Reclaiming the Glory
||The topic of this article may not meet Wikipedia's notability guideline for events. (April 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Reclaiming the Glory|
Logo for the tournament
|Date||June 2, 2007 – September 1, 2007|
Reclaiming the Glory was a professional wrestling tournament held between June 2, 2007 and September 1, 2007. Promoted by the National Wrestling Alliance, the tournament was the result of the dissolution of the licensing agreement between the NWA and Total Nonstop Action Wrestling. The tournament included 16 international wrestlers fighting to become the new NWA World Heavyweight Champion.
On May 13, 2007 NWA Executive Director Bob Trobich announced that the NWA was severing all ties with TNA Wrestling leaving the NWA World Heavyweight Championship and the NWA World Tag Team Championship vacant. Shortly after this, the Reclaiming the Glory tournament was announced to crown a new NWA Worlds Champion. 16 Men were chosen to compete in the tournament with matches taking place throughout the National Wrestling Alliance’s members and affiliates as well as selected matches in non-affiliated groups Chikara, New England Championship Wrestling and IWA Puerto Rico.
Lou Thesz Bracket
|Glamour Boy Shane|
- (June 9) Fred Sampson defeated Glamor Boy Shane in Mesa, Arizona
- (June 2) Brent Albright defeated Osamu Nishimura in Salyersville, Kentucky
- (June 30) Brent Albright defeated Fred Sampson in Chula Vista, California to win the Lou Thesz Bracket.
Terry Funk Bracket
- (June 16) Claudio Castagnoli defeated Pepper Parks in Danvers, Massachusetts
- (June 30) Sicodelico, Jr. defeated Roughneck Ryan in Lebanon, Tennessee
- (July 21) Claudio Castagnoli defeated Sicodelico, Jr. in Wallingford, Connecticut to win the Terry Funk Bracket.
Jack Brisco Bracket
- (June 16) Bryan Danielson defeated Nelson Creed in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
- (June 30) Fergal Devitt defeated Mikey Nicholls in Quincy, Massachusetts
- (July 21) Bryan Danielson defeated Fergal Devitt in North Tonawanda, New York to win the Jack Brisco Bracket.
Harley Race Bracket
- (June 2) Chad Parham defeated Damian Wayne in Cornelia, Georgia
- (June 2) Adam Pearce defeated Aaron Aguilera in Lodi, New Jersey
The Final Four
1. ^ Adam Pearce took the place of Bryan Danielson (see below)
- (August 18) Bryan Danielson defeated Adam Pearce in North Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
- (August 12) Brent Albright defeated Claudio Castagnoli in Charlotte, North Carolina
NOTE: A week prior to the finals of the tournament, finalist Bryan Danielson suffered a fractured orbital bone in a match with Japanese fighter Takeshi Morishima. As a result, Adam Pearce was reinserted into the tournament and took Danielson’s place in the finals. Danielson, wearing a protective eye patch, did have a hand in the match as the special enforcer to prevent interference from Pearce’s manager C. Edward Vander Pyle. When the assigned referee was knocked unconscious during the match, Danielson took over and counted the pinfall.
- (September 1) Adam Pearce defeated Brent Albright in Bayamon, Puerto Rico to become the new NWA World Heavyweight Champion.
Despite the controversial victory, Pearce would go on to a lengthy and successful eleven-month reign as champion before finally losing the title to Brent Albright on August 2, 2008 in New York City. Due to scheduling conflicts, Bryan Danielson never received his shot at the championship.