|Member of Parliament
for Castle Point
6 May 2010
|Preceded by||Bob Spink|
22 December 1967 |
Windsor, Berkshire, England
|Alma mater||Bedales School
London School of Economics
Rebecca spent most of her working life with Phillimore & Co. publishers, working in warehousing as a delivery driver and Sales Rep. Working her way through the ranks of the company she eventually joined the Board as Marketing Director.
Harris was a Conservative head office campaign co-ordinator during 2000-2001 and Conservative North West London area officer during 2007-2008. She was elected as MP for Castle Point in 2010 with a majority of 7,632
In 2012 Harris was named by Conservative Home as one of a minority of loyal Conservative backbench MPs not to have voted against the government in any significant rebellions.
She is a member of the Business, Innovation and Skills Committee and has championed the Daylight Saving Bill which, had it passed, would have moved Britain onto Central European Time. On 20 January 2012, the legislation ran out of time to progress, meaning that the United Kingdom would remain on Western European Time.
Harris and her entourage recorded video footage of allegedly speeding motorbikers and handed them to the police, after spotting them whilst canvassing for the 2015 general election. Local residents had complained of the street being used for road racing
- "Rebecca Harris MP". BBC Democracy Live (BBC). Retrieved 25 July 2010.
- "Who's Who". Ukwhoswho.com. Retrieved 2012-03-06.
- Barrett, Matthew. "The 24 Conservative MPs who are still on the backbenches and have never rebelled". Conservative Home. Retrieved 19 March 2015.
- Denise Winterman (24 February 2011). "Could the UK work with two different time zones?". BBC News Magazine. Retrieved 24 February 2011.
- "Clock change bill runs out of time in Commons". BBC News. 20 January 2012.
- Trayner, David (12 March 2015). "MP films bikers she accuses of speeding". Southend Echo. Retrieved 9 April 2015.
- Rebecca Harris MP Conservative Party profile
- Castle Point Conservatives
- Voting record at Public Whip
- Record in Parliament at TheyWorkForYou
- Profile at Westminster Parliamentary Record
- Profile at BBC News Democracy Live
|Parliament of the United Kingdom|
|Member of Parliament for Castle Point