|Type of business||Division|
|Services||Payment Service Provider, Payment gateway|
|Parent||Global Payments Inc.|
Realex Payments is a European payment service provider and a division of Global Payments Inc. with offices in Dublin and London. The company provides a broad range of payment gateway services and processes transactions in excess of €35 billion per annum on behalf of more than 14,000 clients including Virgin Atlantic Airways, Vodafone Ireland, the AA, AXA Insurance, Paddy Power and Aer Lingus.
Realex Payments was founded in 2000 by entrepreneur, Mark Lyon. The company has grown rapidly since its inception, now employing over 170 staff. In 2007, it expanded into the UK market, following a surge in business being transacted online. In 2010, it signed a deal with French bank BNP Paribas which will allow payments to be processed directly into accounts in France.
Lyon was Chairman of the Irish Internet Association from 2004 until December 2007. In 2005, he was a finalist of the Ernst and Young Entrepreneur of the Year Award. In 2009, he was named Internet Hero at the Eircom Golden Spiders awards for his work in setting up Realex Payments. In 2010, Lyon was involved in initiating iGap hosted by Enterprise Ireland.
In August 2013, a personal payment account for consumers called Realex Fire was launched as part of Realex Financial Services Limited. Following the acquisition of Realex Payments in March 2015, Realex Financial Services Limited was renamed Fire Financial Services Limited and its product rebranded as Pay with Fire. Fire Financial Services Limited now trades independently of Realex Payments.
Following the acquisition, Realex Payments appointed Gary Conroy as Managing Director. Gary Conroy joined Realex Payments in 2005, serving as chief operating officer and deputy CEO where he managed all customer facing aspects of the business across sales, marketing, and operations.
- "Global Payments buys Realex in deal worth €115m". irishtimes.com. Retrieved 10 June 2015.
- "Realex processed €35 Bln in year to April Financial,Ireland, news for Ireland, Business,Ireland,". www.businessworld.ie. Retrieved 10 August 2016.
- "Celtic kitten: Ireland's tech start-ups flex their claws, ready to play". bbc.co.uk. Retrieved 10 June 2015.
- "Realex founder Colm Lyon: The CV". Irish Independent. 1 December 2013.
- "Irish company leading the global revolution in online payments". independent.ie. Retrieved 10 June 2015.
- "Realex enjoys boom in online payments". Retrieved 10 June 2015.
- "Realex Payments promises 50 Dublin jobs". RTÉ.ie. 19 September 2012. Retrieved 17 November 2014.
- "Realex Payments to create 50 jobs with expansion to new headquarters". Irish Examiner. 20 September 2012. Retrieved 17 November 2014.
- "Single Euro Payments Area (SEPA) European payments takes its first steps towards harmonisation, but there's still a long way to go". Iia.ie. Archived from the original on 11 November 2014. Retrieved 17 November 2014.
- "INM". Idworks.ie. Archived from the original on 24 March 2012. Retrieved 17 November 2014.
- "Ireland needs to ramp up and fund more internet business start-ups". SiliconRepublic.com. 19 November 2009.
- "Realex launches new personal payment account". RTÉ.ie. 14 August 2013.
- "How to Save Money Making International Payments". moneywire.co. Archived from the original on 11 June 2015. Retrieved 10 June 2015.
- "Global Payments Acquires Realex Payments, Expanding Its International Ecommerce Offerings". finance.yahoo.com. Archived from the original on 11 June 2015. Retrieved 10 June 2015.
- "Realex Payments appoints Gary Conroy as managing director". businessandleadership.com. Archived from the original on 11 June 2015. Retrieved 10 June 2015.