The Real Housewives of New Jersey
|The Real Housewives of
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||8|
|No. of episodes||148 (list of episodes)|
|Running time||41–43 minutes|
|Production company(s)||Sirens Media|
|Original release||May 12, 2009– present|
|Preceded by||The Real Housewives of Atlanta|
|Followed by||The Real Housewives of D.C.|
The Real Housewives of New Jersey (abbreviated RHONJ) is an American reality television series that premiered on May 12, 2009 on Bravo. Developed as the fourth installment of The Real Housewives franchise, following The Real Housewives of Orange County, New York City, and Atlanta, it has aired eight seasons and focuses on the personal and professional lives of several women residing in New Jersey.
The series originally focused on Teresa Giudice, Jacqueline Laurita, Caroline Manzo, Dina Manzo, and Danielle Staub. The cast currently consists of Giudice, Melissa Gorga, Dolores Catania, and Margaret Josephs. Of the original housewives, Dina Manzo left during production of the second season before returning for the sixth and departing again afterward; Staub left after the second season before returning in a recurring capacity in the eighth; Caroline Manzo left after the fifth; and Laurita was reduced to a recurring capacity during the sixth, then returned to being a full time cast member in the seventh and departing again afterward. The remaining housewives joined in later seasons: Gorga in the third, Catania in the seventh and Josephs in the eighth. Other housewives include Kathy Wakile (season 3–5), Teresa Aprea (season 6), Amber Marchese (season 6), Nicole Napolitano (season 6), and Siggy Flicker (season 7-8).
Overview and casting
The Real Housewives of New Jersey was announced when Bravo released its 2008–09 programming on April 15, 2008. The first season premiered on May 12, 2009, and starred Caroline Manzo, Jacqueline Laurita, Teresa Giudice, Dina Manzo and Danielle Staub. For the first time in the franchise, the series followed housewives who are related to one another: sisters Caroline and Dina are married to brothers Albert and Tommy Manzo, and Jacqueline Laurita is married to Caroline and Dina's brother, Chris Laurita. Dina and Tommy Manzo would later end up separated. The second season premiered on May 3, 2010, with Dina Manzo departing the series after the seventh episode. Staub left the show after the second season.
The third season premiered on May 16, 2011, with new housewives Melissa Gorga and Kathy Wakile. It delivered the highest rated season premiere in the network's history and the highest rated season premiere in The Real Housewives franchise at the time. The fourth season premiered on April 22, 2012. While the fifth season premiered on June 2, 2013. Kim DePaola joined the fifth season as a "friend of the Housewives". Caroline Manzo and Laurita left the show after the fifth season.
The sixth season premiered on July 13, 2014. It featured the return of Dina Manzo and new housewives Amber Marchese, Teresa Aprea and Nicole Napolitano. Wakile and Laurita were demoted to a recurring role. Marchese and Dina Manzo left the show after the sixth season.
Laurita returned as a full time housewife in the seventh season which premiered on July 10, 2016. The season also featured Dolores Catania and Siggy Flicker as new cast members. While Wakile and Rosie Pierri appeared in a recurring capacity. DePaola, Aprea and Napolitano also appeared as guests. After the seventh season, Laurita and Wakile departed the show.
The eighth season premiered on October 4, 2017, with Margaret Josephs joining the show. Staub returned in a "friend of" capacity and DePaola returned in a guest capacity. Flicker left the show during the season's airing.
Timeline of housewives
|Friends of the housewives|
|First aired||Last aired|
|1||10||May 12, 2009||July 9, 2009|
|2||18||May 3, 2010||September 6, 2010|
|3||21||May 16, 2011||October 23, 2011|
|4||24||April 22, 2012||October 21, 2012|
|5||22||June 2, 2013||October 20, 2013|
|6||19||July 13, 2014||November 20, 2014|
|7||18||July 10, 2016||November 13, 2016|
|8||16||October 4, 2017||January 31, 2018|
The series' success has resulted in a development of multiple spin-off series. Caroline Manzo's children Albie and Chris had a web series spin-off alongside their roommate and friend Greg Bennett, Boys to Manzo which premiered on May 30, 2011. Caroline Manzo, who was part of the original cast of the show, quit the series before its sixth season. Manzo later disclosed that she was involved in the production of a new show, Manzo'd with Children; the show was eventually picked up and premiered on October 5, 2014. The reality series follows the daily life of Manzo and her family: husband Albert, sons Albie and Chris, daughter Lauren, and sister Fran. It aired for three seasons.
The second spin-off, entitled Teresa Checks In, aired in October 2015. The three-episode television series chronicled the life of the Giudice family and how its members dealt with the aftermath of Teresa Giudice's being sentenced to prison. The series featured some of the cast members of The Real Housewives of New Jersey, including Melissa Gorga, Joe Gorga, and Rosie Pierri.
- "Bravo Increases Programming Hours by 45%, Unveils New Slate Including 12 Returning Franchises and Four New Series and Specials". The Futon Critic. April 15, 2008. Retrieved July 8, 2013.
- "A New Real Housewives Of New Jersey Cast Member Revealed!". Radar Online. September 2, 2010. Retrieved July 8, 2013.
- Fowler, Brandi (February 3, 2013). "Former Real Housewives of New Jersey Star Dina Manzo Splits from Husband". E! Online. NBCUniversal. Retrieved July 8, 2013.
- "Dina Manzo Separates From Husband: 34 Other 'Real Housewives' Who Have Divorced". The Huffington Post. February 4, 2013. Retrieved July 8, 2013.
- "Dina Manzo: Why I Left 'Real Housewives'". OK! Magazine. June 17, 2010. Retrieved July 7, 2013.
- Shahid, Aliyah (September 7, 2010). "Danielle Staub to leave 'Real Housewives of New Jersey,' Bravo announces". New York Daily News. Retrieved July 7, 2013.
- "Real Housewives of New Jersey Returns – with New Ladies!". People. April 13, 2011. Retrieved May 12, 2015.
- Seidman, Robert (May 17, 2011). "'Real Housewives of New Jersey' Delivers Highest Rated Season Premiere with 1.9 Million Viewers". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved May 18, 2013.
- "Bravo's "The Real Housewives of New Jersey" Heads to the Shore in Season Four Premiering April 22 at 10PM ET/PT". The Futon Critic. March 22, 2012. Retrieved July 7, 2013.
- Takeda, Allison (April 3, 2013). "See The Real Housewives of New Jersey's Cast Picture From Season Five". Us Weekly. Retrieved May 12, 2015.
- Nsenduluka, Benge (December 27, 2012). "'Real Housewives' New Jersey Housewife Jennifer Dalton Joining Pal Teresa Giudice?". The Christian Post. Retrieved April 21, 2013.
- "Giudice and Gotti". Bravo. Retrieved October 13, 2016.
- "Caroline Manzo Leaving 'Real Housewives of New Jersey'". The Hollywood Reporter. October 14, 2013. Retrieved May 12, 2015.
- Nilles, Billy (October 23, 2013). "'Real Housewives of New Jersey': Dina Manzo demands Jacqueline Laurita's exit". Zap2it. Archived from the original on April 10, 2016. Retrieved October 24, 2013.
- "Dina Manzo Returns! First Look at 'RHONJ' Season Six". The Dish. Bravo. Retrieved May 14, 2014.
May 14, 2014
- Harnick, Chris (February 22, 2014). "The Real Housewives of New Jersey Season 6 Scoop: Fistfights, Major Drama and Sexy Times Ahead!". E! Online. NBCUniversal. Retrieved February 22, 2014.
- Bricker, Tierney; Sobol, Beth (May 14, 2014). "Real Housewives of New Jersey's Kathy Wakile Breaks Silence on No Longer Being a Housewife in Season 6". E! Online. NBCUniversal. Retrieved November 8, 2014.
- Harnick, Chris (September 3, 2014). "Teresa Giudice's Legal Drama Takes Center Stage in RHONJ's Midseason Trailer—Plus, What Brings Jacqueline Back?". E! Online. NBCUniversal. Retrieved November 8, 2014.
- "Amber Marchese Exits The Real Housewives of New Jersey". People.com. November 10, 2015. Retrieved November 10, 2015.
- Falzone, Diana (May 9, 2016). "Dina Manzo will not return to 'Real Housewives of NJ'". FOX News. Retrieved May 24, 2016.
- Petski, Denise (February 8, 2016). "'Real Housewives Of New Jersey' Renewed; Teresa Giudice, Melissa Gorga & Jacqueline Laurita To Return". Deadline.com. Retrieved February 8, 2016.
- Hendricks, Jaclyn (May 24, 2016). "Teresa Giudice slings insults in 'Real Housewives' return". New York Post. Retrieved May 24, 2016.
- Harnick, Chris. "Real Housewives of New Jersey Season 7 Trailer: It's Teresa Giudice vs. Jacqueline Laurita?". E Online. E News. Retrieved August 29, 2016.
- "Next on RHONJ: Drama, Drama, Drama". Bravo. Retrieved August 29, 2016.
- Iaboni, Rande (April 3, 2017). "EXCLUSIVE: Jacqueline Laurita Opens Up About Her Son's Autism and Why She Won't Be Returning to RHONJ". Entertainment Tonight. United States: CBS Interactive. Archived from the original on April 3, 2017. Retrieved April 10, 2017.
- Hyman, Vicki (May 8, 2017). "Hold the drama: Former 'RHONJ' star Kathy Wakile opening Italian restaurant". nj.com. Retrieved May 8, 2017.
- Quinn, Dave (August 22, 2017). "Danielle Staub Returns to RHONJ — and What Furniture Is Teresa Giudice Flipping Now?". People. United States: Time Inc. Retrieved August 22, 2017.
- Corinthios, Aurelie (December 22, 2017). "Siggy Flicker Leaving the Real Housewives of New Jersey After 2 Seasons". People. United States: Time Inc. Archived from the original on December 23, 2017. Retrieved December 22, 2017.
- Kuperinsky, Amy (June 10, 2011). "Real Housewives of New Jersey: Manzo brothers take up residence on Bravo webcast". NJ.com. Retrieved January 16, 2017.
- Starr, Michael (June 1, 2011). "Manzo Boys Get A Spinoff". NY Post. Retrieved January 16, 2017.
- Johnson, Zach (October 15, 2013). "Caroline Manzo Reveals Why She Quit Real Housewives of New Jersey". E! Online. NBCUniversal. Retrieved November 16, 2014.
- Rouse, Wade (October 14, 2013). "Caroline Manzo Is Leaving Real Housewives of New Jersey". People. Time Inc. Retrieved May 18, 2014.
- Bibel, Sara (August 21, 2014). "'Manzo'd With Children' to Premiere Sunday, October 5 on Bravo" (Press release). Zap2it. Retrieved April 8, 2014.
- "Manzo'd with Children Season 1: Cast & Info". Bravo Media. NBCUniversal. Retrieved November 18, 2014.
- French, Megan (February 28, 2017). "'Manzo'd With Children' Ending After Three Seasons: See the Manzo Family's Reactions". US Magazine. Retrieved March 1, 2017.
- Hyman, Vicki (March 1, 2017). "'RHONJ' spinoff 'Manzo'd With Children' kaput after 3 seasons". NJ.com. Retrieved March 1, 2017.
- Beard, Lanford (October 16, 2015). "Teresa Giudice Wanted to Hide News of Her Prison Shakedown from Daughter Gia". People. Time Inc. Retrieved October 19, 2015.
- Upmalis, Jordan (September 14, 2015). "See How the Giudice Family is Coping Since Teresa's Departure". The Daily Dish. Bravo Media. Retrieved October 18, 2015.
- "Bravo Media Presents "The Real Housewives of New Jersey Teresa Checks In" A Three-Part Special Premiering Sunday, October 11 at 8PM ET/PT". The Futon Critic (Press release). Futon Media. September 14, 2015. Retrieved October 18, 2015.
- Hod, Itay (December 29, 2014). "'Real Housewives of New Jersey' Daughter Gia Giudice Shooting Reality Show Pilot". The Wrap. Retrieved January 14, 2017.
- Harrison, Lily; Sobel, Beth (December 29, 2014). "Gia Giudice Is Filming Her Own Reality Show?! Get the Scoop!". E! News. Retrieved January 13, 2017.