Reality (Richard Sanderson song)
|Single by Richard Sanderson|
|from the album La Boum|
|B-side||"Gotta Get A Move On"
"Maybe You're Wrong" (1987 re-release)
|Recorded||1980 at Barclay Studios, Paris, France|
|Length||4:47 (Album version)
3:58 (Radio edit)
|Producer(s)||Pierre Richard Muller|
"Reality" is a song performed by English singer Richard Sanderson. It was released in 1980 as part of the soundtrack to the popular 1980 French film La Boum, which starred French actress Sophie Marceau (who later starred in popular films such as Academy Award-winning Braveheart and James Bond franchise The World Is Not Enough). It was also served as the theme song to the 2011 Korean film Sunny.
Musically, "Reality" is a ballad, sometimes called an adult-contemporary song, and consists of synthesizers and guitar riffs which cause it to be classified under the soft-rock genre. It was composed by Vladimir Cosma, written by Jeff Jordan and produced by Pierre Richard Muller. Between 1980 and 1982, then in 1987 after its re-release, it became a major hit in Europe and Asia, topping the charts in fifteen countries including Germany, France, Italy, Austria, Finland and Switzerland and selling more than eight million copies worldwide, making it one of the best-selling singles of all time. The song led Richard Sanderson to stardom, giving him more hits with Cosma such as "Your Eyes", "She's a Lady", and "Sun".
"Reality" has been covered many times by various artists, including one singing a Spanish version of the song ("Mi realidad"). On DSDS, the German equivalent of American Idol, the song has been sung multiple times. In the film La Boum, it also appears frequently (usually during the actors' romantic scenes), being the film's main theme song. For the film's 1982 sequel, La Boum 2, the main song was changed to "Your Eyes", performed by Cook da Books. Because "Reality" has the same key as "Go On Forever" (another song played in the last part of the film, from the La Boum soundtrack and sung by Sanderson and Chantal Curtis), both songs are musically linked at the end of the film.
- 1 Versions
- 2 Chart positions
- 3 Certifications
- 4 See also
- 5 References
- 6 Notes
- 7 External links
In the 1980s, "Reality" became an instant hit in some countries in Europe, Japan, South Korea, Hong Kong and the Philippines. I has been released in various forms. Some of them were remixed or mashed up, and released on one of Sanderson's compilation albums and/or played on radio stations.
The single version of the song omits some verses on the second repetition of the chorus (Maybe my foolishness is past, and maybe now at last, I see how the real thing can be), and ends with a fade effect. This version can be found on the singles released between 1980 and 1987, normally with another song from La Boum (most original copies had "Gotta Get A Move On" (Instrumental) by Karoline Krüger on the B-side, although some came with "I Can't Swim" or "Swingin' Around") and on The Best of Richard Sanderson.
The album version of the song has the omitted lines and ends with a defined musical melody. This is the most common version. It can be found on La Boum Original Soundtrack (old and new editions and the English edition), Sanderson's studio album Reality and compilation albums of his.
An instrumental version appears on some vinyl editions of the single, the new edition of La Boum Original Soundtrack and The Best of Richard Sanderson. This version has a synth sound replacing Sanderson's voice, and a different guitar solo.
There's an extended version of the song whose duration is about eight minutes and which repeats the verses and the chorus, as well as the guitar solo three times. It appears on The Best of Richard Sanderson.
The Special Mix
Finally, there's a version called The Special Mix, which is a mashup of the album version and the instrumental version. It appears on some of Sanderson's EPs and compilation albums.
In 2009, Cosma and Sanderson made a new version of the song – this one having an orchestra style instead of synthesized sounds, and replacing the guitar solo. Sanderson's vocals were rerecorded for this version, except for the first verses.
There's also a 2010 version of the song with new synthesized sounds made by Sanderson.
This song was the closing scene in BoBoiBoy The Movie On Disney Channel Asia
This song was the closing scene in the series in BoBoiBoy Galaxy on TVB Pearl
Instrumental or orchestral versions of the song by Vladimir Cosma
In the film, the song's main melody is heard repeatedly with different sounds. Here are the songs that have the main melody and appear on the new edition of La Boum Soundtrack:
- La rentrée
- Poupette harpiste
- Retrouvailles sentimentales
- Vic et Mathieu au ralenti
|Austria (Ö3 Austria Top 40)||1|
|Belgium (Ultratop 50 Flanders)||16|
|Germany (Official German Charts)||1|
|Switzerland (Schweizer Hitparade)||1|
- "RICHARD SANDERSON: Biography". Music library. Retrieved 2013-01-09.
- "RICHARD SANDERSON - REALITY (SONG)". The Official Finnish Charts. 1980. Retrieved 1981-04-03. Check date values in:
- "The Party (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack La Boum) — Vladimir Cosma". iTunes.
- "Austriancharts.at – Richard Sanderson – Reality" (in German). Ö3 Austria Top 40. Retrieved 2013-04-24.
- "Ultratop.be – Richard Sanderson – Reality" (in Dutch). Ultratop 50. Retrieved 2013-04-24.
- "Toutes les Chansons N° 1 des Années 80" (in French). Infodisc.fr. 2013-04-25. Retrieved 2013-04-24.
- "Offiziellecharts.de – Richard Sanderson – Reality". GfK Entertainment Charts. Retrieved 2013-04-24.
- "Billboard Vol. 94, No. 11: Hits of the World". Billboard. 1982-03-20. Retrieved 2013-04-24.
- "Billboard Vol. 94, No. 17: Hits of the World". Billboard. 1982-05-01. Retrieved 2013-04-24.
- "Swisscharts.com – Richard Sanderson – Reality". Swiss Singles Chart. Retrieved 2013-04-24.
- "French single certifications – Richard Sanderson – Reality" (in French). InfoDisc. Select RICHARD SANDERSON and click OK
- "InfoDisc : Les 45 T. / Singles les plus vendus en France" (in French). Syndicat National de l'Édition Phonographique. 2013-04-25. Retrieved 2013-04-24.
- I singoli più venduti del 1982 at Hit Parade Italia
- German Top 20 - Top 400 Of The Decade, The 80s by Markus Tolksdorf
- Watch "Reality" by Richard Sanderson on YouTube
- Reality – Richard Sanderson at the Internet Movie Database
"Couleur Menthe a L'eau" by Eddy Mitchell
|French Top 100 Best Sold Singles Chart number-one single
23 January — 19 March 1981 (8 weeks)
"Stop the Cavalry" by Jona Lewie
"Showing Out (Get Fresh at the Weekend)" by Mel and Kim
|German Top 100 Singles Chart number-one single
6 February — 12 March 1987 (5 weeks)
"Stay" by Pierre Cosso & Bonnie Bianco
"C'est La Vie" by Robbie Nevil
|Swiss Singles Top 75 Chart number-one single
22 February — 4 April 1987 (6 weeks)
"Respectable (Mel and Kim song)" by Mel and Kim