Real World/Road Rules Challenge: The Gauntlet 2
This article includes a list of references, related reading or external links, but its sources remain unclear because it lacks inline citations. (May 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Real World/Road Rules Challenge: The Gauntlet 2|
|Genre||Reality game show|
|Presented by||T. J. Lavin (debut)|
|Opening theme||"Anthem" by Superchick|
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of episodes||18|
|Production location(s)||Trinidad and Tobago|
|Running time||23 minutes|
|Original release||December 5, 2005 – March 27, 2006|
|Preceded by||The Inferno II|
|Followed by||Fresh Meat|
Real World/Road Rules Challenge: The Gauntlet 2 is the 11th season of the MTV reality game show, The Challenge (at the time known as Real World/Road Rules Challenge). The season is directly subsequent to The Inferno II.
The Gauntlet II marked T. J. Lavin's first time presenting the series, regularly hosting the program from this season forward. Prior seasons only used temporary hosts. The season is the second in the Gauntlet series, with the original Gauntlet airing in 2003–2004 and The Gauntlet III following in 2008.
The Gauntlet II aired in late 2005 and into 2006 with 32 contestants and took place in Trinidad and Tobago. The teams were designated Veterans and Rookies, based on the number of prior Challenge seasons on which each cast member had competed. Those on the Veterans team had been on at least two prior seasons, and those on the Rookies team had been on fewer than two seasons. For this season, a male and female captain were determined at the beginning of the season. After each team challenge, the losing team captain was sent to the "Gauntlet", where they would face an opponent of the same sex and same team who was voted into the Gauntlet by the respective team. Gauntlets alternated between "Male Gauntlets" and "Female Gauntlets".
|Episode||Gender||Winners||Gauntlet contestants||Gauntlet game||Gauntlet outcome|
|1||Chock Full o' Coconuts[b]||Male||Rookies||Adam L.||Derrick||Name That Coconut||Derrick||Adam L.|
|2||Team Builders||Female||Veterans||Kina||Cameran||Capture The Flag||Kina||Cameran[a]|
|3||Moving Pyramid||Male||Veterans||Alton||Danny||Beach Brawl||Alton||Danny|
|5||Body Painters||Male||Veterans||Alton||Adam K.||Capture The Flag||Alton||Adam K.|
|6||Rickshaw Races||Female||Rookies||Ruthie||Beth||Reverse Tug-O-War||Beth||Ruthie|
|7||Team Strength||Male||Rookies||Derrick||Ace||Beach Brawl||Derrick||Ace|
|8||Balancing Act||Female||Rookies||Beth||Montana||Reverse Tug-O-War||Beth||Montana|
|10||Pull Me||Female||Veterans||Kina||Cara||Name That Coconut||Kina||Cara|
|11||Spare Tires||Male||Veterans||Alton||Jeremy||Capture The Flag||Alton||Jeremy|
|12||Easy Does It||Female||Rookies||Beth||Aneesa||Beach Brawl||Aneesa||Beth[a]|
|13||The Pit||Male||Rookies||Derrick||Brad||Name That Coconut||Derrick||Brad|
|14||Blind Trust||Female||Veterans||Kina||Jillian||Sticky Situation||Kina||Jillian|
|15||Piece by Piece||Male||Rookies||Derrick||Timmy||Reverse Tug-O-War||Timmy||Derrick|
|16||Bet Your Booty||N/A||Rookies[c]|
- The final Veterans were Aneesa, David, Julie, Katie, Mark, Robin, and Timmy.
- The final Rookies were Alton, Ibis, Jamie, Jodi, Kina, Landon, MJ, Randy, and Susie.
- The final captains were Alton, Aneesa, Kina, and Timmy.
- David, Julie, Katie, Mark, Robin, Ibis, Jamie, Jo, Jodi, Landon, MJ, Randy, and Susie never stepped into the Gauntlet.
- The contestant is on the Rookies team.
- The contestant is on the Veterans team.
- [c] The contestant's team won by default after the other team forfeited.
- [c] The contestant's team forfeited after determining they weren't going to win.
- The contestant's team won the challenge and was safe.
- The contestant won the Gauntlet.
- The contestant sat out of the challenge and was exempt from the Gauntlet.
- The contestant sat out of the challenge and the contestant's team won the challenge.
- The contestant was selected for the Gauntlet, but did not have to compete.
- The contestant lost the Gauntlet and was eliminated.
- The contestant withdrew from the competition.
Challenges in the Gauntlet
- Name That Coconut: Players had to find the coconut with the name of the person that is the answer to a RW/RR trivia question.
- Played 3 Times; Derrick vs. Adam L., Kina vs. Cara, Derrick vs. Brad
- Beach Brawl: Players had to wrestle their opponent out of a ring.
- Played 4 Times: Alton vs. Danny, Derrick vs. Ace, Derrick vs. Syrus, Aneesa vs. Beth
- Capture the Flag: Players had to climb up a 20-foot (approx. 6 meters) rope net to get a flag.
- Played 3 Times: Kina vs. Cameran, Alton vs. Adam K., Alton vs. Jeremy
- Reverse Tug-O-War: Players are tied to each other, facing away from each other. First to get their flag wins.
- Played 4 Times: Ruthie vs. Jisela, Beth vs. Ruthie, Beth vs. Montana, Timmy vs. Derrick
- Sticky Situation: Players had to stick balls to a board as their opponent tries to stop you.
- Played 1 Time: Kina vs. Jillian
- Knock Off: The wheel never landed on this challenge; the rules and gameplay of the challenge are unknown.
- Other spaces on the wheel
- Spin Again: If a Gauntlet challenge was done 3 times, the next time there is a Gauntlet, that challenge is taken off the wheel for that instance and is replaced by Spin Again.
- Captain's Choice: The captain of the team going into the Gauntlet will choose which challenge he or she will be doing.
- Challenger's Choice: The person the team chose to oppose the captain in the Gauntlet will choose which challenge he or she will be doing.
The final challenge
The final challenge, "Bet Your Booty" consisted of three games, roti eating, a memory challenge, and a relay race, to place bets on after receiving 250 gold doubloons each from the host, T. J. Lavin, with each contestant eligible to compete in only one event.
|Pirate Memory [c]||Katie|
|Sand Sprint [c]||Aneesa|
|Title||Original air date|
|1||140||"Throwing Down the Gauntlet"||December 5, 2005|
|The new cast of The Gauntlet 2 arrive to Trindad and Tobago. Their newest host, BMX rider T. J. Lavin, informs them that they would be competing for a spot as team captain. While the captain position comes with perks, it also comes with a price—the captain of the losing team would be forced to go into the Gauntlet (the elimination round) where they will face-off against another challenger from their team. Jo finds the living conditions too much to handle.|
|2||141||"Derrick Steps It Up"||December 12, 2005|
|Facing off in their first challenge, "Chock Full o' Coconuts," the Veterans set out to prove whether prior challenge experience will prevail over the Rookies' youthful enthusiasm. Later, at the first men's Gauntlet showdown, a heated battle results in the first player to be eliminated from the game.|
|3||142||"We Can Work It Out"||December 19, 2005|
|Rookie female team captain Kina is worried how her vulnerable position will affect her relationship with her teammate and boyfriend, Randy. The teams are forced to work together to come out on top at the "Team Builders" challenge. The first female Gauntlet ends with a surprising outcome.|
|4||143||"The $10,000 Pyramid"||December 26, 2005|
|A long-standing rivalry between Danny and Jodi erupts in a heated confrontation. At the "Moving Pyramid" challenge, the teams must literally carry the weight of their teammates. And the Gauntlet sets the stage for one player's angry departure.|
|5||144||"Sloppy Seconds"||January 2, 2006|
|The players set out to soak their competition at the "Spongeworthy" challenge. The Gauntlet sends home another victim. In addition, a complicated love triangle between Mark, Robin and Jodi results in an emotional breakdown.|
|6||145||"Watching Paint Dry"||January 9, 2006|
|Tension is high among the team captains, as Alton struggles with the tough responsibility of the job and Derrick's abrasive behavior causes strife between him and Brad. The "Body Painting" challenge finds the teams in a colorful mess as they battle for victory. And two quick climbers race for survival at the Gauntlet.|
|7||146||"The Heat Is On"||January 16, 2006|
|Notorious trouble-maker Beth is back in action as she feuds with teammate Montana. The heat is on as the teams go the distance at the "Rickshaw Races" challenge. And a stunning Gauntlet upset leaves one team worried about their dubious new captain.|
|8||147||"Rookie Movies"||January 23, 2006|
|Accusations of an alliance with the other team send the Rookies into a state of chaos. The players put their muscles to the test at the "Team Strength" challenge. A costly mistake at the challenge results in a beloved castmember being sent to the Gauntlet.|
|9||148||"Walking the Line"||January 30, 2006|
|With suspicion still clouding their team, the Rookies struggle to come together for a win. The Veterans grow frustrated with the performance of their controversial captain, Beth. At the "Balancing Act" challenge, the teams must face a nerve-wracking tightrope walk. And the Gauntlet is the stage for the settling of a long-standing grudge.|
|10||149||"Bucked"||February 6, 2006|
|The competitors face the ride of their lives at the "Buck-A-Neer" challenge. Derrick must once again fight for survival in the Gauntlet. An island romance blossoms between Alton and Jodi.|
|11||150||"Victory At Last"||February 13, 2006|
|Cara and Susie worry how their alienation from the other women on their team will affect their chances in the game. The Veterans set out to end their four-game losing streak as they struggle to hold their own at the "Pull Me" challenge. The Gauntlet heats up as two fiercely competitive women face off in a grueling battle.|
|12||151||"Tire Me Up, Tire Me Down"||February 20, 2006|
|Beth's lackluster performance at the challenges continues to frustrate the Veterans. The teams must make their way through a dangling obstacle course at the "Spare Tires" challenge. The Gauntlet claims another victim.|
|13||152||"Mac-Beth"||February 27, 2006|
|The pressure of being team captain takes its toll on Kina. Beth continues to wreak havoc on the Veteran team. At the "Easy Does It" challenge, the players race to cross a swinging platform. A sudden twist brings a surprise ending to a highly anticipated Gauntlet showdown.|
|14||153||"The Good, the Brad, and the Ugly"||March 6, 2006|
|The teams must work together to pull themselves to a victory as they face their latest challenge-"The Pit." Two friends face a difficult situation as they must compete to send one another home at the Gauntlet. And Jodi and Alton wonder about the future of their relationship as the Challenge nears its end.|
|15||154||"Blind Panic"||March 13, 2006|
|The Veteran women fear their male teammates may throw a challenge in order to send one of the girls home. The players put their faith in each other's hands as they walk blindfolded across a suspended balance beam in the "Blind Trust" challenge. Kina must make a difficult decision as she selects an opponent to compete against in the final women's Gauntlet.|
|16||155||"Last Men Standing"||March 20, 2006|
|With the last men's Gauntlet in front of them, the men worry about the possibility of being sent home the day before the Final Challenge. At the "Piece By Piece" challenge, the teams put their mechanical skills to the test. And one team must watch as two of their most beloved players go head-to-head to make it to the end in the most emotionally charged Gauntlet yet.|
|17||156||"Don't Bet On It"||March 27, 2006|
|The last male Gauntlet comes to a shocking end. The Rookie women have decided that losing is not an option, while Veteran team remain confident that they will pull an upset and take it home. The final challenge comes to a close in an unusual way. The Rookies won the Real World/Road Rules Challenge: The Gauntlet 2, with each rookie earning $26,666, while the Veterans were the runners-up, with each veteran earning $8,571.|
The reunion special, Shark Infested Waters: Gauntlet II Reunion, was aired after the season finale on March 27, 2006 and was hosted by VJ Susie Castillo.
- For this challenge, a male and female captain were determined at the beginning of the show based on physical prowess, although some chose to use rock-paper-scissors to decide.
- Jo made her first appearance in a Challenge, marking her first return to MTV in eleven years, and quickly caused controversy in the first episode. She called the police to escort her out and leave the show after she found being in the house with 31 other cast members intolerable.
- Derrick blew up at his team for choosing a secret ballot method for voting into the Gauntlet rather than openly stating their votes.
- After the Rookies lost the second challenge, Kina picked Cameran for the Gauntlet. Cameran voluntarily lost, feeling Kina would be a better captain than she would. Many of the Veterans were astounded at this, especially after Derrick and Adam L. fought so hard in the previous Gauntlet. This led to an argument between Cara and Aneesa, with Timmy mimicking Aneesa's rant behind her.
- Danny harbored intense hatred towards his former Road Rules cast member Jodi, due to his belief that she manipulated the cast into voting him off. After being called out in the "Moving Pyramid" challenge, Danny lashed out at Jodi, which then led to Alton pulling Danny into the Gauntlet. He went on another tirade, claiming he would easily defeat Alton in the Gauntlet, but was beaten in a humiliating fashion. Jodi recounted at the reunion that Danny then suffered a painful medical crisis after he returned home, and that after she called him to talk about the events of the challenge he hung up on her. Danny never appeared on another Challenge after this one until he died in 2017 at the age of 33.
- Jisela volunteered to go into the Gauntlet and lost to Ruthie. Host T.J. Lavin commented that Jisela pretty much quit the game.
- In a Veterans team meeting Ace took fault for the failure during a mission and volunteered to go to the Gauntlet. He and Derrick went head-to-head in a wrestling beach brawl. Derrick stayed low and powered his way through Ace to keep his role at Veteran captain.
- When Beth reveals to Robin that Jodi had told her that Mark, who Robin was seeing at the time, said he was in love with her, she confronted Mark, who became so angry with Robin that he punched the bus and walked home.
- While strategizing for a mission in which a team member had to pull other team members around a track in a large rickshaw, Beth decided that she should be the one teammate who would sit out, due to her being the biggest woman on the team (the veterans had to sit one man and one woman out due to having more players than the rookies). Montana, along with several other members, believed that Beth was manipulating Ruthie so that she would get immunity from the Gauntlet. The team sided with Montana and let her sit out. Beth performed well in the mission, but the team lost. Beth was voted into the Gauntlet against Ruthie, but stunned the team by beating her at the Reverse Tug-of-War, thus becoming the new female team captain.
- While her team hoped she would be eliminated as soon as possible, Beth defeated both Ruthie and Montana in "Reverse Tug-O-War" Gauntlets. Both of her opponents stated that Beth had the advantage over them because she weighed more than they did.
- Jillian tells Kina that Susie and Cara approached her for an alliance with the other team, starting a rivalry between Cara and Kina.
- After losing a challenge, Beth quit the Beach Brawl wrestling challenge against Aneesa, claiming it was "against her moral values", thus leading to a segue in which host T.J. Lavin stated, "I thought I told you to quit two weeks ago when the other quitters quit". The other cast members speculated that she was afraid of losing to Aneesa, who was praying for the Beach Brawl challenge. At the reunion, Beth defended her decisions, while Timmy said that the team's anger with her stemmed from her history of performing well for stretches and then not trying when she didn't feel like it.
- Controversy arose amongst the Rookies team when Kina chose to go against Jillian in the final Gauntlet as opposed to Ibis, whom some of the Rookies believed to be a weaker player.
- On the reunion show, Mark announced his retirement from the Challenges. He gave his bandana to Derrick saying, "From the first Road Ruler to the last Road Ruler, I give you my bandana." Mark joins Mike "The Miz" Mizanin, Eric Nies and Timmy Beggy as the only cast members to officially issue a "retirement" from the Challenges. However, Mark would come out of retirement for The Duel II in 2009 and Battle of the Exes in 2012 (and since 2012 stated numerous times he wants to come back for another one).
- Jamie was mistakenly cast as a Rookie when he had previously been on two challenges. (Extreme Challenge and Battle of the Sexes).
- On the final men's Gauntlet day, Timmy volunteered to face off against Derrick in the final men's Gauntlet, even though Derrick had stated he wanted David to go in. After two ties, with Katie and Aneesa opting not to vote, Timmy ultimately went in after time ran out and he told T.J. he wanted to go in. Despite stating beforehand that he did not even want to win, Timmy went on to win the Gauntlet, dethroning Derrick (who had already won 4 Gauntlet rounds), the Veterans' male captain, the day before the final challenge.
- Cameran & Beth gave the win to their Gauntlet opponents, and did not participate.
- Jo withdrew from the game in Episode 1 before the first challenge. As a result, Kina was named team captain for coming in second in the Captain's challenge.
- Only the first event was played, after the Veterans team bet 248 coins on the roti eating challenge. After a loss gave the Rookies 249 coins, the Veterans elected to forfeit, on the basis that Aneesa could not win against the three Rookies that were to race her in the relay event. (Episode recap) During the reunion show, Mark and Robin attributed the loss to a bout of food poisoning the night before.