Reach for Me
Reach for Me is a 2008 American comedy-drama film that portrays how we deal with life, love, laughter, and commitment in our last days with the realization that: It's not the minutes that count, but how we spend the moments. Among the many awards it has won, 'Reach for Me' garnered the prestigious AARP 'Movie's for Grownups' Breakthrough Accomplishment award.
Reach for Me was the first digital film shot and edited, end to end, in 4K, filmed in Los Angeles, produced by AMediaVision Productions with producers Charlene Blaine- Schulenburg, Susan R. Rodgers and Mark Wolf, written by Michael Bruce Adams and directed by LeVar Burton. It stars Oscar Nominee Seymour Cassel, Johnny Whitworth, Golden Globe Nominee Adrienne Barbeau, Lacey Chabert and Oscar Nominee Alfre Woodard.
Reach for Me explores the age-old quandary of how we greet our final days - and who will be there with us at the end. Alvin, portrayed by Oscar Nominee Seymour Cassel, makes life hell for everyone else around him as a widower confined to his hospice bed. Old and bitter, Alvin is content to waste away the last of his disappointing life at Valley Meadow Hospice. He simply wants to be left alone but his wish is not granted when terminally ill Kevin (Johnny Whitworth) becomes his roommate.
Young and full of “life”, Kevin refuses to squander the precious moments he has left. Deeply in love, Kevin and his girlfriend Sarah (Lacey Chabert) are devoted to making their days fun and meaningful.
Encouraged to stand up for his life by his nurse Evelyn (Alfre Woodard) and stirred by the young couples zest for life, Alvin takes a chance and pursues Valerie (Adrienne Barbeau). With Valerie, Alvin confronts his fear, loneliness and regret and learns to love – maybe for the first time.
Reach for Me attempts to tackle end of life issues, by mixing comedy and drama. It's ensemble cast includes many award winners including Oscar Nominee Alfre Woodard and Golden Globe Nominee Adrienne Barbeau.
- Seymour Cassel as Alvin
- Johnny Whitworth as Kevin
- Lacey Chabert as Sarah
- Adrienne Barbeau as Valerie
- Charlene Blaine-Schulenburg as Nell
- Larry Hankin as Elliot
- LeVar Burton as Nathanial
- Alfre Woodard as Evelyn
Awards and festivals
AARP Magazine ‘Movies for Grownups’ Edition 2010 (Largest Publication in the U.S.)
- Breakthrough Accomplishment Award! (Award Show Los Angeles, California)
AARP’s ‘Movies for Grownups’ Film Festival (Las Vegas, Nevada)
- Special Feature
Lake Arrowhead Film Festival
- Best Feature
- Best of the Festival
San Diego Film Festival
- Audience Choice Award – Best Feature
- Seymour Cassel receives Indie Icon Award
Mill Valley Film Festival
- Official Selection
- Seymour Cassel is guest speaker of their prestigious ‘Insight’ Program
Downtown Film Festival – Los Angeles
- Centerpiece Gala Selection
- Seymour Cassel receives The Hollywood Reporter Lifetime Achievement Award
Tallgrass Film Festival (Wichita, Kansas)
- Centerpiece Gala Selection
- Seymour Cassel receives Ad Astra Award
Off Plus Camera Film Festival (Kraków, Poland)
- Press Favorite
- Seymour Cassel receives Special Tribute
Oldenburg International Film Festival (Germany)
- World Premiere Gala Selection
- Seymour Cassel given star on their walk of fame
- Newcott, Bill (2010-01-25). "Movies for Grownups Awards 2010 Breakthrough Accomplishment: LeVar Bur...". AARP. Retrieved 2012-08-04.
- Alfre Woodard - Awards
- Adrienne Barbeau - Awards
- Official website
- Reach for Me at the Internet Movie Database
- Harvey, Dennis (9 October 2009). "Reach For Me film review". Variety.
- Wood, Sura (20 October 2009). "Reach for Me Film Review". The Hollywood Reporter.