Real Life (Magazine album)
|Studio album by|
|Studio||Virgin Mobile and Abbey Road Studios, London|
|Singles from Real Life|
Real Life is the debut studio album by English rock band Magazine. It was released in June 1978 by record label Virgin. The album includes the band's debut single "Shot by Both Sides", and was also preceded by the non-album single "Touch and Go", a song from the album's recording sessions.
Background and recording
The album was written over the preceding year by the band, with Howard Devoto providing all of the lyrics. The two earliest songs, "Shot by Both Sides" and "The Light Pours Out of Me", were co-written with Devoto's former Buzzcocks bandmate Pete Shelley. The majority of the material on the album was written by Devoto in collaboration with guitarist and founding member John McGeoch. "Motorcade" was co-written with the group's keyboardist, Bob Dickinson, who played with the group in mid-1977 before being dismissed. The music for the album's final track, "Parade", was written by Dickinson's replacement, Dave Formula, with bassist Barry Adamson. "Definitive Gaze" was recorded for a Peel Session as "Real Life" on 14 February 1978.
Having toured much of the album through 1977 and early 1978, the group's then lineup of Devoto (vocals), McGeoch (guitar and saxophone), Adamson (bass), Formula (keyboards) and Martin Jackson (drums) recorded the album in sessions using the Virgin Mobile and at Abbey Road Studios between March and April 1978. The album was produced and engineered by John Leckie.
The original artwork and monoprint for the album was designed by Linder, with photography by Adrian Boot.
The album was reissued in remastered form by Virgin/EMI in 2007, along with the other three of the band's first four studio albums, and included four bonus tracks and liner notes by Kieron Tyler.
|Encyclopedia of Popular Music|||
Real Life has been critically acclaimed since its release.
Real Life is included on several "best of" lists.
- It was included in the 2005 book 1001 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die.
- It was included in The Guardian's similar "1,000 Albums to Hear Before You Die" list in 2007.
- Sounds ranked it No. 89 in their "100 Best Albums of All Time" list in 1986.
- In 2006, Uncut ranked it No. 37 in their "100 Greatest Debut Albums" list.
All lyrics are written by Howard Devoto.
|1.||"Definitive Gaze"||Howard Devoto, John McGeoch||4:25|
|2.||"My Tulpa"||Howard Devoto, John McGeoch||4:47|
|3.||"Shot by Both Sides"||Howard Devoto, Pete Shelley||4:01|
|4.||"Recoil"||Howard Devoto, John McGeoch||2:50|
|6.||"Motorcade"||Howard Devoto, Bob Dickinson||5:41|
|7.||"The Great Beautician in the Sky"||Howard Devoto, John McGeoch||4:56|
|8.||"The Light Pours Out of Me"||Howard Devoto, John McGeoch, Pete Shelley||4:36|
|9.||"Parade"||Barry Adamson, Dave Formula||5:08|
|2007 remastered edition bonus tracks|
|10.||"Shot by Both Sides" (Original single version)||Howard Devoto, Pete Shelley||4:01|
|11.||"My Mind Ain't So Open"||Howard Devoto, John McGeoch||2:18|
|12.||"Touch and Go"||Howard Devoto, John McGeoch||2:58|
|13.||"Goldfinger"||John Barry, Leslie Bricusse, Anthony Newley||3:50|
|UK Album Chart||29|
|1978||"Shot by Both Sides"||UK Singles Chart||41|
- Kellman, Andy. "Real Life – Magazine". AllMusic. Retrieved 23 December 2014.
- Monroe, Jazz (12 March 2015). "Radiohead's The Bends At 20: The Story Of An Anti-Capitalist, Anti-Cynicism Classic". NME. Retrieved 1 September 2015.
- "Magazine | Artist | Official Charts". Official Charts. Retrieved 23 December 2014.
- Larkin, Colin (2011). The Encyclopedia of Popular Music (5th concise ed.). Omnibus Press. ISBN 0-85712-595-8.
- Lynskey, Dorian (2 March 2007). "Magazine: Real Life". The Guardian. Retrieved 23 December 2014.
- "Magazine: Real Life". Q: 126.
[S]ynthesizers, saxophones and songs that dared to exceed the five-minute barrier.
- Parrish, Peter (4 May 2007). "Magazine – Real Life / Secondhand Daylight / The Correct Use of Soap / Magic, Murder and the Weather – Review". Stylus Magazine. Archived from the original on 6 May 2007. Retrieved 23 December 2014.
- Mueller, Andrew (15 March 2007). "Magazine – Reissues". Uncut. Retrieved 23 December 2014.
- Savage, Jon (3 June 1978). "Magazine: Real Life". Sounds.
- "Albums and Tracks of the Year". NME. 2016. Retrieved November 25, 2016.
- Robert Dimery; Michael Lydon (23 March 2010). 1001 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die: Revised and Updated Edition. Universe. p. 58. ISBN 978-0-7893-2074-2.
- "Artists Beginning with M (part 1)". The Guardian. 20 November 2007. Retrieved 15 February 2012.
- "Magazine Real Life". Acclaimed Music. Archived from the original on 19 August 2014. Retrieved 15 February 2012.