|Member of Parliament |
for Castle Point
|Assumed office |
6 May 2010
|Preceded by||Bob Spink|
|Born||22 December 1967|
Windsor, Berkshire, England
|Alma mater||Bedales School|
London School of Economics
Rebecca spent most of her working life with Phillimore & Co. publishers, working in warehousing as a delivery driver and Sales Rep. Working her way through the ranks of the company she eventually joined the Board as Marketing Director.
Harris was a Conservative head office campaign co-ordinator during 2000-2001 and Conservative North West London area officer during 2007-2008. She was elected as MP for Castle Point in 2010 with a majority of 7,632. She was re-elected in 2015 with an increased majority, and then again in 2017 with a substantially increased majority.
She was a member of the Business, Innovation and Skills Committee and has championed the Daylight Saving Bill which, had it passed, would have moved Britain onto Central European Time. On 20 January 2012, the legislation ran out of time to progress, meaning that the United Kingdom would remain on Western European Time. Prior to the EU 2016 referendum Harris stated the intention to campaign for Britain to leave the European Union.
Harris and her entourage recorded video footage of allegedly speeding motorbikers and handed them to the police, after spotting them whilst canvassing for the 2015 general election. Local residents had complained of the street being used for road racing.
Harris was appointed Parliamentary Private Secretary to the newly appointed Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government, Sajid Javid MP in July 2016.
Prior to the General Election in May 2015, Harris was named as the Member of Parliament with the 4th highest voting record in the country.
- "Rebecca Harris MP". BBC Democracy Live. BBC. Retrieved 25 July 2010.
- "Who's Who". Ukwhoswho.com. Retrieved 6 March 2012.
- "No. 61230". The London Gazette. 18 May 2015. p. 9122.
- Barrett, Matthew. "The 24 Conservative MPs who are still on the backbenches and have never rebelled". Conservative Home. Retrieved 19 March 2015.
- Winterman, Denise (24 February 2011). "Could the UK work with two different time zones?". BBC News Magazine. Retrieved 24 February 2011.
- Staff writer (20 January 2012). "Clock change bill runs out of time in Commons". BBC News. Retrieved 21 January 2012.
- "EU vote: Where the cabinet and other MPs stand". BBC News. 22 June 2016. Retrieved 21 June 2017.
- Trayner, David (12 March 2015). "MP films bikers she accuses of speeding". Southend Echo. Retrieved 9 April 2015.
- Wilkinson, Michael (16 April 2015). "Election 2015: How active was my MP?". Telegraph. Retrieved 24 August 2015.
- Rebecca Harris MP Conservative Party profile
- Castle Point Conservatives
- Profile at Parliament of the United Kingdom
- Contributions in Parliament at Hansard 2010–present
- Voting record at Public Whip
- Record in Parliament at TheyWorkForYou
- Profile at Westminster Parliamentary Record
|Parliament of the United Kingdom|
| Member of Parliament for Castle Point