President and Rector of Imperial College London
The President and Rector of Imperial College London is the highest academic official of Imperial College London. The Rector is the chief executive, elected by the Council of the college and Chairman of the Senate. The position is currently held by Alice Gast after the resignation of Keith O'Nions in August 2014.
In 2012 the responsibilities were separated into two posts, the President & Rector whose duty is to "promote Imperial's position as a global university" and Provost who will "be responsible for advancing and delivering the College's core academic mission - education, research and translation." Alice Gast now serves as President & Rector, while James Stirling became the first Provost of Imperial College London in August 2013.
List of Rectors
- 1908 Henry Bovey
- 1910 Alfred Keogh
- 1922 Thomas Henry Holland
- 1929 Henry Tizard
- 1942 Richard Southwell
- 1948 Roderic Hill
- 1954 Patrick Linstead
- 1966 Owen Saunders (Acting Rector)
- 1967 William Penney
- 1973 Brian Flowers
- 1985 Eric Ash
- 1993 Ronald Oxburgh
- 2000 Richard Sykes
- 2008 Roy Anderson
- 2009 Keith O'Nions (Acting Rector)
- 2010 Keith O'Nions (Full appointment)
List of President & Rectors
- Rectors of Imperial College, Search.com.
- Past Rectors, Imperial College London, retrieved 2009-03-21
- "Imperial College London announces plans for new leadership". Imperial College London. 30 April 2012. Retrieved 20 April 2012.
- "James Stirling to be Imperial's first Provost". Imperial College London. 12 December 2012. Retrieved 14 January 2013.
- "Keith O'Nions Takes Over as Rector". Imperial Live!. 2009-01-04.