Reading East (UK Parliament constituency)
for the House of Commons
Boundary of Reading East in Berkshire.
Location of Berkshire within England.
|Electorate||78,170 (December 2010)|
|Member of parliament||Rob Wilson (Conservative)|
|Number of members||One|
|Created from||Reading North and Reading South|
|European Parliament constituency||South East England|
The constituency comprises the central, northern and eastern parts of the Borough of Reading (specifically the wards of Abbey, Caversham, Church, Katesgrove, Mapledurham, Park, Peppard, Redlands and Thames), together with (from Wokingham Borough) the borough wards of South Lake, Loddon, and Bulmershe and Whitegates: the three wards form the southern part of the parish of Woodley and include also the Whitegates Ward of Earley parish.
- History of boundaries
Before 2010 Maidenhead contained (part of) the Loddon Ward.
The Reading East parliamentary constituency was first contested in 1983, when it was won by a partial incumbent, Gerry Vaughan, a Conservative who was before that election sitting MP for abolished Reading South. He held the seat through two subsequent general elections until he retired before the 1997 election.
The constituency was in 1997 won by a member of the Labour Party, Jane Griffiths, a backbencher under the Blair Ministry. She retained the seat in the 2001 election but was deselected by her Constituency Labour Party before the 2005 election, when the seat was regained by a Conservative, Rob Wilson.
Members of Parliament
Elections in the 2010s
|General Election 2015: Reading East|
|Liberal Democrat||Jenny Woods||3,719||7.4||-19.9|
|General Election 2010: Reading East|
|Liberal Democrat||Gareth Epps||13,664||27.3||+3.1|
Elections in the 2000s
|General Election 2005: Reading East|
|Liberal Democrat||Prof John Howson||10,619||24.2||+5.7|
|Conservative gain from Labour||Swing||+7.0|
|General Election 2001: Reading East|
|Liberal Democrat||Thomas Dobrashian||8,078||18.5||0.0|
|Socialist Alliance||Darren Williams||394||0.9||N/A|
|Source House of Commons Library|
Elections in the 1990s
|General Election 1997: Reading East|
|Conservative||John Arthur Watts||17,666||35.2||-18.6|
|Liberal Democrat||Sam Samuel||9,307||18.5||+0.9|
|Referendum Party||D Harmer||1,042||2.1||N/A|
|Natural Law||J Buckley||254||0.5||N/A|
|UKIP||A L Thornton||252||0.5||N/A|
|Labour gain from Conservative||Swing||+17.2|
|Source Guardian Unlimited|
|General Election 1992: Reading East|
|Liberal Democrat||Denis Thair||9,528||17.6||−5.6|
|Source Guardian Unlimited|
Elections in the 1980s
|General Election 1987: Reading East|
|SDP–Liberal Alliance (Social Democratic)||Susan Mary Baring||12,298||23.2||−4.2|
|Green||Philip John Unsworth||667||1.3||+0.2|
|CSOSMG||Arthur Brian Shone||125||0.2||N/A|
|General Election 1983: Reading East|
|SDP–Liberal Alliance (Social Democratic)||Chris Huhne||13,008||27.4||N/A|
|Common Market Party||B. Shone||113||0.2||N/A|
|Conservative win (new seat)|
Notes and references
- "Electorate Figures – Boundary Commission for England". 2011 Electorate Figures. Boundary Commission for England. 4 March 2011. Retrieved 13 March 2011.
- 2010 post-revision map non-metropolitan areas and unitary authorities of England
- "Election Maps". Ordnance Survey. Retrieved 7 May 2010.
- Leigh Rayment's Historical List of MPs – Constituencies beginning with "R" (part 1)[self-published source][better source needed]
- "Notice of Persons Nominated" (PDF). Reading Borough Council.
- "Parliamentary results 2015". Reading Borough Council.
- total electorate 73232 email from Reading Council 18 June 2015
- "Election 2010 – Reading East". BBC. 2010. Retrieved 7 May 2010.
- "Election 2005 – Reading East". BBC. 2005. Retrieved 6 May 2005.
- "Research Paper 01/54 – General Election Results – 7 June 2001" (PDF). House of Commons Library. 2001. Retrieved 2 May 2005.
- "Ask Aristotle – Reading East". London: Guardian Unlimited. 2005. Retrieved 4 May 2005.[dead link]
- "Politics Resources". Election 1992. Politics Resources. 9 April 1992. Retrieved 6 December 2010.
- "UK General Election results June 1987". 2010. Retrieved 5 December 2010.
- "UK General Election results June 1983". 2010. Retrieved 5 December 2010.