August 12, 1971 |
Hazard, Kentucky, U.S.
|Spouse(s)||Eric Dane (m. 2004)|
Rebecca Gayheart (born August 12, 1971) is an American fashion model and television and film actress. Gayheart began her career appearing in a student short film by Brett Ratner, and later gained notice as a spokesperson and model for Noxzema in the early 1990s. She had minor roles in Nothing to Lose and Scream 2 (1997) before starring in the 1998 slasher film Urban Legend (1998) and the black comedy Jawbreaker (1999). She has also had roles on the television series Dead Like Me, Vanished, and Nip/Tuck.
Gayheart was born in Hazard, Kentucky, and raised in Pine Top, Kentucky, the daughter of Floneva (née Slone), who worked as a Mary Kay independent beauty consultant, and Curtis Gayheart, a miner and coal-truck driver. She is of Irish, Italian, and German descent. She moved to New York City at the age of 15, where she completed her education at New York's Professional Children's School and the Lee Strasberg Institute.
In her first film role, Gayheart appeared in Brett Ratner's New York University short film Whatever Happened to Mason Reese? (1990) starring Mason Reese. She also appeared in the Ratner-directed music video Nuttin' But Love performed by Heavy D and the Boyz.
Gayheart's break into the television industry was a series of television commercials for Noxzema in the early 1990s, earning her the moniker "The Noxzema Girl". The commercials began airing in 1991 and brought her recognition. (This was also referred to at the end of the film Urban Legend, when one of the new college students remarks, "And Brenda [Gayheart's character] was the Noxzema Girl.")
In 1992, Gayheart was cast in her first major role in the soap opera Loving as Hannah Mayberry. In 1993 and 1994, she had a recurring role in the Vanishing Son action series. In 1994 and 1995, Gayheart played Bess Martin in the science-fiction series Earth 2. In 1995, she played Antonia Marchette, a recurring character in the series Beverly Hills, 90210, and Luke Perry's character's love interest.
Gayheart has been a regular on the 1999 television series Wasteland, Dead Like Me, and Vanished, and had a recurring role on Nip/Tuck. In 1999, Gayheart starred in the movie Jawbreaker with Rose McGowan, Julie Benz, and Judy Greer as girls in an exclusive clique in their high school.
In 2002, Gayheart was hired for the role of Inara Serra on the television series Firefly but was fired after only one day of filming. Show creator Joss Whedon said that a lack of chemistry existed between the rest of the cast and her. The role was recast with actress Morena Baccarin, who reportedly filmed her first scene the day she was accepted for the role. None of Gayheart's work was used.
In 2007, Gayheart guest-starred on Ugly Betty as Jordan, an ex-girlfriend of Alexis Meade. The following year, Gayheart starred in the Broadway comedy, Boeing-Boeing opposite Christine Baranski, Mark Rylance, Greg Germann, Paige Davis, and Missi Pyle. She had a guest role on The Cleaner in 2009.
For a time, Gayheart was engaged to director Brett Ratner.
She married actor Eric Dane on October 29, 2004. Dane told Flaunt magazine about how they met: "It's probably one of the least interesting stories in the world. It went basically like this: 'You wanna go out?' 'Yeah, sure.' Ten months later, we were married." They have two daughters: Billie Beatrice (born March 3, 2010) and Georgia Geraldine (born December 28, 2011).
On June 13, 2001, Gayheart was driving a vehicle which struck nine-year-old Jorge Cruz, Jr., as he walked across a street in Los Angeles. He died the following day from his injuries. On November 27, 2001, Gayheart pleaded no contest to vehicular manslaughter. She was sentenced to three years of probation, a one-year suspension of her license, a $2,800 fine, and 750 hours of community service.
|1990||Whatever Happened to Mason Reese?||Model #1||Short film|
|1996||Somebody Is Waiting||Lilli|
|1997||Nothing to Lose||Danielle|
|Urban Legend||Brenda Bates|
|2000||From Dusk Till Dawn 3: The Hangman's Daughter||Mary Newlie|
|Shadow Hours||Chloe Holloway||Official Selection Sundance 2000 Competition|
|Urban Legends: Final Cut||Nurse Brenda Bates||Cameo/Uncredited|
|2001||Doppelganger||Brian's Girlfriend||14-min short film|
|Harvard Man||Kelly Morgan|
|2002||Pipe Dream||Marliss Funt|
|2005||Santa's Slay||Gwen Mason|
|2007||Bunny Whipped||Beatriz Magdalene Johnson|
|1992–1993||Loving||Hannah Mayberry||Unknown episodes|
|1992||All My Children||Hannah Mayberry||Unknown episodes|
|1994||Vanishing Son||Clair Armstrong||Television movie|
|Vanishing Son III||Clair Armstrong||Television movie|
|Vanishing Son IV||Clair Armstrong||Television movie|
|1994–1995||Earth 2||Bess Martin||21 episodes|
|1995||Beverly Hills, 90210||Antonia "Toni" Marchette||8 episodes|
|1997||Invasion||Cassy Winslow||Television movie|
|1998||Hercules||Medea (Voice)||1 episode|
|1999||Wasteland||Samantha "Sam" Price||13 episodes|
|2001||Inside Schwartz||Nadia||1 episode|
|2003||Dead Like Me||Betty Rhomer||5 episodes|
|What I Like About You||Dana||1 episode|
|2004||The Division||Suzanne Richland||3 episodes|
|2004–2006||Nip/Tuck||Natasha Charles||3 episodes|
|2005||The Christmas Blessing||Meghan||Television movie|
|Medium||Jessica Delaney||1 episode|
|Vanished||Judy Nash||13 episodes|
|2007||CSI: Miami||Claire Gibbs||1 episode|
|Ugly Betty||Jordan Dunn||1 episode|
|2009||The Cleaner||Carey Kern||1 episode|
- Kentucky Birth Index, 1911–1999. State of Kentucky. At Ancestry.com.
- Rebecca Gayheart Biography at FilmReference.com
- Rebecca Gayheart Biography at Yahoo! Movies Archived September 28, 2009, at the Wayback Machine.
- Forever in Black Hills
- Salzberg, Charles. "Accent on Success", Flair, Fall 1999. Republished at rebecca-gayheart.de
- Rebecca Gayheart at Askmen.com
- "Morena Baccarin replaces Rebecca Gayheart on Firefly". www.streamerarchives.org. Retrieved 2016-08-13.
- Anders, Charlie Jane. "The Real Reason Why Joss Whedon Named His Space Western Show Firefly". Retrieved 2016-08-13.
- Whedon, Joss. Firefly: the complete series: "Serenity" commentary
- "Headlines: Paige Davis and Rebecca Gayheart Fly Into Boeing-Boeing". broadway.com. September 28, 2008. Retrieved 2009-08-28.
- Tewksbury, Drew. Getting Big with Eric Dane, Flaunt
- Donaldson, Catherine (March 5, 2010). "It's a Girl for Eric Dane & Rebecca Gayheart". People.com. Retrieved 2012-03-06.
- Hammel, Sara (December 30, 2011). "It's a Girl for Rebecca Gayheart and Eric Dane!". People.com. Retrieved 2012-03-06.
- people.com Ex-'90210' Star: Wrongful Death Suit
- "Dane's Anatomy". gawker.com. Archived from the original on June 8, 2010.
- "Eric Dane and Rebecca Gayheart's McSteamy Video Tape With Ex-Beauty Queen". ABCNews.go.com. August 18, 2009. Retrieved 2012-03-06.
- Kevork/Djansezian. "Eric Dane, Rebecca Gayheart sex tape: Just videotaped nakedtime!". NJ.com. Retrieved 2012-03-06.
- "[T]hat summer [of 1996], I booked my first role, in an independent movie called Puppet. [...] This film, which to this day I have never seen because I don't think it's possible to purchase a copy of it anywhere at any price, starred Rebecca Gayheart and Fred Weller [...] I don't know anyone who has ever seen or even heard of Puppet. All I can say is that it was screened in a theater at least once, because my manager went to see it." Lange, Artie, with Anthony Bozza and Howard Stern (2009). Too Fat to Fish, Random House Digital, Inc, ISBN 9780385526579, p. 172