|by Iannis Xenakis|
Iannis Xenakis c. 1970
Rebonds is a composition for solo percussion by Greek composer Iannis Xenakis. It was composed between 1987 and 1989 and, together with Psappha, is one of the two compositions for solo percussion by Xenakis.
Rebonds was written for percussionist Sylvio Gualda, for whom Xenakis had also dedicated other chamber compositions, such as Komboï. It was later published by Éditions Salabert, in an edition revised by Patrick Butin.
Some could argue[weasel words] that Xenakis composed this piece to revolutionize the idea of a solo percussion piece. Many different elements of this piece, such as the ideas of indeterminancy, and the fact that the piece sounds as if more than one person is playing, creates a new sound for solo percussionists.
The composition is in two autonomous movements, named A and B. The first movement uses only skins, with two bongos, three tom-toms, and two bass drums. The second movement, however, uses two bongos, one tumba, one tom-tom, one bass drum, and a set of five wood blocks or wooden slats. According to Xenakis, the order of the composition is not fixed: either first A, then B, or vice versa, but both movements should be performed attacca.
Rebonds has been very well received by critics and musicians. Jacques Longchamp called it an "immense abstract ritual, a suite of movements and of hammerings without any folkloristic "contamination", pure music full of marvellously efflorescent rhythms, going beyond drama and tempest. A new masterpiece".
The following is a list of notable performances of this composition:
|Percussionist||Record Company||Year of Recording||Format|
|Hans-Kristian Kjos Sørensen||BIS Records||2002||CD|
|Pedro Carneiro||Zig-Zag Territoires||2005||CD|
|Steven Schick||Mode Records||2006||CD|
- Harley, James. "Iannis Xenakis Rebonds, for solo percussion". Rovi Corporation. Retrieved 20 October 2014.
- Xenakis, Iannis. Rebonds, for solo percussion. Paris: Editions Salabert.
- Solomos, Makis (2004). " Psappha, Rebonds, Okho " - Notice du CD Iannis Xenakis, Psappha, Rebonds a et b, Okho (P. Carneiro, M. Rich, J. Gibson percussions) (PDF). Zig Zag Territoires. p. 3. Retrieved 21 October 2014.
- "Hans-Kristian Kjos Sørensen Open: Percussion (CD - BIS #1219)". Rovi Corporation. Retrieved 21 October 2014.
- "Pedro Carneiro Iannis Xenakis: Psappha; Rebonds A & B; Okho pour trois djembés [DualDisc] (CD - Zig Zag Territoires #ZZT040901)". Rovi corporation. Retrieved 21 October 2014.
- "Steven Schick Iannis Xenakis: Percussion Works (CD - Mode Records #171)". Rovi Corporation. Retrieved 21 October 2014.