Rear-engine, four-wheel-drive layout
The R4 layout is very rare, only having been used on a small number of production vehicles. Notable vehicles with this layout include several high-performance Porsche sports cars, including the 959, the 911 Turbo since the introduction of the turbocharged version of the 993 series in 1995, and the 911 Carrera 4 introduced with the 964 series in 1989.
Some Volkswagen Kübelwagen (the rear-engined beetle-based military vehicle used by Germany in World War II) variants were produced with 4-wheel or all-wheel drive, including the Type 86, Type 87, Type 98. Also, some Vanagons/Microbuses came in 4WD Syncro version.
- Ludvigsen, Karl (2003). Porsche. Excellence Was Expected. 3. Cambridge, Mass.: Bentley Publishers. ISBN 0-8376-0235-1.
- Taylor, Blaine (2004). Volkswagen Military Vehicles of the Third Reich. Cambridge, Massachusetts: Da Capo Press. ISBN 0-306-81313-0. OCLC 55534990.
- Road Trippers, Syncro
- Porsche - 1989 Porsche 911 Carrera Coupé, Cabriolet, Targa, Speedster, and 4 Coupé
- Porsche - 1989 Porsche Turbo 911 Coupé, Cabriolet, and Targa
- Official website of Porsche
- 993 Owners and information
- Information on and about Porsche 993
- Porsche 911 Carrera 2 (Generation 993) Exterior and Interior in Full HD 3D YouTube
- -Driving Americas with VW Westfalia 4x4 Extreme Adventure, YouTube
|Roadster & sports cars||912||912E||924||Boxster (986)|
|911||911 / 930||911 (964)||911 (993)||911 (996)|
|This article about an automotive technology is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Porsche 993.|