Real as I Wanna Be
|Real as I Wanna Be|
|Studio album by|
|Released||19 October 1998|
|Label||EMI (UK / Europe) |
Finer Arts Records (US)
|Cliff Richard chronology|
|Singles from Real as I Wanna Be|
Real as I Wanna Be is an album by Cliff Richard, released in October 1998 by EMI Records. It peaked at number 10 on the UK Albums Chart and was certified Silver in the UK and Gold in New Zealand.
"Can't Keep this Feeling In" was released as the lead single a week ahead of the album and peaked on debut at number 10 on the UK Singles Chart. "The Miracle" was released in July the following year and peaked at number 23.
"Vita Mia", a duet with Vincenzo La Scola was intended to be the second single over the 1998 Christmas period. A video clip was recorded for it and artwork for a CD single was produced together with a promo CD single for radio. However, the record company EMI postponed its release until January, citing Richard's ill health as the reason (the ill health being a chest infection followed by laryngitis, which also prevented him from singing during rehearsals for concerts in November 1998). Relations between Richard and EMI at the time were also strained due to the lack of promotion and lack of sales of the album, and the single was further postponed until February before being abandoned altogether.
In the lead up before the lead single "Can't Keep this Feeling In" was released, a ruse was concocted in an attempt to circumvent prejudice that had increasingly led to Richard's widespread exclusion from airplay on UK radio stations (not including BBC Radio 2). Richard had considered, "because it was a slow, black rhythm and blues style and had a lot of falsetto, I felt I wasn't too recognisable". So a heavily remixed dance version (Step Child Mix) was sent out to 240 radio stations under the pseudonym "Blacknight". It resulted in the track being added to playlists on many UK radio stations including Choice FM and Kiss 100. It also received complimentary comments from DJs. Choice FM DJ Jerry Bascombe said, "It is a great record and it took about four days to realise the identity of the artist. I suppose, to be honest, if we knew it was by Cliff we would have never played it, so it proves his point. Now we'll go on playing it regardless."
- "Real as I Wanna Be" (Peter Zizzo) – 4:32
- "Even If It Breaks My Heart" (Adam Gorgoni, Phil Roy, Shelly Peiken) – 3:45
- "Can't Keep this Feeling In" (Arnie Roman, Dennis Lambert, Steve Skinner) – 3:49
- "Climbing Up Mount Everest" (Robin Lerner, Tommy Lee James) – 3:01
- "United for Evermore" (Dennis Morgan, John McLaughlin, Steve DuBerry) – 4:21
- "She Makes Me Feel Like a Man" (Cliff Richard, Michelle Wolf, Peter Wolf) – 5:38
- "Butterfly Kisses" (Bob Carlisle, Randy Thomas) – 5:14
- "Snowfall on the Sahara" (Ina Wolf, Natalie Cole, Peter Wolf) – 4:26
- "Woman and a Man" (Noel McCoy, Michelle Wolf, Shelly Peiken) – 4:47
- "Till I'm Home Again" (Amy Sky, Andy Hill) – 5:15
- "Come Back to Me" (Michelle Wolf, Peter Wolf) – 4:47
- "The Miracle" (Brenda Lee Eugar) – 3:28
- "Vita Mia" (duet with Vincenzo La Scola, tenor) (Lyrics by Michelle Wolf, Zucchero Fornaciari; music by Peter Wolf) – 4:18
US edition bonus track
- Vinnie Colaiuta – drums
- John Cushon – drums
- Lynn Davis – background vocals
- Kevin Dorsey – background vocals
- Siedah Garrett – background vocals
- Everette Harp – alto sax
- James Ingram – background vocals
- Matthias Jabs – guitar
- Paul Jackson Jr. – guitar, sitar
- Ricky Lawson – drums
- Anastasios Panos – drums
- Cliff Richard – primary artist, background vocals
- Jeff Richman – guitar
- Michelle Wolf – background vocals
- Marketing / Distribution / Manufacturing EMI
- Phonographic copyright – EMI Records Ltd. / Copyright – EMI Records Ltd.
- Recorded at Little America Recording Studios / Ocean Studios / Arco Studios / R.G. Jones Studios / The Pierce Room
- Mixed at Little America Recording Studios
- Mastered at Precision Mastering
- Design – The Attik
- Engineers – Chris Heil, Christian Leitgeb, Keith Bessey, Paul Ericksen
- Mastered by Stephen Marcussen
- Mixed by Julian Mendelsohn (tracks 10–12), Peter Wolf
- Produced and arranged by Peter Wolf
Charts and certifications
- "Real as I Wanna Be - Cliff Richard - Songs, Reviews, Credits - AllMusic". AllMusic. Retrieved 31 July 2018.
- "Cliff Richard | Artist | Official Charts". UK Albums Chart.
- "British album certifications – Cliff Richard – Real As I Wanna Be". British Phonographic Industry. Select albums in the Format field. Select Silver in the Certification field. Type Real As I Wanna Be in the "Search BPI Awards" field and then press Enter.
- "New Zealand album certifications – Cliff Richard – Real As I Wanna Be". Recorded Music NZ.
- "Vita Mia video clip". www.youtube.com. EMI Records. Retrieved 6 March 2016.
- "Records CDs Videos - Vita Mia on hold". Dynamite International. Utrecht, Netherlands: The International Cliff Richard Movement (181): 2. December 1999.
- Pogue, Deborah (February 1999). "A serious illness could have ended Cliff's career". Dynamite International (reprinted from OK! magazine). Utrecht, Netherlands: The International Cliff Richard Movement (182): 3.
- "Cliff's contract goes pop as his latest album flops". www.thefreelibrary.com. Sunday Mirror. Retrieved 6 March 2016.
- "Butterfly Kisses video clip". www.youtube.com. EMI Records. Retrieved 6 March 2016.
- "New Single - Butterfly Kisses". Dynamite International. Utrecht, Netherlands: The International Cliff Richard Movement (182): 2. February 1999.
- "Sir Cliff foils radio ban". UK: BBC. Retrieved 13 August 2015.
- Cable, Simon (1 May 2008). "Cliff Richard: I had to release a single under a false name to win airtime from ageist radio bosses". London: The Daily Mail. Retrieved 13 August 2015.
- Whitehead, Jennifer (13 November 1998). "CAMPAIGNS: Media Relations - Winning airplay for Cliff Richard". UK: PR Week. Retrieved 13 August 2015.
- "Real as I Wanna Be - Cliff Richard - Credits - AllMusic". AllMusic. Retrieved 31 July 2018.
- Ryan, Gavin (2011). Australia's Music Charts 1988–2010. Mt. Martha, VIC, Australia: Moonlight Publishing.
- "Dutchcharts.nl – Cliff Richard – Real As I Wanna Be" (in Dutch). Hung Medien.
- "Charts.nz – Cliff Richard – Real As I Wanna Be". Hung Medien.