This article contains content that is written like an advertisement. (September 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|June 10, 2014|
Rebbe: The Life and Teachings of Menachem M. Schneerson, the Most Influential Rabbi in Modern History is a biography of Rabbi Menachem Mendel Schneerson authored by Joseph Telushkin and published in 2014.
Writing for the Wall Street Journal, Dara Horn writes that "it will appeal to those curious about the Rebbe's influence on public life, and Mr. Telushkin is particularly strong on the Rebbe's impact on Soviet Jewry, Israel-Diaspora relations and American politics". "To understand why he inspired so many, do yourself a favor and pick up this biography. You don't need to be a Jew or even be a religious person to learn from this monumental man." says Barl Weiss of the Wall Street Journal for NY1.
In the Jewish Daily Forward Mark Oppenheimer writes, “Telushkin offers a rounded portrait of life in the shadow, or the sunlight, of the Rebbe. We meet dozens of followers and hear their stories, get a feel for the texture of their devotion, for why they loved him… It is worth studying how and why his method worked.” Booklist gave a starred review writing "“The subtitle’s claim that Schneerson was the modern world’s most influential Jewish religious leader is proven throughout this highly readable book. Readers are left to draw their own assessment from the wide-ranging portrait.”
Awards and honors
- New York Times bestseller (Hardcover Nonfiction, 2014)
- Publishers Weekly bestseller (Nonfiction, 2014)
- Wall Street Journal bestseller (Hardcover Nonfiction, 2014)
- Washington Post bestseller (Nonfiction, 2014)
- Reuters bestseller (Hardcover Nonfiction, 2014)
- "Rabbis write up the Rebbe". Jewish News Service. June 10, 2014.
- "The Rebbe, From A Personal Angle". The Jewish Week. June 5, 2014.
- "Book Review: 'Rebbe' by Joseph Telushkin and 'My Rebbe' by Adin Steinsaltz". Wall Street Journal. June 13, 2014.
- "The Book Reader: 'Rebbe'". NY1. June 13, 2014. Archived from the original on July 22, 2014.
- "Why Rabbi Schneerson Was Good For Jews But Bad For Biographers". Jewish Daily Forward. June 6, 2014.
- "Booklist Review". Booklist.
|This article about a biographical or autobiographical book on Jewish personalities is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|