|Township of East Garafraxa|
Location of East Garafraxa within Dufferin County
|Incorporated||January 1, 1850 (Garafraxa Twp.)|
|Incorporated||January 1, 1869 (East Garafraxa)|
|• Mayor||Guy Gardhouse|
|• Federal riding||Dufferin—Caledon|
|• Prov. riding||Dufferin—Caledon|
|• Land||166.04 km2 (64.11 sq mi)|
|• Density||15.6/km2 (40/sq mi)|
|Time zone||EST (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|Area code(s)||519 and 226|
The township includes the population centres of Marsville and Orton.
While it is unknown how the name "Garafraxa" came to be, there are a number of theories to its origins:
- It is derived from an Indian word meaning "panther country"
- Commemorating an old Irish estate or castle
- From the Scottish stream, the River Garry
- From Gaelic fraoch garbh meaning "rough heath"
- From local botany Saxifrage or Sassafras
- Old English word gara or gar means either a small triangular piece of land or cloth as in a sail, and the Township could be considered part fracta of the Gore, or Gara
East Garafraxa is known for, among other things, its scenic spots, and many people go there to escape from the city.
- Population in 2011: 2595 (2006–2011 population change: 8.6%)
- Population in 2006: 2389 (2001–2006 population change: 7.9%)
- Population in 2001: 2214
- Population in 1996: 2084
- Population in 1991: 2002
Private dwellings occupied by usual residents: 841 (total dwellings: 893)
According to the 2011 Canadian Census, the population of East Garafraxa is 2,595, an 8.6% increase from 2006. The population density is 15.6 people per square km. The median age is 42.9 years old, a bit higher than the national median at 40.6 years old. There are 893 private dwellings with an occupancy rate of 94.2%. According to the 2011 National Household Survey, the median value of a dwelling in East Garafraxa is $500,226, a lot higher than the national average at $280,552. The median household income (after-taxes) in East Garafraxa is $95,069, much higher than the national average at $54,089.
East Garafraxa is mostly made up of European descents. The racial make up of East Garafraxa is:
- "East Garafraxa, Ontario (Code 3522001) census profile". 2011 Census of Population. Statistics Canada. Retrieved 2012-08-14.
- Statistics Canada: 1996, 2001, 2006 census
- NHS Profile of East Garafraxa: http://www12.statcan.gc.ca/nhs-enm/2011/dp-pd/prof/details/page.cfm?Lang=E&Geo1=CSD&Code1=3522001&Data=Count&SearchText=East%20Garafraxa&SearchType=Begins&SearchPR=01&A1=Visible%20minority&B1=All&Custom=&TABID=1