Reconstruction (2003 film)
|Directed by||Christoffer Boe|
|Produced by||Tine Grew Pfeiffer|
|Written by||Christoffer Boe
|Starring||Nikolaj Lie Kaas
|Music by||Thomas Knack|
|Cinematography||Manuel Alberto Claro|
|September 26, 2003|
Reconstruction is a psychological romantic drama film and the debut of Christoffer Boe, who also wrote the screenplay together with Mogens Rukov. It was filmed in Copenhagen and won the Camera D’Or at the Cannes Film Festival in 2003 Golden Plaque for Manuel Alberto Claro's luminous wide-screen cinematography.
Late one evening Alex suddenly abandons his girlfriend, Simone, to pursue the beautiful Aimee (Maria Bonnevie). In his encounter with Aimee time and place dissolve for him and he becomes a stranger to Simone, to whom he cannot return.
“It’s all a film. It’s all a construction,” announces the narrator, who is soon revealed to be a noted Swedish author, August (Krister Henriksson), as well as the tale’s apparent inventor.
The film was shot almost entirely in available light. The crew shot Super 16 on an Arri SR3 using three different stocks. Then the film was scanned, color-graded, and digitally masked to CinemaScope. The scan was a simple one-light, and the team did no color correction, the opposite of today's trend to perform a digital intermediate. They also pushed the emulsion for extra grain.
- Alex David -- Nikolaj Lie Kaas
- Simone,Aimee -- Maria Bonnevie
- Leo Sand -- Nicolas Bro
- Monica -- Ida Dwinger
- Nan Sand -- Helle Fagralid
- Journalist -- Isabella Miehe-Renard
- Fru Banum (Mrs. Banum) -- Malene Schwartz
- Mel David -- Peter Steen
- Tryllekunstner -- Klaus Mulbjerg
- August Holm -- Krister Henriksson
- Mercedes Sand -- Mercedes Claro Schelin
- Waiter -- Jens Blegaa
- Bartender -- Katrin Muth
- Bartender -- David Dencik
- Samuel Barber - "Adagio for Strings"
- Cole Porter - "Night & Day"
- Charles Paul Wilp - "Madison Avenue Perfume Ad"
- Reconstruction at the Internet Movie Database
- "The Reality of Feelings" by Claus Christensen
- "A Man and a Women" by Mark Jenkins