|Country of origin||United Kingdom|
|Headquarters location||Islington, London|
Grantham Book Services (UK)|
Chicago Distribution Center (The Americas)
Reaktion Books is an independent book publisher based in Islington, London, England. It was founded in 1985 in Edinburgh, Scotland, and moved to London in 1987. Reaktion originally focused on the fields of art, architecture and design but in recent years it has broadened to include many areas and also publishes series of books.
Reaktion originally focused on the fields of art, architecture and design – its first book was Ian Hamilton Finlay: A Visual Primer by Yves Abrioux. In recent years Reaktion's list has broadened substantially, and now also encompasses animal studies, Asian art and culture, biography, cultural studies, current events, fashion, film, food history, geography, general history, music, philosophy, photography, politics and sports history. Reaktion now produces around 70 new titles each year, and has about 500 titles in print.
Among the monographs released by Reaktion are studies of the Ottoman architect Sinan and the artists Delaroche, Holbein, Tintoretto, Bellini, Malcolm Morley, Leon Golub and Casper David Friedrich, of which the latter won the 1992 Mitchell Prize for the History of Art.
Reaktion also publishes many series of books, including Animal, short natural and cultural histories of individual animals; Edible, global histories of a particular food, drink or ingredient; Critical Lives, concise critical biographies of important cultural figures; and Earth, studies of the historical and cultural significance of natural phenomena.
Recent books of note from Reaktion include Twenty Minutes in Manhattan by Michael Sorkin, Travels in the History of Architecture by Robert Harbison, Boxing: A Cultural History by Kasia Boddy, and Owl by Desmond Morris.
Notes and references
-  Archived April 21, 2008, at the Wayback Machine.
- Prudence Carlson (1925-10-28). "Little Sparta Ian Hamilton Finlay". Ianhamiltonfinlay.com. Retrieved 2013-08-27.
- Banks, Eric (October 18, 2009). "Animals Reconsidered". The Chronicle of Higher Education. Retrieved May 7, 2016.
- "Book Review: Bonnie Benwick on the Edible Series". Washingtonpost.com. 2009-11-18. Retrieved 2013-08-27.
- Lesley McDowell (2009-08-02). "Simone de Beauvoir, By Ursula Tidd - Reviews - Books". London: The Independent. Retrieved 2013-08-27.
- Stephens, Michael (15 June 2009). "Arts & Humanities. Reviews, and Views". Library Journal. Archived from the original on 27 June 2009. Retrieved 27 August 2013.
- Non-Fiction Reviews (2008-06-06). "Conflict in the boxing ring". London: Telegraph. Retrieved 2013-08-27.