Rebel Salute main stage
|Genre||Reggae, dancehall, etc.|
|Dates||January 15 (+ extra day)|
Rebel Salute is an annual music festival held in Jamaica. It is held on January 15 of every year, the birthday of promoter Tony Rebel. It is one of Jamaica's biggest music festivals, known for its focus on roots and conscious music. Rebel began the festival in 1994 in the parish of Mandeville and was long held annually in St. Elizabeth on the country's south coast until 2012. As of 2014, the festival is now a two-day event, held in the Richmond Park Estate in Saint Ann Parish.
The festival was billed as the Pepsi Rebel Salute during a three-year sponsorship agreement with PepsiCo. Festival producers stated they pursued the agreement as Pepsi products were more in-line with the festival's stance, which allows no alcohol and no meat. The festival has also featured dancehall performers not normally known for "conscious" lyrics by billing them under their birth name, rather than their stage name, in order to highlight their "good side", according to Tony Rebel.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Rebel Salute.|
- 18th Staging of Pepsi Rebel Salute Archived 2011-07-13 at the Wayback Machine. Jamaica Star. Retrieved 12 February 2011.
- Campbell, Charles HE. Rebel Salute, Jazz and Sting Archived 2011-01-20 at the Wayback Machine. Jamaica Observer. 16 January 2011.
- The 'Rebel-ation' continues Archived 2011-07-13 at the Wayback Machine. Jamaica Star. 10 January 2009. Retrieved 15 February 2011.
- Morgan, Simone. Teething Pains. Jamaica Observer. 23 January 2013. Retrieved 24 January 2013.
- Morgan, Simone (2014) "Rebel promises changes", Jamaica Observer, 22 January 2014. Retrieved 24 January 2014
- Mel Cooke. Unlikely combination, Rebel Salute gets fizz from Pepsi Archived 2009-12-16 at the Wayback Machine. Jamaica Gleaner. 13 December 2009. Retrieved 12 February 2011.
- Johnson, Richard. David Brooks, not Mavado, for Rebel Salute Archived 2011-01-06 at the Wayback Machine. Jamaica Observer. 3 January 2011. Retrieved 15 February 2011.