artful Dodger – Re-Rewind (The Crowd Say Boo Selecta)". Singles Top 100.
- "Swisscharts.com – Artful Dodger – Re-Rewind (The Crowd Say Boo Selecta)". Swiss Singles Chart.
- "Official Singles Chart Top 100". Official Charts Company.