Reborn (Stryper album)
|Studio album by Stryper|
|Released||August 16, 2005|
|Recorded||Blue Jay Studio, MA, U.S.|
|Genre||Christian metal, nu metal|
|Label||Big 3 Records|
|Producer||Michael Sweet (Kenny Lewis)|
|Jesus Freak Hideout|||
Reborn is the ninth release, and sixth album, from the Christian metal band Stryper, and the first full-length album of new material since Against the Law in 1990. Reborn was slated to be a Michael Sweet solo record, but after their reunion tour, Michael Sweet played it for the other members, at which time Oz Fox suggested it should be a Stryper record. So the other members came in and learned their parts from the original demos. Michael says in his autobiography, Honestly: My Life and Stryper Revealed, that he convinced Big3 Records, which had signed him for a solo release, to make it a Stryper record deal. So, Reborn became the first all-original Stryper record in 15 years.
The sound of the album is more contemporary compared to their previous records. It is also heavier and has influences of nu metal. The sound has been cited as more mature than their previous material, "less glam and more filling," according to one reviewer. This is the first album recorded by the band with new bass guitar player Tracy Ferrie. Reborn was released with a variety of cover art, depending on format and region. The alternate US cover art was created for record outlets (such as Christian bookstores) where the original cover art may have been perceived as too disturbing or offensive.
Reborn became a rare collectors' item instantly, since the first copies of the album have a technical mistake; songs 7-9 are played in the album in a different order than the one stated on the cover artwork. Big 3 Records plans to re-release the album with the correct order of songs.
All tracks written by Michael Sweet, except where noted.
- "Open Your Eyes" - 4:02
- "Reborn" - 3:27
- "When Did I See You Cry" (M. Sweet, David Johnson) - 3:35
- "Make You Mine" - 4:01
- "Passion" - 3:48
- "Live Again" - 3:30
- "If I Die" - 3:22
- "Wait for You" - 3:43
- "Rain" (Paul Heusman, M. Sweet) - 3:45
- "10,000 Years" (Public domain, M. Sweet) - 3:15
- "I.G.W.T." (M. Sweet, Robert Sweet) - 3:17
|Japanese edition bonus tracks|
|12.||"More Than A Man" (Live)|
|13.||"Reach Out" (Live)|
- Michael Sweet - lead vocals, guitar
- Robert Sweet - drums (studio)
- Oz Fox - guitar, backing vocals
- Tracy Ferrie - bass guitar
- Lou Spagnola - bass guitar ("Reborn" and "Passion")
- Derek Kerswill - drums (demos)
- Kenny Lewis - keyboards
- Peter Vantine - keyboards, orchestration
- Alan Magnus - additional background vocals
- Portell, Paul (August 21, 2005). "Stryper Reborn Review". Jesus Freak Hideout. Retrieved March 16, 2011.
- Theakston, Rob (August 16, 2005). "Reborn - Stryper". AllMusic. Retrieved October 25, 2011.
- Rosas, Harold (September 2005). "Reviews / Reborn". CCM Magazine. 28 (3): 51–52. ISSN 1524-7848.
- Best, Steve (February 25, 2006). "Stryper - Reborn Review". Cross Rhythms. Retrieved October 25, 2011.
- Pierce, Ken (August 16, 2005). "Stryper Reborn review". PiercingMetal. Retrieved October 25, 2011.
- "Reborn [Bonus Tracks] - Stryper - Release Info - AllMusic". Retrieved November 7, 2016.