Reading East (UK Parliament constituency)
for the House of Commons
Boundary of Reading East in Berkshire.
Location of Berkshire within England.
|Electorate||78,170 (December 2010)|
|Member of parliament||Rob Wilson (Conservative)|
|Number of members||One|
|Created from||Reading North, Reading South and Henley|
|European Parliament constituency||South East England|
1983-1997: The Borough of Reading wards of Abbey, Caversham, Church, Park, Peppard, Redlands, Thames, and Whitley, and the District of Wokingham wards of Arborfield, Barkham, Finchampstead, Shinfield, and Swallowfield.
1997-2010: The Borough of Reading wards of Abbey, Caversham, Church, Katesgrove, Park, Peppard, Redlands, and Thames, and the District of Wokingham wards of Bulmershe, Loddon, South Lake, and Whitegates.
2010-present: The Borough of Reading wards of Abbey, Caversham, Church, Katesgrove, Mapledurham, Park, Peppard, Redlands, and Thames, and the District of Wokingham wards of Bulmershe and Whitegates, Loddon, and South Lake.
The Reading East parliamentary constituency was first contested in 1983, when it was won by a partial incumbent, Gerry Vaughan, a Conservative who was before that election sitting MP for abolished Reading South. He held the seat through two subsequent general elections until he retired before the 1997 election.
The constituency was in 1997 won by a member of the Labour Party, Jane Griffiths, a backbencher under the Blair Ministry. She retained the seat in the 2001 election but was deselected by her Constituency Labour Party before the 2005 election, when the seat was regained by a Conservative, Rob Wilson.
Members of Parliament
|1997||Jane Patricia Griffiths||Labour|
Elections in the 2010s
|Liberal Democrat||Jenny Woods|
|Movement for Active Democracy||Andy Kirkwood|
|Liberal Democrat||Jenny Woods||3,719||7.4||−19.9|
|Liberal Democrat||Gareth Epps||13,664||27.3||+3.1|
Elections in the 2000s
|Liberal Democrat||John Howson||10,619||24.2||+5.7|
|Conservative gain from Labour||Swing||+7.0|
|Liberal Democrat||Thomas Dobrashian||8,078||18.5||0.0|
|Socialist Alliance||Darren Williams||394||0.9||N/A|
|Source House of Commons Library|
Elections in the 1990s
|Liberal Democrat||Sam Samuel||9,307||18.5||+0.9|
|Natural Law||John Buckley||254||0.5||N/A|
|UKIP||A L Thornton||252||0.5||N/A|
|Labour gain from Conservative||Swing||+17.2|
|Source Guardian Unlimited|
|Liberal Democrat||Denis Thair||9,528||17.6||−5.6|
|Source Guardian Unlimited|
Elections in the 1980s
|SDP–Liberal Alliance (Social Democratic)||Susan Baring||12,298||23.2||−4.2|
|SDP–Liberal Alliance (Social Democratic)||Chris Huhne||13,008||27.4||N/A|
|Common Market Party||B. Shone||113||0.2||N/A|
|Conservative win (new seat)|
Notes and references
- "Electorate Figures – Boundary Commission for England". 2011 Electorate Figures. Boundary Commission for England. 4 March 2011. Retrieved 13 March 2011.
- "'Reading East', June 1983 up to May 1997". ElectionWeb Project. Cognitive Computing Limited. Retrieved 13 March 2016.
- "Election Maps". Ordnance Survey. Retrieved 7 May 2010.
- Leigh Rayment's Historical List of MPs – Constituencies beginning with "R" (part 1)[self-published source][better source needed]
- Reading Borough Council - statement of persons nominated 2017
- "Notice of Persons Nominated" (PDF). Reading Borough Council.
- "Parliamentary results 2015". Reading Borough Council.
- "Election Data 2010". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 26 July 2013. Retrieved 17 October 2015.
- "Election 2010 – Reading East". BBC. 2010. Retrieved 7 May 2010.
- "Election Data 2005". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "Election 2005 – Reading East". BBC. 2005. Retrieved 6 May 2005.
- "Election Data 2001". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "Research Paper 01/54 – General Election Results – 7 June 2001" (PDF). House of Commons Library. 2001. Retrieved 2 May 2005.
- "Election Data 1997". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "Ask Aristotle – Reading East". London: Guardian Unlimited. 2005. Archived from the original on 13 September 2004. Retrieved 4 May 2005.
- "Election Data 1992". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "Politics Resources". Election 1992. Politics Resources. 9 April 1992. Retrieved 6 December 2010.
- "Election Data 1987". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "UK General Election results June 1987". 2010. Retrieved 5 December 2010.
- "Election Data 1983". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "UK General Election results June 1983". 2010. Retrieved 5 December 2010.