This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
1.23.2 / May 23, 2017
|Written in||C++ and Python|
Recoll is a desktop search tool that provides efficient full text search (from single-word to arbitrarily complex boolean searches) in a friendly GUI, with minimum technical sophistication and few mandatory external dependencies. It runs under many Unix-like operating systems, and is mostly independent of the desktop environment.
Recoll was designed not to require a permanent daemon but on Linux systems it can make use of inotify. Recoll updates its index at designed intervals (for example through Cron tasks) but if desired, the indexing task can run as a file-system monitoring daemon for real-time index updates.
The Recoll document conversion and text extraction architecture makes it easy to write new filters, and many document types are supported.
- Qt GUI.
- Xapian backend.
- Indexes the contents of many document types: text, HTML, email stores of all kinds, OpenOffice.org, Microsoft Office and Office Open XML, AbiWord, KWord, Gaim, Lyx, Scribus, PDF, WordPerfect, PostScript, RTF, TeX, DVI, DjVu, MP3 and other audio file formats, JPEG and other image file formats.
- Recursively processes embedded documents (E-Mail attachments, Zip archives) to arbitrary depths.
- Powerful query facilities, with boolean searches, wildcards, phrases, proximity, filter on file types and directory tree. GUI Boolean search build tool.
- Xesam query language support.
- Word stemming is performed at query time (can switch stemming language after indexing).
- Multiple indexes selectable at query time (i.e. personal + system indexes).
- Natively based on Unicode. Supports many languages and character sets, including good support for East Asian texts (CJK).
- MD5 document hashes for the elimination of duplicates in results.
- Batch and real-time indexing modes.
- Python API.
- Kicker (KDE) applet for easy launching.
- Easy installation. No database daemon, web server or exotic language necessary.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Recoll.|