Real (2013 film)
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Kiyoshi Kurosawa|
|Written by||Kiyoshi Kurosawa|
|Based on||A Perfect Day for Plesiosaur|
by Rokuro Inui
|Music by||Kei Haneoka|
|Edited by||Takashi Saito|
Real (リアル〜完全なる首長竜の日〜 Riaru: Kanzen Naru Kubinagaryū no Hi) is a 2013 Japanese science fiction drama film directed by Kiyoshi Kurosawa, starring Takeru Satoh and Haruka Ayase. It is Kurosawa's first feature film since Tokyo Sonata (2008). It is based on Rokuro Inui's novel A Perfect Day for Plesiosaur. It was released in Japan on 1 June 2013.
After having a writer's block, a manga artist Atsumi (Haruka Ayase) has attempted suicide and has been in a coma. Koichi (Takeru Satoh), who is Atsumi's lover, tries to awaken her. With the help from the doctors Aihara (Miki Nakatani) and Yonemura (Keisuke Horibe), Koichi enters the mind of Atsumi by using the experimental technology called "sensing".
- Takeru Satoh as Koichi Fujita
- Haruka Ayase as Atsumi Kazu
- Miki Nakatani as Eiko Aihara
- Joe Odagiri as Sawano
- Shota Sometani as Shingo Takagi
- Keisuke Horibe as Yonemura
- Yutaka Matsushige as Haruhiko
- Kyōko Koizumi as Makiko
Eric Kohn of IndieWire gave the film a B− grade, saying: "While the two main leads share enough chemistry to inject their drama with purpose, it's hardly enough to justify the two hour-plus journey." Maggie Lee of Variety had a mixed reaction, describing the films as "Kiyoshi Kurosawa at his least disturbing or mesmerizing," and said: "Although the aesthetics retain the Nipponese horror maestro's trademark haunting quality, the yarn's U-turn from psycho-horror to hokey childlike fable is unexpected and disappointing". Boyd Van Hoeij of The Hollywood Reporter praised the production design by Takeshi Shimizu.
- "Real". Locarno Festival. Retrieved 12 October 2019.
- "Riaru: Kanzen naru kubinagaryu no hi". Box Office Mojo. Retrieved 12 October 2019.
- Schilling, Mark (18 July 2012). "Sato, Ayase to star in Kurosawa pic". Variety. Retrieved 12 October 2019.
- "Predicting The 2013 Cannes Film Festival Lineup: Who Will Join 'The Great Gatsby' On The Croisette?". IndieWire. 14 March 2013. Archived from the original on 5 June 2013. Retrieved 12 October 2019.
- Blair, Gavin J. (21 March 2013). "Hong Kong Filmart: Director Kiyoshi Kurosawa on His Prolific Past in Softcore Porn (Q&A)". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 12 October 2019.
- Brown, Todd (7 February 2013). "Kurosawa's A PERFECT DAY FOR PLESIOSAUR Retitled REAL, Set For June Release". Twitch Film. Archived from the original on 4 November 2013. Retrieved 12 October 2019.
- "綾瀬はるか、来年"大河"出演の中谷美紀にアドバイス「ちょいちょい寝て」". Oricon News. 1 June 2013. Retrieved 12 October 2019.
- "Toronto film festival 2013: the full line-up". The Guardian. 23 July 2013. Retrieved 24 July 2013.
- Thompson, Anne (23 August 2013). "New York Film Festival Main Slate of 35 Features Adds Kiyoshi Kurosawa's 'Real' UPDATED". IndieWire. Archived from the original on 3 December 2013. Retrieved 12 October 2019.
- "Riaru: Kanzen naru kubinagaryû no hi (Real)". Rotten Tomatoes. Fandango. Retrieved 12 October 2019.
- Kohn, Eric (16 August 2013). "Locarno Film Festival Review: Kiyoshi Kurosawa's 'Real' Wanders Through a Comatose Mind". IndieWire. Retrieved 12 October 2019.
- Lee, Maggie (9 August 2013). "Locarno Film Review: 'Real'". Variety. Retrieved 12 October 2019.
- Hoeij, Boyd Van (20 August 2013). "Real (Riaru: Kanzen naru kubinagaryu no hi): Locarno Review". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 12 October 2019.