Rectal foreign body
|Rectal foreign body|
|Classification and external resources|
Rectal foreign bodies are large foreign items found in the rectum that can be assumed to have been inserted through the anus, rather than reaching the rectum via the mouth and gastrointestinal tract. Smaller, ingested foreign bodies, such as bones eaten with food, can sometimes be found stuck in the rectum upon x-ray.
Rectal foreign bodies, and amateur attempts to remove them, can result in perforation of the bowel, which is a life-threatening medical emergency. Rectal foreign objects are also the subject of a number of urban legends.
Rectal foreign bodies are not an unusual occurrence in hospital emergency rooms.
Reported objects have included, among other items: seven light bulbs; a knife sharpener; two flashlights; a wire spring; a snuff box; an oil can with potato stopper; a toy car; eleven different forms of fruits, vegetables and other foodstuffs; a jeweler's saw; a frozen pig's tail; a tin cup; a beer glass; and one patient's remarkable ensemble collection consisting of spectacles, a suitcase key, a tobacco pouch and a magazine. There are also cases of alive animals inserted into the rectum: one man in China had an eel in his bowels. The fish died shortly after being extracted. 
- Đorđe Martinović
- Foreign body in alimentary tract
- Urethral foreign body insertion
- Butt plug
- Feigelson, S; Maun, D; Silverberg, D; Menes, T (2007). "Removal of a large spherical foreign object from the rectum using an obstetric vacuum device: A case report". The American surgeon. 73 (3): 304–6. PMID 17375796.
- Busch, D. B.; Starling, J. R. (1986). "Rectal foreign bodies: case reports and a comprehensive review of the world's literature". Surgery. 100 (3): 512–519. PMID 3738771.
- Akhtar, M.; Arora, P. (2009). "Case of unusual foreign body in the rectum". Saudi Journal of Gastroenterology. 15 (2): 131. doi:10.4103/1319-3767.48973.
- Khan, S. A.; Davey, C. A.; Khan, S. A.; Trigwell, P. J.; Chintapatla, S (2008). "Munchausen's syndrome presenting as rectal foreign body insertion: A case report". Cases Journal. 1 (1): 243. PMC . PMID 18925957. doi:10.1186/1757-1626-1-243.
- "Chinês enfia enguia de meio metro no ânus e vai parar no hospital".
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Rectal foreign bodies.|