Recreational Forest Reserve of Valverde
Reserve of Valverde (Reserva Florestal de
Recreio do Valverde)
|Forest Park of Valverde|
|Recreational Forest (Florestal de Recreio)|
Inaugurated in 1963, the administrative building of the Direcção dos Recursos Florestais for Santa Maria
|Named for: Valverde|
|Nickname: Parque florestal do Valverde|
|Municipality||Vila do Porto|
|Localities||Vila do Porto|
|River||Ribeira de Valverde|
|- elevation||135 m (443 ft)|
|Geology||Alkali basalt, Tephra, Trachyte, Trachybasalt|
|Founded||Decreto Legislativo Regional 16/1989/A|
|Date||30 August 1989|
|Management||Secretário Regional do Ambiente e do Mar|
|- location||Rua Cônsul Dabney, Colónia Alemã, 140, Horta, Faial|
|- elevation||28 m (92 ft)|
|Owner||Regional Government of the Azores|
|Easiest access||Caminho do Valverde|
|Hours||9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.|
|Wikimedia Commons: Reserva Florestal de Recreio de Valverde|
|Geographic detail from CAOP (2010) produced by Instituto Geográfico Português (IGP)|
The Recreational Forest Reserve of Valverde (Portuguese: Reserva Florestal de Recreio do Valverde) is a recreational forest located centrally on the island of Santa Maria, in the civil parish of Vila do Porto, municipality of Vila do Porto in the Portuguese archipelago of the Azores.
The Reserva Florestal de Recreio de Valverde was created by decree on August 30, 1989 (16/89/A) by the legislature of the Regional Government of the Azores, but dates back to the creation of the Forest Services in 1949.
It is administered by the Secretaria Regional de Agricultura e Pescas (Regional Secretariat for Agriculture and Fishing), and run day-to-day by the Direcção Regional de Recursos Florestais (Regional Directorate of Forest Resources), as the seat of the Forest Services on the island of Santa Maria.
Located in Salvaterra, in the parish of Vila do Porto, the park's 4 hectares are situated at approximately 130 metres (430 ft) above sea level. The park is composed of picnic and play areas with picturesque views, as well as where animals are exhibited. The nature reserve is a unit of multi-use in the Azores archipelago combining several activities; it is oriented towards human-nature interactivity, providing spaces for human leisure (picnicking, barbecues, minor recreational activities, sightseeing, pedestrian trails) with aspects of nature (public education and proximity to flora and fauna associated with the area).
There are short pedestrian trails, with access to various infrastructures; in the past there have been public tours/walks and activities associated with identifying native species of flora and educating residents on conservation.
The highlight of the park is the headquarters building, inaugurated in 1962, based on a pilot project, of French origin.
- IGP, ed. (2010), Carta Administrativa Oficial de Portugal (in Portuguese), Lisbon, Portugal: Instituto Geográfico Português, retrieved 1 July 2011
- GRA, ed. (21 June 2000), Reserva Florestal de Recreio do Valverde (in Portuguese), Ponta Delgada (Azores), Portugal: Governo Regional dos Açores
- DRRF, ed. (2011), Reserva Florestal de Recreio do Valverde (in Portuguese), Ponta Delgada (Azores), Portugal: Direcção Regional de Recursos Florestais
- Isabel Soares de Albergaria (2006), p.38-39
- Albergaria, Isabel Soares de (2006), Parques e Jardins dos Açores [Azores Parks and Gardens], Lisbon, Portugal: Argumentum, ISBN 972-8479-38-7
- DRRF, ed. (2011), Reserva Florestal de Recreio do Valverde (PDF) (in Portuguese), Ponta Delgada (Azores), Portugal: Secretaria de Regional da Agricultura e Pescas/Direcção Regional dos Recuros Florestais, retrieved 1 May 2012
- GRA, ed. (19 September 1989), Decreto Legislativo Regional I Série, N.º 38, de 19 de Setembro (in Portuguese), Ponta Delgada (Azores), Portugal: Jornal Oficial da Região Autonoma dos Açores, retrieved 1 May 2012