Reba Paige Meagher (born 1967) is a former Australian politician who was a member of the New South Wales Legislative Assembly, representing the electoral district of Cabramatta. She was a minister in various portfolios from 2003 to 2008. On 6 September 2008 Meagher announced that she would not be seeking a ministerial appointment from new Premier Nathan Rees. On 13 September 2008 she announced her retirement as a NSW MP. She formally resigned on 17 September 2008.
Meagher was born in 1967 in Caringbah, New South Wales, the daughter of Les Meagher, a printer for the Sydney Morning Herald. She received her Higher School Certificate from Endeavour High School in 1985. She graduated with a Bachelor of Arts from the University of Sydney in 1989, and a Master of Labour Law and Relations in 1992.
Meagher has declared on 7 November 2008 at an equiry that just over an hour after the Cabramatta MP John Newman was shot in front of his fiancee on 5 September 1994, the then Labor Party head (Now Labor MLC and former Health Minister) John Della Bosca, offered the seat to Reba Meagher - confirming an offer he had first made hours before the killing.
Since entering Parliament, Meagher served in a number of ministerial and sub-ministerial positions:
- Parliamentary Secretary Assisting the Minister for Transport and Minister for Roads on matters concerning Roads (April 1999 to March 2002)
- Parliamentary Secretary Assisting the Minister for Police (March 2003 to April 2003)
- Minister for Fair Trading (April 2003 to January 2005)
- Minister Assisting the Minister for Commerce (April 2003 to January 2005)
- Minister for Youth (January 2005 to April 2007)
- Minister for Community Services (January 2005 to April 2007)
- Minister for Aboriginal Affairs (November 2006 to April 2007)
- Minister Assisting the Premier on Citizenship (November 2006 to April 2007)
- Minister for Health (April 2007 to September 2008)
She also served on a number of Parliamentary Committees:
- Member, Committee on the Office of the Ombudsman and the Police Integrity Commission (May 1995 to April 1998)
- Member, Legislative Assembly Standing Ethics Committee (May 1995 to March 1999)
- Member, Committee on the Independent Commission Against Corruption (May 1995 to March 1999)
- Member, Joint Standing Committee upon Small Business (November 1996 to March 1999)
- Member, Joint Select Committee into Injecting Rooms (June 1997 to February 1998)
- "Doomed Reba Meagher quits". news.com.au. 2008-09-06. Retrieved 2008-09-06.
- "Reba Meagher formally resigns". Sydney Morning Herald. 2008-09-17.
- Murphy, Damien; Robins, Brian (2008-09-16). "Now even Rees rues the Grim Reba". The Sydney Morning Herald. Fairfax Ltd. Retrieved 2008-09-16.
- "Meagher, Reba Paige". Australian Women. Retrieved 2007-03-02.
- "The Hon. Reba Paige Meagher, MP". Members of Parliament. Parliament of New South Wales. Retrieved 12 February 2010.
- "I was offered seat the night MP was shot: Reba Meagher". 2008-11-08. Retrieved 5 July 2016.
|Minister for Health
2007 – 2008
John Della Bosca
|Parliament of New South Wales|
|Member for Cabramatta
1994 – 2008