A recreation room (also known as a rec room, rumpus room, play room, playroom, games room, or ruckus room) is a room used for a variety of purposes, such as parties, games and other everyday or casual activities. The term recreation room is common in the United States, while the term rumpus room is common in Australia, New Zealand and Canada; in the United Kingdom, the preferred term is games room. Often children and teenagers entertain their friends in their home's rec room, which is often located in the basement, away from the main living areas of the house. Usually it is a larger space than a living room, enabling the area to serve multiple purposes and entertain moderately large groups.
Recreation rooms can have many themes and contents, depending on their intended use.
Recreation rooms are normally centered on some form of entertainment, typically an audio/video setup. This can consist of something as elaborate as a projection screen with surround sound or something as simple as a base model television.
Tabletop games are frequent in recreation rooms. In addition to games played on a normal table, recreation rooms sometimes include custom game tables for table tennis (ping pong), table football (foosball), table shuffleboard, air hockey, or billiards (pool). Custom tables for casino games such as poker, blackjack, and craps are also common. Other games include dart boards and arcade games such as pinball and video games. More substantial game rooms may have mini bowling lanes, indoor golf simulators, and other specialty amenities. 
Food and drink
- Morollo, Michele Koh. "How to Plan Out a Rec Room in Your Home". Dwell Magazine. Dwell. Retrieved 15 June 2020.
- Newman, Michael (2017). Atari Age - The Emergence of Video Games in America. Cambridge, Massachusetts: MIT Press. p. 81. ISBN 9780262035712. Retrieved 15 June 2020.
- Heple, Dana J.; Ross Wallach, Paul; Hepler, Donald (2013). Drafting and Design for Architecture & Construction. New York: Delmar Cengage Learning. p. 133. ISBN 978-1-111-12813-5. Retrieved 15 June 2020.
- Shannon-Karasik, Caroline. "Basement Rec Room Ideas". HGTV. Scripps Networks, LLC. Retrieved 15 June 2020.
- Shannon-Karasik, Caroline. "Basement Home Theaters and Media Rooms". HGTV. Scripps Networks. Retrieved 15 June 2020.
- Sheumaker, Helen; Wajda, Shirley Teresa (2008). Material Culture in America: Understanding Everyday Life. Santa Barbara, California. p. 383. ISBN 978-1-57607-647-7. Retrieved 15 June 2020.
- Chauhan, Rajni (5 December 2017). "35 Extraordinary Rec Room Ideas To Spice Up Your House". Detect View. Detectview. Retrieved 15 June 2020.
- "26 Game Room Ideas for the Ultimate Entertaining Space". Extra Space. Extra Space Storage Inc. 28 June 2018. Retrieved 15 June 2020.
- Media related to Recreation rooms at Wikimedia Commons