Rebecca Norris Webb
|Rebecca Norris Webb|
Rebecca Norris Webb (with Alex Webb)
|Notable work||The Glass Between Us, Violet Isle: A Duet of Photographs from Cuba, My Dakota|
Rebecca Norris Webb (born 1956) is an American photographer. Originally a poet, her books often combine text and images. She has collaborated with her husband and creative partner, the photographer Alex Webb.
Life and career
She was born in Rushville, Indiana and moved to the Black Hills of South Dakota in 1972 at the age of 15. Originally a poet, she has published five photography books: The Glass Between Us; Violet Isle: A Duet of Photographs from Cuba (with Alex Webb); My Dakota, an elegy for her brother who died unexpectedly; Alex Webb and Rebecca Norris Webb: Memory City; and Alex Webb and Rebecca Norris Webb on Street Photography and the Poetic Image. The book My Dakota blends her poetry with her photographs of her home state of South Dakota. Her work has been exhibited at the Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, the George Eastman House, and internationally. My Dakota was first exhibited in 2012 at the Dahl Arts Center in Rapid City, South Dakota, and exhibited at the North Dakota Museum of Art in Grand Forks, North Dakota, and Ricco/Maresca Gallery in New York City, in 2013. Norris Webb teaches photography workshops with her husband and creative partner, Alex Webb.
Publications by Norris Webb
- The Glass Between Us. New York: Channel Photographics, 2006. ISBN 978-0-976670-88-9.
- My Dakota. Sante Fe, NM: Radius, 2012. ISBN 978-1-934435-47-2.
- Memory City. Sante Fe, NM: Radius. 2014. ISBN 978-1-934435-76-2.
Publications paired with Alex Webb
- Violet Isle: A Duet of Photographs. Santa Fe, NM: Radius, 2009. ISBN 978-1-934435-18-2.
- Alex Webb and Rebecca Norris Webb on Street Photography and the Poetic Image: The Photography Workshop Series. New York: Aperture, 2014. ISBN 978-1-59711-257-4.
- Slant Rhymes. Madrid: La Fábrica, 2017. ISBN 978-8416248865.
Contribution to a publication
- Contatti. Provini d'Autore = Choosing the best photo by using the contact sheet. Vol. I. Edited by Giammaria De Gasperis. Rome: Postcart, 2012. ISBN 978-88-86795-87-6.
- Cole, Teju (11 August 2014). "Slant Rhymes: Alex Webb and Rebecca Norris Webb on “Memory City”". The New Yorker. Retrieved 9 October 2015.
- Estrin, James (21 June 2012). "Prairie, Poetry, and Loss". Lens, The New York Times. Retrieved 4 February 2013.
- Himes, Darius, Chickey, David (December 5, 2012). ""Re-Visioning" - Rebecca Norris Webb's My Dakota". Flak Photo. Retrieved February 14, 2013.
- The Editors (13 July 2012). "Photo-Op: Gimme Shelter". The Wall Street Journal. Retrieved 4 February 2013.
- Shaheen, Suzanne (1 June 2012). "The Landscape of Loss: Rebecca Norris Webb's "My Dakota"". The New Yorker. Retrieved 4 February 2013.
- Feeney, Mark (31 May 2011). "Tropical heat and color". The Boston Globe. Retrieved 4 February 2013.
- "The Week Ahead: May 29 — June 4". The New York Times. 27 May 2011. Retrieved 4 February 2013.
- High Country News (18 February 2013). "My Dakota: A photo essay and conversation". High Country News. Retrieved 20 February 2013.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Rebecca Webb.|
- Official website of Alex Webb and Rebecca Norris Webb
- Why Look at Animals? at George Eastman House Rochester
- Violet Isle: A Duet of Photographs from Cuba at Visura Magazine
- Grief Lesson: Rebecca Norris Webb's Photo Book as Elegy by Conor Risch at Photo District News
- Rebecca Norris Webb: "My Dakota", Time magazine LightBox
- Alex Webb and Rebecca Norris Webb: Rochester Reverie by Jill Shomer, American Photo Magazine
|This article about an American photographer is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|