Read Island is located between Quadra Island and Cortes Island, southeast of Maurelle Island and southwest of the Rendezvous Islands. Read Island is separated from Quadra Island by Hoskyn Channel, from Maurelle Island by Whiterock Channel, and from Cortes Island by Sutil Channel. Evans Bay forms a large inlet on the east side of Read Island. Read Island has a population of approximately 80 residents and is located within Electoral Area C of the Strathcona Regional District. The locality of Read Island, British Columbia, which is a census-designated place, is located on the east side of the island, near its south end, at 
Read Island was named around 1864 by Daniel Pender, captain of the Beaver, for Captain William Viner Read, who was a naval assistant at the United Kingdom Hydrographic Office at the time. Viner Point, the southern point of the island, was named in association.
- "Read Island (locality)". BC Geographical Names.
- "Reid Island". BC Geographical Names.
- Geography from Base Map Online Store Archived 2008-05-09 at the Wayback Machine, TRIM 1:20,000 Digital Base Maps, British Columbia Integrated Land Management Bureau, Base Mapping and Geomatic Services; and Hale, Robert (2007). Waggoner Cruising Guide 2007. Weatherly Press. ISBN 978-0-935727-26-5.
- Middleton, Lynn (1969). Place Names of the Pacific Northwest Coast. Victoria: Elldee Publishing. p. 174. OCLC 16729415.
- Read Island Provincial Park, BC Parks
|This article about a location on the Coast of British Columbia, Canada is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|