This article needs additional citations for verification. (April 2021) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Single by Duane Eddy and His 'Twangy' Guitar|
|from the album Have 'Twangy' Guitar Will Travel|
|Duane Eddy and His 'Twangy' Guitar singles chronology|
"Rebel-'Rouser" is a rock and roll instrumental recorded by Duane Eddy. It appeared on Eddy's album Have 'Twangy' Guitar Will Travel. Released as a single in 1958, it charted at number 6 on the Billboard Hot 100. On Billboard's R&B Best Sellers chart, "Rebel-'Rouser" went to number 8.
The tune, Eddy has noted, was not based on “When the Saints Go Marching In” as many assumed, but was loosely inspired by "Who’s Gonna Shoe Your Pretty Little Feet", an old folk song Eddy knew from a Tennessee Ernie Ford record. Eddy has spoken of listening to Ford's recording for inspiration on the morning of the recording session for "Rebel-'Rouser".
Song in popular culture
- Featured in the 1994 movie Forrest Gump and on the film's soundtrack.
- Heard in the 2010 video game Mafia II.
- Appears in 2018 video game Far Cry 5.
- Koda, Cub (1994). Rock Instrumental Classics Volume 1: The Fifties (p. 14) [CD booklet]. Los Angeles: Rhino Records.
- Whitburn, Joel (2004). Top R&B/Hip-Hop Singles: 1942-2004. Record Research. p. 182.